Irish Formula Atlantic Series Race
Mondello Park, 11 May 1975
|1||Patsy McGarrity||Chevron B29 [29-75-07] - Ford BDA Fred Smith
|2||Harold McGarrity||Chevron B25 [25-73-05] - Ford BDA
(see note 1)
|3||Des Donnelly||March 73B  - Ford BDA
#4 (see note 2)
|4||Bill Gowdy||Crosslé 22F [22F-72-01] - Ford BDA
|5||John Smith||March 722  - Ford BDA
|6||Tom O'Leary||Brabham BT40  - Ford BDA
|7||Paddy Heron||Brabham BT30  - Ford BDA
(see note 3)
|8||Walter Kinnear||Lotus 69 [71/69.1.F2] - Ford BDA
(see note 4)
|R||John Pollock||Chevron B25 [25-73-12] - Ford BDA
Gerry Kinnane (see note 5)
|R||Patrick Woods||Chevron B25 [25-73-08] - Ford BDA
(see note 6)
|R||Dairmuid McFeeley||March 73B [722-5] - Ford BDA
|R||Austin Kinsella||March 722B - Ford BDA
|R||Ken Fildes||Lotus 69 [71/69.3.F2] - Ford BDA
|R||Jim Sherry||Chevron B20 [72-8] - Ford BDA
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|Qualifying information not available|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B25 [25-73-05] (Harold McGarrity): Used by Martin Webb for the first half of the British Atlantic season but without a great deal of success, and also in libre events. By a process of elimination the car seems to go in 1974 to Chris Skellern, who uses it in libre races, hill climbs and sprints. For sale by Skellern Autosport 16 May 1974 p64 with Hart BDA; again 27 Mar 1975. The ad in 1975 is perfectly timed to meet the acquisition of a B25 by Harrold McGarrity for the Irish season. The Peck car (chassis 4) is on the market much at the same time, but this went to Shortall, so it is a reasonable assumption that chassis 5 was McGarrity's. Retained by Harrold McGarrity to 1977 and a strong candidate for the 'B27' of Bosco O'Brien in 1978 (though there is a possibility that this was a real B27).
- March 73B  (Des Donnelly): Supplied new to Colin Vandervell for 1973 UK series – much of the provenance comes from Bryan Miller on behalf of the current owner in Australia. The chassis number was noted on Des Donnelly’s car by Adam Ferrington at John Player Atlantic round at Silverstone, July 19, 1975, so the car used by Donnelly throughout 1975 in Ireland. Then unknown to 1978, perhaps kept unraced by Donnelly, when it then appears at the hands of Ken Fildes in Irish races. Unknown again until early 1981, when it appears in Australia in the hands of Graham Brown.
- Brabham BT30  (Paddy Heron): Autosport identifies BT30-12 as Reid's F2 car in 1971 implying BT30-8 was his FVC libre car. As BT30-8 is advertised by Bobby Howlings in late 1971, it is reasonable to assume that it was BT30-12 that Reid retained for the early part of 1972, still FVA-powered. That car goes to Nelson Todd in July 1972 and has then been tentatively identified as John Pollock's 1973 car, Harold McGarrity's 1974 car and Paddy Heron's 1975 BT30.
- Lotus 69 [71/69.1.F2] (Walter Kinnear): Walter Kinnear has a Lotus 69 in 1973 which is described (MN 3 May and 10 May) as ex-Ikuzawa and can be identified with a high degree of confidence as 69/71.1.F2. At this point, the other ex-Ikuzawa F2 69 [69.F2.2] is being used by Farrelly, with MN and AS both calling the car ex Pollock and MN adding Kinnane. The FB Lotus 69 that Ikuzawa drove once, at the 1971 JAF GP, can almost certainly be discounted as well as it is in the UK during this time. The last time 69/71.1.F2 was seen was therefore likely to be the advert placed by Johnny Blades for an ex-Ikuzawa 69 in Autosport 15 Mar 1973 p59. Kinnear continues to drive the car in 1974 and 1975 with a BDA engine in Irish F/Atlantic.
- Chevron B25 [25-73-12] (John Pollock): Chassis number given by Motoring News 14 June 1973 p8 for Brett Lunger's new car, run by Space Racing, at the Nivelles round of the 1973 European F2 championship. Nick May's Wessex Finance car is described as 'ex Lunger' Autosport 3 Oct 1974 p24, used in the second half of the 1974 Atlantic season. Chassis number noted by Adam Ferrington on John Pollock's car at John Player Atlantic round at Silverstone 19 July 1975. Bill Gowdy’s car in 1976 is described as ex-Pollock (Autosport 8 Apr 1976) and seems to have been retained in 1977. Then to Paddy Farrelly 1978-79 to Cyril Lynch, Paul Deveney and Seamus ('Shay') Lawless. This provenance from owner Nick Overall, via Marcus Pye. Retained by Overall 2006.
- Chevron B25 [25-73-08] (Patrick Woods): The car run by John Lepp and George Silverwood through 1973 in Formula Atlantic. Also used by Lepp in the first European F2 round at Mallory Park, with the 1.6 BDA still in it. (Motoring News 15 Mar 1973 p12 says that Lepp's car was officially Birrell's, but looked like his regular Atlantic car. Autosport comments that Derek Bennett had to do some negotiating to have the car accepted for the race with the Atlantic engine in it.) Sold to Patsy McGarrity at the end of 1973, loaned back by him to works to use in F2 for John Watson at Albi. (MN 20 Sept 1973 comments that he used the car raced by Lepp at Mallory.) Used by McGarrity throughout the 1974 Irish Atlantic season, then sold on to Pat Woods 1975-77 (Autosport 9 Jan 1975 p18); Paddy Farrelly 1978-84. From 1985 through Jeremy Bouckley, Roy Lane, and Mark Colton in 1989. Then to Richard Budge 1990-2002 to Keith Harris who supplied this provenance. Retained by Harris 2006.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
The Irish race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors on the Atlas F1 and 10 Tenths forums.
If you can help with any additions, clarifications or corrections, please respond via the threads shown on the Atlantics page.