Canadian American Prototype Thunder Car Race
Pueblo, 6 Sep 1987
|1||Bill Tempero||March 85C  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 1)
|56||1h 23m 34.64s
|2||Al Lamb||Frissbee GR2 - Chevrolet V8
Texas American Racing Team
|56||1h 23m 44.85s
|3||Buddy Lazier||March 85C  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 2)
|4||Mike Engstrand||Chevron B24 [24-73-02] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 3)
|5||Jim Gradel||March 847  - Chevrolet V8
|6||Wayne Rutherford||March 85C - Chevrolet V8
|7||John Raecker||Chevron B24/B28 - Chevrolet V8
|8||Horst Kroll||Frissbee-Lola KR3 [Lola T330 HU2] - Chevrolet V8
|9||Cliff Dawson||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre March 832  - Hart 420R
|10||John Macaluso||Frissbee-Lola [HU11] - Chevrolet V8
|11||Randy Zimmer||(Can-Am) 5.9-litre March 83C - Chevrolet 358 ci V8
|12||Mike Snow||(Can-Am) March 85C  - Pontiac
(see note 4)
|13||Bill Scott||March 85C - Chevrolet V8
|14||Dave Smith||Shadow DN10 [DN8/3A] - Dodge V8
|15||Robert Rushmore||(S2000) 2-litre Lola T592 - Ford Pinto ohc
|16||Fred Parkhill||Lola T333CS [T332 HU39] - Chevrolet V8
|17||Danny Collins||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre Macho - Ford Pinto ohc
|18||Jim Del Russo||(Can-Am 2l) 2.6-litre Rondel M1  - Mazda 13B twin rotor
(see note 5)
|19||Bill Hill||(Can-Am 2l) 2.6-litre Lola T360 [HU2] - Mazda 13B twin rotor
All cars are 5-litre Can-Am unless noted.
|1||Al Lamb||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee GR2 - Chevrolet V8||1m 25.59s|
|2||Mike Snow||(Can-Am) March 85C  - Pontiac||1m 25.69s|
|3||Bill Tempero||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C  - Chevrolet V8||1m 27.3s|
|4||Buddy Lazier||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C  - Chevrolet V8||1m 29.2s|
|5||Randy Zimmer||(Can-Am) 5.9-litre March 83C - Chevrolet 358 ci V8||1m 29.67s|
|6||Bill Scott||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C - Chevrolet V8||1m 30.18s|
|7||Jim Gradel||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 847  - Chevrolet V8||1m 31.75s|
|8||John Macaluso||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee-Lola [HU11] - Chevrolet V8||1m 31.77s|
|9||Wayne Rutherford||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C - Chevrolet V8||1m 32.87s|
|10||Horst Kroll||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee-Lola KR3 [Lola T330 HU2] - Chevrolet V8||1m 33.02s|
|11||Mike Engstrand||(Can-Am) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-02] - Chevrolet V8||1m 34.5s|
|12||Jim Del Russo||(Can-Am 2l) 2.6-litre Rondel M1  - Mazda 13B twin rotor||1m 35.21s|
|13||John Raecker||(Can-Am) 5-litre Chevron B24/B28 - Chevrolet V8||1m 37.11s|
|14||Fred Parkhill||(Can-Am) 5-litre Lola T333CS [T332 HU39] - Chevrolet V8||1m 38.98s|
|15||Cliff Dawson||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre March 832  - Hart 420R||1m 39.64s|
|16||Bill Hill||(Can-Am 2l) 2.6-litre Lola T360 [HU2] - Mazda 13B twin rotor||1m 40.07s|
|17||Robert Rushmore||(S2000) 2-litre Lola T592 - Ford Pinto ohc||1m 40.87s|
|18||Danny Collins||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre Macho - Ford Pinto ohc||1m 43.78s|
|19||Dave Smith||(Can-Am) 5-litre Shadow DN10 [DN8/3A] - Dodge V8|
Notes on the cars:
- March 85C  (Bill Tempero): Bill Tempero's #2 March 85C Can-Am car was identified at Willow Springs in 1987 by Martin Spetz as 85C-51 "ex-Rahal".
- March 85C  (Buddy Lazier): Buddy Lazier's #19 March 85C Can-Am car was identified at Willow Springs in 1987 by Martin Spetz as 85C-08 "ex-Rahal".
- Chevron B24 [24-73-02] (Mike Engstrand): New for 1973 season. Doug Shierson for Peter Gethin: raced in UK 1973 (won Race of Champions) and US 1973. To Roger Bighouse (Eastlake, OH): raced in US 1974 (7 races); US 1975 (4 races + 1 DNS) - Pat McGonegle (Cincinnati, OH): raced in US 1976 (1 race) and Can-Am 1977 (4 races + 1 DNS); probably the car entered by McGonegle as 'Mannix MX-2' in Can-Am 1978; advertised April 1979 - Danny Johnson (Kewanee, IL) 1979: raced in Can-Am 1979 (1 race), Can-Am 1981 (5 races), Can-Am 1982 (6 races) - Brian R Taylor (now Clive, Iowa) for Mike Engstrand (Des Moines, Iowa): raced in Can-Am 1985 (3 races) - Chuck Haines (St Louis, MO) - Anthony Taylor (Blackburn, UK) 2001: due to be rebuilt and raced in FORCE Historic F5000 series (UK) 2001. Then unknown until owned by Greg Thornton in 2011 and raced in UK and New Zealand 2011/12. Badly damaged in a fire at Thornton's garage in June 2012 but completely reconstructed.
- March 85C  (Mike Snow): Mike Snow's #26 March 85C-Pontiac Can-Am car was identified at Willow Springs in 1987 by Martin Spetz as 85C-11 "ex-Rahal runner Indy '85".
- Rondel M1  (Jim Del Russo): Sold new to Chris Meek to run in British Atlantic and Libre racing with Tate of Leeds support; also used by Tom Pryce for three Atlantic races. Sold via Fred Opert to Mike Rand (Greenwich, CT) for Formula B in 1974 but damaged in a road accident. Sold still damaged, but with a new tub from Opert, to Ron Ignatowski; rebuilt and used in SCCA Formula C until 1980 when sold to Randy Zimmer as the basis for his Can Am car. Raced with a Volkswagen engine in 1982 and then with a Mazda rotary engine in 1983, 1984, 1985 and 1986. Entered for Jim Del Russo in the 1987 CAT championship. Retained by Zimmer as of 2011.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.