Can-Am Challenge Race
Mosport Park, 20 Aug 1978
|1||Alan Jones||Lola T333CS [HU7] - Chevrolet V8
#1 Carl A. Haas Racing Teams Ltd.
|60||1h 16m 43.665s
|2||Warwick Brown||Lola T333CS [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
#2 Racing Team V.D.S.
|60||1h 17m 19.2s
|3||Al Holbert||Lola T333CS [HU9] - Chevrolet V8
#10 Hogan Racing Ltd.
|4||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||Spyder NF-10 [CA-01] - Chevrolet V8
#3 Newman Freeman Racing
|5||George Follmer||Prophet - Chevrolet V8
#8 U.S. Racing - Herb Caplan
|6||Vern Schuppan||Elfin MR8A-C  - Chevrolet V8
#11 Vern Schuppan/Robert Boxx
|7||Rocky Moran||Lola T333CS [T332 HU29] - Chevrolet V8
#58 Rocky Moran
|8||Howard Kelly||Lola T332/Riley [HU33] - Chevrolet V8
#9 Nagel Racing Ent.
|9||Michael L. Allen||Lola T332 [HU46] - Chevrolet V8
#59 Don Weber
|10||John Morton||Lola T333CS [HU8] - Chevrolet V8
#46 John Morton
|11||Horst Kroll||Lola T330/T332 [HU2] - Chevrolet V8
#37 Kroll's Auto Service Ltd.
|12||Tony Cicale||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre Cicale-Ralt RT1 [RT1-94] - Ford
#47 Cicale Champion Racing
|13||Jean-Pierre Jarier||Shadow DN10 - Dodge V8
#0 Shadow Racing
|14||Michael Brayton||Wolf-Brayton 001 - Chevrolet V8
#12 Michael Brayton
|15||John Gunn||Lola T332 [HU47] - Chevrolet V8
#39 Gunn's Goodies
|16||Dean Dietrich||March 76A  - Chevrolet V8
#43 Dietrich Racing Ltd. (see note 1)
|17||Alain de Cadenet||(sports) 3-litre De Cadenet Lola LM [LM-4] - Cosworth DFV V8
#4 British Post Office
|18||S Peter Smith||(sports) 2-litre Chevron B19/B21 [71-06] - Ford
#54 Red Roof Inns
|19||Dave Johnson||(sports) 2-litre Lola T290 [HU34] - Ford BDG
#60 PSB Speakers
|20||Warren Purdy||(sports) 2-litre Lola T290 [HU27] - Cosworth FVC
#51 Warren Purdy
|21||Ray Petry||(sports) 1.8-litre Chevron B21 [72-3] - Cosworth BDE
#68 (see note 2)
|22||E. B. Lunken||(sports) 2-litre March 73S  - Ford
#61 E. B. Lunken Racing (see note 3)
|23||Bill Tempero||Chevron B78C - Chevrolet V8
#15 Cloverleaf Texaco
|24||Leonard Janke||Lola T332/Riley - Chevrolet V8
#56 Janke Auto Co.
|25||David Giorgi||(G7) 5-litre Lola T160 [SL160/9] - Chevrolet V8
#86 The Winner's Circle
|T||Horst Kroll||Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
Kroll's Auto Service Ltd.
|(Only used in practice)|
|DNP||Randolph Townsend||Shadow DN10 - Dodge V8
#0 Shadow Racing
|Did not take part in official practice
(Townsend at political meeting)
|DNP||Thomas C. Jones||March 74A  - Chevrolet V8
#27 Development 5000 (see note 4)
|Did not take part in official practice|
|DNP||John Timken||(sports) 2-litre Lola T296 [HU88] - Ford
#94 Essex Racing Service (see note 5)
|Did not take part in official practice|
|DNA||Brian Burgess||(sports) 2-litre Chevron B21/B23 [72-27] - Hart 420R
#13 Dog Ring Services
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||TBA||Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
#30 Kroll's Auto Service Ltd.
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 5-litre Can-Am unless noted.
|1||Alan Jones||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T333CS [HU7] - Chevrolet V8||1m 14.587s|
|2||Warwick Brown||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T333CS [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||1m 15.776s|
|3||Al Holbert||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T333CS [HU9] - Chevrolet V8||1m 15.874s|
|4||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||(Can-Am) 5-litre Spyder NF-10 [CA-01] - Chevrolet V8||1m 15.991s|
|5||George Follmer||(Can-Am) 5-litre Prophet - Chevrolet V8||1m 16.486s|
|6||Vern Schuppan||(Can-Am) 5-litre Elfin MR8A-C  - Chevrolet V8||1m 16.982s|
|7||Howard Kelly||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T332/Riley [HU33] - Chevrolet V8||1m 17.677s|
|8||John Gunn||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU47] - Chevrolet V8||1m 17.735s|
|9||John Morton||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T333CS [HU8] - Chevrolet V8||1m 17.839s|
|10||Rocky Moran||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T333CS [T332 HU29] - Chevrolet V8||1m 18.054s|
|11||Jean-Pierre Jarier||(Can-Am) 5-litre Shadow DN10 - Dodge V8||1m 18.589s|
|12||Horst Kroll||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T330/T332 [HU2] - Chevrolet V8||1m 18.605s|
|13||Bill Tempero||(Can-Am) 5-litre Chevron B78C - Chevrolet V8||1m 19.214s|
|14||Leonard Janke||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T332/Riley - Chevrolet V8||1m 21.964s|
|15||Dean Dietrich||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 76A  - Chevrolet V8||1m 22.016s|
|16||Michael L. Allen||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU46] - Chevrolet V8||1m 22.104s|
|17||Michael Brayton||(Can-Am) 5-litre Wolf-Brayton 001 - Chevrolet V8||1m 22.778s|
|18||S Peter Smith||(sports) 2-litre Chevron B19/B21 [71-06] - Ford||1m 23.692s|
|19||Tony Cicale||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre Cicale-Ralt RT1 [RT1-94] - Ford||1m 24.501s|
|20||Dave Johnson||(sports) 2-litre Lola T290 [HU34] - Ford BDG||1m 25.493s|
|21||Ray Petry||(sports) 1.8-litre Chevron B21 [72-3] - Cosworth BDE||1m 25.858s|
|22||Alain de Cadenet||(sports) 3-litre De Cadenet Lola LM [LM-4] - Cosworth DFV V8||1m 26.635s|
|23||E. B. Lunken||(sports) 2-litre March 73S  - Ford||1m 31.325s|
|24||David Giorgi||(G7) 5-litre Lola T160 [SL160/9] - Chevrolet V8||1m 39.242s|
|25||Warren Purdy||(sports) 2-litre Lola T290 [HU27] - Cosworth FVC||2m 19.759s|
|26||John Timken *||(sports) 2-litre Lola T296 [HU88] - Ford||no time|
|27||Thomas C. Jones *||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 74A  - Chevrolet V8||no time|
|28||Randolph Townsend *||(Can-Am) 5-litre Shadow DN10 - Dodge V8||no time|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76A  (Dean Dietrich): For Doug Shierson using monocoque 'M76A:01' and gearbox DG300-445 and fitted with 5-litre Bartz-Chevrolet for US F5000 series. Run by Sid Taylor and driven by Alan Jones. First run at Silverstone 9 Jun 1976. Jones won on his debut at Watkins Glen on 11 Jul but drove a Lola T332C at the next race and the March was handed over to Bruce Allison, who failed to start. The car reappeared back in Shierson's possession at Riverside on 17 Oct, driven by Maurizio Flammini. The Italian qualified 13th but retired early from both his heat and the final with mechanical problems. To Dean Dietrich: raced in Can-Am 1978 (4 races); Can-Am 1979 (4 races). Dean recalls selling the car to someone in Texas but does not remember the name. Subsequent history unknown.
- Chevron B21 [72-3] (Ray Petry): Sold new to Peter Smith and raced by him and co-driver David Welpton through 1972 and 1973 primarily in distance events across Europe but also in some short British events. Updated to B23 specification for 1974 and raced by Smith with various co-drivers including Rupert Keegan. Co-drivers in 1975 included John Turner. The car was replaced by the ex-KVG/John Hine Chevron B31 for 1976 and was sold to Ray Petry (Boston, MA) for SCCA racing and then for the new Can-Am series that started in 1977. Ray used an ex-Rondel 1840cc BDE engine that he'd bought from Tony Cicale. Raced in Can-Am 1978 to 1980. Ray later sold the car to dealer Mike Gue (Essex Racing) who sold it to Canada. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 73S  (E. B. Lunken): Sold new to Henry Candler (Lakewood, CO) and used by him in a few British sport car races in May and June 1973, before he took it back to the US for SCCA racing in the BSR class. Candler soon decided the car was too quick for him, and he sold the car to his cousin, Edmund Backus Lunken (Cincinatti, Ohio), who entered his cars as E. B. Lunken, and was known to his friends as Ebby. Lunken first raced the car in 1977, then used it in the Can-Am series from 1978 to 1982. There has been some debate over the engine used in the 73S during this time, with some reports that it was a Ford, and others that it was a BMW. Irv Zwicker, who built engine for Ebby, says Lunken used BMW engine with Heidegger rods, Kugelfischer fuel injection and a proprietary intake cam. Lunken still had the car in 2006.
- March 74A  (Thomas C. Jones): Dempster Developments UK 1974: for Mike Wilds at R1 (second), then retubbed for R2 (second). Tested by Taylor prior to R3 Silvestone 6 Apr. For Wilds at R3 (sixth) then replaced by newer 74A/2 and returned to Bicester. Probably for Wilds again after destruction of 74A/2: three or four races (R10, R11, R13?, R14). To Mick Hill UK 1975 - Bill Blackledge (then based in Jamaica) 1976 and then via John Gunn Feb 1977 to Tom Jones: raced in Can-Am 1977 (2 races), SCCA FA 1978, Can-Am 1979 (2 DNS), Can-Am 1980 (1 DNS); retained 2010.
- Lola T296 [HU88] (John Timken): Sold new by Carl Haas to James Trueman of red Roof Inns (Columbus, OH), and supplied with a Swindon BDX engine. Raced by Trueman in Can-Am but also by Bobby Rahal in two Canadian Can-Am events. Raced again by Trueman in Cam-Am in early 1978. Sold at some point to Rahal's father Michael G. Rahal who sold it to John Timken (Lyme, CT) in July 1978. Timken raced it for the rest of that season and into 1979. Marcus Pye recalls that Timken crashed it at some point but kept the damaged car for many years. In the late 1990s, Timken sold it to Fred Kaimer (Concord, CA) who raced it in vintage events. Still being raced by Kaimer in 2006 but later owned by Pascal Thébault.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.