Canadian American Prototype Thunder Car Race
Hallett, 7 Jun 1987
|1||Al Lamb||Frissbee GR2 - Chevrolet V8
|2||Mike Snow||(Can-Am) March 85C  - Pontiac
(see note 1)
|3||Horst Kroll||Frissbee-Lola KR3 [Lola T330 HU2] - Chevrolet V8
|4||Bill Tempero||March 85C  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 2)
|5||Ted Boody||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre March 832 - BMW M12/7
|6||Randy Zimmer||(Can-Am) 5.9-litre March 83C - Chevrolet 358 ci V8
|7||Buddy Lazier||March 85C  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 3)
|8||Jim Del Russo||(Can-Am 2l) 2.6-litre Rondel M1  - Mazda 13B twin rotor
(see note 4)
|9||Jim Slack||Frissbee-Lola KR5 [Lola T300 HU15] - Chevrolet V8
|10||Bruce Langson||Langson 02 - Chevrolet V8
|11||Cliff Dawson||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre March 832  - Hart 420R
|12||Bill Hill||(Can-Am 2l) 2.6-litre Lola T360 [HU2] - Mazda 13B twin rotor
|13||Wayne Rutherford||March 85C - Chevrolet V8
|14||Mauro Lanaro||(Can-Am 2l) 1.7-litre March 74B/77B  - Ford BDD
|15||Jim Gradel||March 847  - Chevrolet V8
|16||Jay Braffett||Lola T300 [HU17] - Chevrolet V8
|17||John Macaluso||Frissbee-Lola [HU11] - Chevrolet V8
|18||David Locke||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre Cicale-March 77B - Hart 420R
|19||Fred Parkhill||Lola T333CS [T332 HU39] - Chevrolet V8
|DNS||Bill Scott||McKee Mk 18A ['1'] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 5)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Gene Forsthofel||(unknown) unknown [prob Penske PC9B/005]
||Did not start|
All cars are 5-litre Can-Am unless noted.
|1||Al Lamb||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee GR2 - Chevrolet V8||1m 12.1s|
|2||Buddy Lazier||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C  - Chevrolet V8||1m 14.11s|
|3||Horst Kroll||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee-Lola KR3 [Lola T330 HU2] - Chevrolet V8||1m 14.53s|
|4||Randy Zimmer||(Can-Am) 5.9-litre March 83C - Chevrolet 358 ci V8||1m 15.21s|
|5||David Locke||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre Cicale-March 77B - Hart 420R||1m 17.59s|
|6||Ted Boody||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre March 832 - BMW M12/7||1m 19.54s|
|7||Bruce Langson||(Can-Am) 5-litre Langson 02 - Chevrolet V8|
|8||John Macaluso||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee-Lola [HU11] - Chevrolet V8|
|9||Jim Del Russo||(Can-Am 2l) 2.6-litre Rondel M1  - Mazda 13B twin rotor||1m 21.41s|
|10||Jay Braffett||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU17] - Chevrolet V8||1m 22.77s|
|11||Bill Tempero||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C  - Chevrolet V8||1m 15.6s|
|12||Bill Hill||(Can-Am 2l) 2.6-litre Lola T360 [HU2] - Mazda 13B twin rotor|
|13||Mauro Lanaro||(Can-Am 2l) 1.7-litre March 74B/77B  - Ford BDD||1m 24.96s|
|14||Cliff Dawson||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre March 832  - Hart 420R||1m 24.09s|
|15||Mike Snow||(Can-Am) March 85C  - Pontiac|
|16||Fred Parkhill||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T333CS [T332 HU39] - Chevrolet V8|
|17||Jim Slack||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee-Lola KR5 [Lola T300 HU15] - Chevrolet V8||1m 47.99s|
|18||Jim Gradel||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 847  - Chevrolet V8|
|19||Wayne Rutherford||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C - Chevrolet V8|
Notes on the cars:
- March 85C  (Mike Snow): Mike Snow's #26 March 85C-Pontiac Can-Am car was identified at Willow Springs in 1987 by Martin Spetz as 85C-11 "ex-Rahal runner Indy '85".
- March 85C  (Bill Tempero): Bill Tempero's #2 March 85C Can-Am car was identified at Willow Springs in 1987 by Martin Spetz as 85C-51 "ex-Rahal".
- March 85C  (Buddy Lazier): Buddy Lazier's #19 March 85C Can-Am car was identified at Willow Springs in 1987 by Martin Spetz as 85C-08 "ex-Rahal".
- Rondel M1  (Jim Del Russo): Sold new to Chris Meek to run in British Atlantic and Libre racing with Tate of Leeds support; also used by Tom Pryce for three Atlantic races. Sold via Fred Opert to Mike Rand (Greenwich, CT) for Formula B in 1974 but damaged in a road accident. Sold still damaged, but with a new tub from Opert, to Ron Ignatowski; rebuilt and used in SCCA Formula C until 1980 when sold to Randy Zimmer as the basis for his Can Am car. Raced with a Volkswagen engine in 1982 and then with a Mazda rotary engine in 1983, 1984, 1985 and 1986. Entered for Jim Del Russo in the 1987 CAT championship. Retained by Zimmer as of 2011.
- McKee Mk 18A ['1'] (Bill Scott): New for Dick DeJarld (Joliet, IL) in 1972, and raced in SCCA Formula A events. Appeared at the Michigan Pro F5000 event in 1973 but did not qualify from the heat. Raced by DeJarld until sold to Ed Midgley (Geneva, IL) for 1976, when it was also raced by Jerry Hansen at Blackhawk Farms. To Robert Goulet (Wauwatsoa, WI) for 1977, and raced in SCCA Formula A. Goulet converted the McKee to sports car bodywork for 1979, appearing at Brainerd in July that year in the ASR class. Raced in Can-Am in 1980 and 1981, then renamed the "Sabre 001" for Can-Am again in 1983, and again in 1985. To Bob McKee and raced by Bill Scott in CAT races in 1986 and 1987. Then restored to its original specification for new owner Tom Simpson (Peoria, IL), and used in vintage racing, appearing at the Chicago Historic Races at Road America in 1988. It ran alongside several other McKee cars in historic races at Road America in the early 1990s, and also ran at HSR Mid-Ohio in August 1993. After a 20-year gap, Simpson ran the Mk 18 again in historic events in 2006.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.