John Player (British) Formula Atlantic Series Race
Mallory Park, 25 Aug 1974
|1||David Morgan||Chevron B25 [25-73-04] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#13 Custom Made/Harry Stiller Racing
(see note 1)
|2||John Nicholson||Lyncar 005  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#2 Pinch (Plant) Ltd
|3||Ray Mallock||Brabham BT40  - Ford BDA Swindon
#10 The Chequered Flag
|4||Ken Bailey||Lola T360 [HU1] - Ford BDA LEC
|5||Ted Wentz||March 74B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#21 Wella International Hair Cosmetics
(see note 2)
|6||Stephen Choularton||March 73B  - Ford BDA Hart
#6 S.D.C Racing (see note 3)
|7||Geoff Friswell||March 73B  - Ford BDA Hart
#5 (see note 4)
|8||Nick May||Chevron B25 [25-73-12] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#62 Wessex Finance (see note 5)
|9||Matt Spitzley||March 74B [733-7] - Ford BDA Hart
#22 Rapid Movements Ltd
|10||Val Musetti||March 73B  - Ford BDA Wood
|11||Peter Williams||Chevron B27 [27-74-16] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#32 Pinch (Plant) Ltd (see note 6)
|12||Doug Thomson||GRD 273 [051-F2] - Ford BDA Swindon
#45 Thistle Metallic Ltd
|13||Andy Rouse||March 73B  - Ford BDA Broadspeed
#51 Team Castrol
|R||Tony Brise||Modus M1 [004?] - Ford BDA Holbay
#36 Team Modus
|R||Richard Scott||Lola T360 [HU5] - Ford BDA Richardson
#16 Hurford Jones Ltd
|R||Alan Jones||March 74B [U1] - Ford BDA Richardson
#14 Custom Made/Harry Stiller Racing
|R||Cyd Williams||Brabham BT40  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#11 Graham Eden
|R||Jim Crawford||March 73B ['SDC1'] - Ford BDA Hart
#7 S.D.C Racing
|R||Peter Wardle||Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA Smith
#8 STP Racing Team
|DNS||Wes Dawn||March 73B - Ford BDA Richardson
#67 (see note 7)
|Did not start
|DNA||Richard Knight||March 74B - Ford BDA Close
#33 Multiglide Racing Team
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Gordon Smiley||Elden Mk16 [155/16001/73] - Ford BDA Hart
#35 Elden International Racing
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||John Nicholson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lyncar 005  - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.42.6|
|2||Jim Crawford||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B ['SDC1'] - Ford BDA Hart||0.42.8|
|3||David Morgan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B25 [25-73-04] - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.43.0|
|4||Ted Wentz||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B  - Ford BDA Swindon||0.43.2|
|5||Alan Jones||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B [U1] - Ford BDA Richardson||0.43.4|
|6||Ken Bailey||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU1] - Ford BDA LEC||0.43.6|
|7||Tony Brise||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Modus M1 [004?] - Ford BDA Holbay||0.43.6|
|8||Ray Mallock||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT40  - Ford BDA Swindon||0.43.6|
|9||Peter Wardle||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA Smith||0.43.8|
|10||Cyd Williams||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT40  - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.44.0|
|11||Matt Spitzley||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B [733-7] - Ford BDA Hart||0.44.0|
|12||Val Musetti||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B  - Ford BDA Wood||0.44.2|
|13||Richard Scott||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU5] - Ford BDA Richardson||0.44.2|
|14||Geoff Friswell||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B  - Ford BDA Hart||0.44.4|
|15||Nick May||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B25 [25-73-12] - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.45.2|
|16||Andy Rouse||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B  - Ford BDA Broadspeed||0.45.2|
|17||Peter Williams||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-16] - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.46.4|
|18||Doug Thomson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre GRD 273 [051-F2] - Ford BDA Swindon||0.46.6|
|19||Stephen Choularton||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B  - Ford BDA Hart||0.46.8|
|20||Wes Dawn *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B - Ford BDA Richardson||0.46.8|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B25 [25-73-04] (David Morgan): Sold to Ed Reeves in spring 1973 for Dave Morgan to use in the 1973 European F2 championship. Retained 1974 and used in the British Atlantic championship, run by Harry Stiller. Sold to David Peck (Autosport 2 Jan 75 p3) but seemingly not used. James Murray, whose research on B25s has been invaluable, was advised by David Lambe that his car in 1978 was ex Morgan. Therefore seemingly sold by Peck to Derek Shortall. Former clubmans driver Shortall appears at round one of the 1976 Irish series on 17 Mar 1976 with a B25 backed by Vista Blinds, his long time sponsors. The car is often described as a B25/27 or even as a B27 from early in Shortall’s use. This suggests that the car was bought updated, and perhaps is a pointer towards it having been the ex Morgan car, unused by Peck in 1975, which had undergone significant modification in the 1974 season. Motoring News (MN) 24 Feb 1977 p15 reports this car sold to Dermot O’Leary and Eddie Regan for 1977 Irish season. David Lambe is said to have the ex Shortall car MN 23 Mar 1978 p15 and keeps it in 1979. For sale by Lambe Autosport 1 Nov 1979 p65 with Swindon BDA.
- March 74B  (Ted Wentz): Shown on what is probably an incomplete copy of the March 74B build records made by Gordon Spice Racing as “Planer, White, 2-Nov-73”. Planer was the holding company for the Wella brand, the hair products manufacturer, and the car was presented as a special prize, with Wella sponsorship, to Ted Wentz for winning the 1973 Wella Formula Ford championship. Wentz’s car is later described by MN as ‘the first customer 74B’. Used by Wentz throughout 1974. Sold to Alan Crocker for the British Formula Atlantic series in 1975 and 76. Chassis number observed on Alan Crocker’s car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, described in NZMA as ex Wentz, and similarly in MN, 10 Feb 77. Sold to Ken Smith and rented by him to Ken Sager. To Robbie Booth for 1979. Entered by Robbie Hislop in some races for the 1981-82 Gold Star series but did not appear. Sold to Tony Batchelor who used the car in the 1982 – 83 international series.
- March 73B  (Stephen Choularton): Stephen Choularton (Hale Barns, Cheshire) acquired the first production March 73B and raced it in libre events and in the British F/Atlantic series with support from Autovita Developments Ltd. His mechanic Jim Crawford also raced this car in a libre race that year. Choularton continued with the car in 1974 when it was driven by Crawford in one round, at Brands Hatch in September, after Crawford had damaged his usual car. Choularto retained the car, unused, until 1977 when it was sold to Paul Gardener and used in libre racing in 1977 and 1978. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 73B  (Geoff Friswell): According to surviving March records, this was a F/Atlantic car built for Geoff Friswell and raced by him in the UK series through 1973 and 1974. It was then sold to Andy Barton as a libre car and upgraded to 74B and then 75B spec over the next two seasons, also acquiring a F2 BDG engine at times in 1976. Barton sold it to Bob Rollo for 1977, as an Atlantic again, and it then went to Stewart Robb during 1978 in F2 spec. The car was rebuilt on a "new" 752 tub after a crash in 1978 and then rebuilt to 782 spec by Robin Smith after the 1979 season. It was sold to Roger Andreason at Chevron around 1984.
- Chevron B25 [25-73-12] (Nick May): Chassis number given by Motoring News 14 June 1973 p8 for Brett Lunger's new car, run by Space Racing, at the Nivelles round of the 1973 European F2 championship. Nick May's Wessex Finance car is described as 'ex Lunger' Autosport 3 Oct 1974 p24, used in the second half of the 1974 Atlantic season. Chassis number noted by Adam Ferrington on John Pollock's car at John Player Atlantic round at Silverstone 19 July 1975. Bill Gowdy’s car in 1976 is described as ex-Pollock (Autosport 8 Apr 1976) and seems to have been retained in 1977. Then to Paddy Farrelly 1978-79 to Cyril Lynch, Paul Deveney and Seamus ('Shay') Lawless. This provenance from owner Nick Overall, via Marcus Pye. Retained by Overall 2006.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-16] (Peter Williams): Sold to Peter Williams, June 1974. Motoring News report for John Player Atlantic round at Brands Hatch 14 Sep 1975 describes Mike Franey's Samatco Racing car as 'ex Williams'. John Scannell’s B27 in 1976 Indyatlantic races is described as 'ex Franey'. Interesingly, this car is entered at Brands Hatch 3 Oct 1976 by 'J. Sumner', suggesting that this car is also that used in the Indyatlantic series by Jeremy Sumner, and once by Mike Wilds. The car always appears as #27 and Sumner and Scannell are never entered together. Martin Murphy has an 'ex Williams' B27 at a Thruxton Formula Libre race (MN 31 Mar 1977 p6]. Owned by hill-climber Phil Sharp in 1984.
- March 73B (Wes Dawn): John Gillmeister had a red and white March 73B for the 1974 season but appears only rarely and sells the car mid-season to Gil Nickel Racing for Wes Dawn to drive. Its origins are unknown and it's possible it was not a 73B but was one of the 722s upgraded to 73B spec for 1973 such as Ken Bailey's 722-39. It can be traced to the US and now carries the chassis plate 742-14 but it's not at all clear how it would have come by that identity.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
The British race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors on the Atlas F1 and 10 Tenths forums.
If you can help with any additions, clarifications or corrections, please respond via the threads shown on the Atlantics page.