Yellow Pages Championship Round
Snetterton, 10 Oct 1971
|1||Cyd Williams||Chevron B18C [18.A.71.1] - Ford BDA Eden
(see note 1)
|2||Norman Cuthbert||Brabham BT29  - Ford BDA Hart
(see note 2)
|3||David Morgan||March 713S  - Ford BDA Hart
(see note 3)
|4||John Nicholson||March 702 [S] - Ford BDA Piper
(see note 4)
|5||Vern Schuppan||Palliser WDB4 - Ford twin cam BRM
|6||John Gillmeister||Palliser WDB4 - Ford BDA Richardson
|7||Clive Santo||Palliser WDF3/B4 - Ford BDA Hart
|8||Ed Reeves||Brabham BT35  - Ford BDA Wood
(see note 5)
|R||Tom Belsø||Brabham BT28/35 [BT28-8] - Ford BDA Steel
(see note 6)
|2||Oil leak|| |
|DNS||Bob Salisbury||Brabham BT35  - Ford BDA Hart
(see note 7)
|Did not start
|DNS||Mike Fraser||Merlyn Mk14 - Ford twin cam
||Did not start
|DNS||Chris Oates||Lotus 69 [71/69.1] - Ford BDA Else
(see note 8)
|Did not start
|DNS||Peter Wardle||Lotus 69 [59-XB/F3-38] - Ford BDA Eden
(see note 9)
|Did not start
|DNA||Ray Allen||Royale RP8  - Ford BDA Broadspeed
||Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Cyd Williams||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B18C [18.A.71.1] - Ford BDA Eden||1.28.4|
|2||Tom Belsø||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT28/35 [BT28-8] - Ford BDA Steel|
|3||David Morgan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 713S  - Ford BDA Hart|
|4||Norman Cuthbert||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT29  - Ford BDA Hart|
|5||Vern Schuppan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Palliser WDB4 - Ford twin cam BRM|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B18C [18.A.71.1] (Cyd Williams): Described in MN 25 Mar 1971 p14 report of Oulton Park race, 21 Mar 1971 as 'delivered that morning' for Graham Eden. Eden retired from driving shortly after and got Cyd Williams to drive the car. Retained by Eden for 1972, driven by again Williams until the team's 1972 cars were ready [intended to be Ensigns for Williams and Chris Oates, but cancelled order and replaced by March 722s]. Chassis number observed by Adam Ferrington on Williams's car at Oulton Park, 18 Mar 1972. Sold to Bob Armstrong for the Canadian series in 1973. CMB 1973 season preview says Armstrong's car is ex Eden, bought at the London Racing car show.
- Brabham BT29  (Norman Cuthbert): Advised by Ted Walker as sold to Steve Matchett in 1970 as one of two cars, but neither raced in that season. Sold 1971 to Norman Cuthbert [MN 20 Jan 1972 p5 season review says 'ex Matchett'] and used throughout the Atlantic series. Sold to John Sabourin in 1972 and used in Atlantic until mid-season. [AS 13 Apr 1972 p3 'ex Cuthbert'] Appears at Brands Hatch Christmas meeting. [A/S 4 Jan 1973 p30] For sale by Sabourin early in 1973. [AS 25 Jan 1973 p51] but used in libre races later in the season.
- March 713S  (David Morgan): Shown on March build record as completed around tub AM71-2 then rebuilt on AM71-14 after 5 Mar 1971, reflecting an accident by James Hunt in F3. The works F3 car for Hunt early in 1971, with the chassis number given A/S 25 Mar 71 p35. Then passed to Dave Morgan for 1971 Atlantic races, described [MN 1 Jul 1971 p10] as "brand new" at Snetterton, 27 Jun 1971. Later converted back to F3 spec in 1972 for Mike Wilds until his new Ensign was ready. Retained by Wilds in 1973. Used in F4 in 1976 by Mark Pritchard.
- March 702 [S] (John Nicholson): Described in race reports of its UK debut in the hands of Dave Morgan as 'ex Ganley, Mantorp', being the works development 702 raced only in Sweden by Howden Ganley in 1970 (AS 1 Apr 1971 p34). Sold to John Nicholson who used it for the rest of the 1971 season. Probably the car used in sprints by Martin Steele in 1974.
- Brabham BT35  (Ed Reeves): Chassis number given for Ed Reeves's car in Autosport report of Arco Trophy race at Castle Combe, April 12, 1971, where the car debuts [AS 15 Apr 1971 p20]. Later run by Reeves for Dave Morgan, and retained into 1972 when it wins the Euro F2 round at Mallory Park, and Reeves uses it in Atlantic races. Sold to John Millard in Australia in 1973.
- Brabham BT28/35 [BT28-8] (Tom Belsø): Chassis number given by MN 16 Mar 1972 report of European F2 round at Mallory Park for the car of Tom Belsø and presumed to be the car run by him in British Atlantic rounds from mid season 1971. [F1R refers to this car as BT28-35, but that mistakes the updated specification of the car for a chassis number.] The car was described in entry lists as a BT28/35 as early as July 1971. FS A/S 14 Sep 1972 p56 'Winning F/Atlantic ex Tom Belsø not run since rebuild Annette Morgan Studios, c/o John Benefield' probably sold to Fuller [Guyana]. Originally BT28-8 was an F3 car: on the basis of the appearance dates of other known combinations of owner/number, and the fact that Belsø brought the car to the UK from his native Denmark in 1971 — initially in F3 spec — it is likely to have been the 1969/70 car of Jörgen Ellekaer.
- Brabham BT35  (Bob Salisbury): Sold to Bob Gerard for Bob Salisbury, October 1971. At Castle Combe 9 Oct 1971 the entry list has Salisbury in the Gerard team's BT30, but press reports say he uses a new BT35. Chassis number observed by Adam Ferrington on Salisbury's car at Oulton Park, 18 Mar 1972, and again at Oulton Park, 30 Sep 1972. Press reports sold to Harry Gilbert for 1973 season. Observed by Adam Ferrington on Harry Gilbert's car at Oulton Park, 7 Jul 1973.
- Lotus 69 [71/69.1] (Chris Oates): Number given in Lotus build record for the car sold to Chris Oates, for Atlantic races in 1971 (an unusual number since it does not include a formula code, and this is not the same car as 71/69.1.FB which was sold in North America). The car of Bernard Hunter in libre and occasional Atlantic races in 1972 is described as 'ex Oates'. Subsequently used in libre races by John Barr.
- Lotus 69 [59-XB/F3-38] (Peter Wardle): History given for car when on sale on www.race-cars.com says that this Lotus 59 chassis remained unraced in 1970 [the number 38 suggests it to be a mid-late season build in 1969]. According to Lotus records this chassis was sold to Peter Wardle at the start of 1971 and run by him in Formula Atlantic. Retained by Wardle in 1972, then sold to Gary Ainscough in South Africa.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
The British race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors on the Atlas F1 and 10 Tenths forums.
If you can help with any additions, clarifications or corrections, please respond via the threads shown on the Atlantics page.