BP (British) Formula Atlantic Series Race
Croft, 1 Jul 1973
|1||Stephen Choularton||March 73B  - Ford BDA Autovita
#9 Autovita Developments Ltd (see note 1)
|2||Ken Bailey||March 722  - Ford BDA Eden
#8 H & J Quick Group [Graham Eden Racing?]
|3||Colin Vandervell||March 73B  - Ford BDA Smith
#7 Team Triplex (see note 2)
|4||David Purley||March 722  - Ford BDA Eden
#11 David Purley
|5||Jas Patterson||March 722  - Ford BDA Hart
#17 Texaco Team Racing/RIR
|6||Tom Pryce||Motul M1  - Ford BDA RES
#23 Titan Properties Ltd [Tate of Leeds?]
(see note 3)
|7||Geoff Friswell||March 73B  - Ford BDA
#14 Geoff Friswell (see note 4)
|8||Brian Robinson||Ensign LNF2/72 [F2-1] - Ford BDA Titan
#4 Titan Engine Services
|R||Stan Mathews||Ensign LNFB/73 - Ford BDA Richardson
#12 Promoto (Racing Services)
|R||Ray Mallock||March 73B [712M-5] - Ford BDA Swindon
#2 The Chequered Flag
|R||Jim Murdoch||Tui BH2  - Ford BDA Smith
#19 J R Murdoch
|R||Sonny Rajah||March 732B [73B-13] - Ford BDA RES
#10 Sonny Rajah
|UNKP||Colin Andrews||March 712M [11 as '9'] - Ford BDA Hardwick
#16 Promoto (Racing Services)
|UNKP||Ted Dzierzek||Hawke DL6A  - Ford BDA
#22 Ted Dzierzek (see note 5)
|DNS||Tom Walkinshaw||GRD 273 - Ford BDA RES
#21 Myson Racing with GRD
|Did not start
|DNS||John Lepp||Chevron B25 [25-73-08] - Ford BDA Smith
#15 Central Garage (Mirfield) (see note 6)
|Did not start
|DNA||Harry Gilbert||Brabham BT35  - Ford BDA Richardson
#1 Harry Gilbert (see note 7)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Brian Martin||Martin BM12 ['1'] - Ford BDA Scholar
#3 Pinch Plant Ltd.
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Cyd Williams||Brabham BT40  - Ford BDA Eden
#5 Graham Eden Racing
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Bev Bond||GRD 273 - Ford BDA RES
#18 Custom Made/Harry Stiller Racing
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Bob Salisbury||Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA Hart
#20 F R Gerard
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Stephen Choularton||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B  - Ford BDA Autovita||1m 04.6s|
|2||Ken Bailey||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 722  - Ford BDA Eden||1m 05.0s|
|3||Stan Mathews||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ensign LNFB/73 - Ford BDA Richardson||1m 05.0s|
|-||Colin Vandervell||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B  - Ford BDA Smith||1m 05.4s|
|-||Ray Mallock||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B [712M-5] - Ford BDA Swindon||1m 05.4s|
|-||David Purley||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 722  - Ford BDA Eden||1m 05.6s|
|-||Jas Patterson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 722  - Ford BDA Hart||1m 06.0s|
|-||Geoff Friswell||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B  - Ford BDA||1m 06.4s|
|-||Tom Pryce||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Motul M1  - Ford BDA RES||1m 06.8s|
|-||Jim Murdoch||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Tui BH2  - Ford BDA Smith||1m 07.2s|
|-||Sonny Rajah||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 732B [73B-13] - Ford BDA RES||1m 07.4s|
|-||Brian Robinson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ensign LNF2/72 [F2-1] - Ford BDA Titan||1m 07.6s|
|-||John Lepp *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B25 [25-73-08] - Ford BDA Smith||1m 07.6s|
|-||Tom Walkinshaw *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre GRD 273 - Ford BDA RES||1m 08.0s|
|-||Colin Andrews *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 712M [11 as '9'] - Ford BDA Hardwick||1m 14.2s|
|-||Ted Dzierzek *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Hawke DL6A  - Ford BDA||1m 21.6s|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 73B  (Stephen Choularton): Stephen Choularton (Hale Barns, Cheshire) acquired the first production March 73B and raced it in libre events and in the British F/Atlantic series with support from Autovita Developments Ltd. His mechanic Jim Crawford also raced this car in a libre race that year. Choularton continued with the car in 1974 when it was driven by Crawford in one round, at Brands Hatch in September, after Crawford had damaged his usual car. Choularto retained the car, unused, until 1977 when it was sold to Paul Gardener and used in libre racing in 1977 and 1978. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 73B  (Colin Vandervell): Supplied new to Colin Vandervell for 1973 UK series – much of the provenance comes from Bryan Miller on behalf of the current owner in Australia. The chassis number was noted on Des Donnelly’s car by Adam Ferrington at John Player Atlantic round at Silverstone, July 19, 1975, so the car used by Donnelly throughout 1975 in Ireland. Then unknown to 1978, perhaps kept unraced by Donnelly, when it then appears at the hands of Ken Fildes in Irish races. Unknown again until early 1981, when it appears in Australia in the hands of Graham Brown.
- Motul M1  (Tom Pryce): Sold new to Chris Meek to run in British Atlantic and Libre racing with Tate of Leeds support; also used by Tom Pryce for three Atlantic races. Sold via Fred Opert to Mike Rand (Greenwich, CT) for Formula B in 1974 but damaged in a road accident. Sold still damaged, but with a new tub from Opert, to Ron Ignatowski; rebuilt and used in SCCA Formula C until 1980 when sold to Randy Zimmer as the basis for his Can Am car. Raced with a Volkswagen engine in 1982 and then with a Mazda rotary engine in 1983, 1984, 1985 and 1986. Entered for Jim Del Russo in the 1987 CAT championship. Retained by Zimmer as of 2011.
- March 73B  (Geoff Friswell): According to surviving March records, this was a F/Atlantic car built for Geoff Friswell and raced by him in the UK series through 1973 and 1974. It was then sold to Andy Barton as a libre car and upgraded to 74B and then 75B spec over the next two seasons, also acquiring a F2 BDG engine at times in 1976. Barton sold it to Bob Rollo for 1977, as an Atlantic again, and it then went to Stewart Robb during 1978 in F2 spec. The car was rebuilt on a "new" 752 tub after a crash in 1978 and then rebuilt to 782 spec by Robin Smith after the 1979 season. It was sold to Roger Andreason at Chevron around 1984.
- Hawke DL6A  (Ted Dzierzek): The entry list for the first Atlantic race at Brands includes John Day in a Hawke DL6A-BDA, but the car does not seem to appear before Oulton Park, 3 Jul 1971. Three DL6As are known to exist, chassis 2 and 3 in North America with some traceable histories in 1971. Because of the entry in March, and the absence of chassis 1, this is assumed to have been the first of David Lazenby's few Atlantic cars. The car seems to have been sold to Ted Dzierzek early in 1973 and used in Scottish hillclimbs and libre races.
- Chevron B25 [25-73-08] (John Lepp): The car run by John Lepp and George Silverwood through 1973 in Formula Atlantic. Also used by Lepp in the first European F2 round at Mallory Park, with the 1.6 BDA still in it. (Motoring News 15 Mar 1973 p12 says that Lepp's car was officially Birrell's, but looked like his regular Atlantic car. Autosport comments that Derek Bennett had to do some negotiating to have the car accepted for the race with the Atlantic engine in it.) Sold to Patsy McGarrity at the end of 1973, loaned back by him to works to use in F2 for John Watson at Albi. (MN 20 Sept 1973 comments that he used the car raced by Lepp at Mallory.) Used by McGarrity throughout the 1974 Irish Atlantic season, then sold on to Pat Woods 1975-77 (Autosport 9 Jan 1975 p18); Paddy Farrelly 1978-84. From 1985 through Jeremy Bouckley, Roy Lane, and Mark Colton in 1989. Then to Richard Budge 1990-2002 to Keith Harris who supplied this provenance. Retained by Harris 2006.
- Brabham BT35  (Harry Gilbert): Sold to Bob Gerard for Bob Salisbury, October 1971. At Castle Combe 9 Oct 1971 the entry list has Salisbury in the Gerard team's BT30, but press reports say he uses a new BT35. Chassis number observed by Adam Ferrington on Salisbury's car at Oulton Park, 18 Mar 1972, and again at Oulton Park, 30 Sep 1972. Press reports sold to Harry Gilbert for 1973 season. Observed by Adam Ferrington on Harry Gilbert's car at Oulton Park, 7 Jul 1973.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
The British race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors on the Atlas F1 and 10 Tenths forums.
If you can help with any additions, clarifications or corrections, please respond via the threads shown on the Atlantics page.