Players (Canadian) Formula Atlantic Series Race
Gimli, 16 Jun 1974
|1||Tom Klausler||Lola T360 [HU2] - Ford BDA Smith
|2||Craig Hill||Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA
#4 Fother-Hill Ltd
|3||Hugh 'Wink' Bancroft||Chevron B27 [27-74-05] - Ford BDA Hart
#6 Fred Opert Racing (see note 1)
|4||Peter Ferguson||Chevron B20 [72-7] - Ford twin cam Hart
|5||Bill Eagles||Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA
#46 Tex Made Racing
|6||Bruce Jensen||March 74B  - Ford BDA
#41 Bruce Jensen Racing
|7||Chris O'Brien||Rondel M1  - Ford BDA
(see note 2)
|8||Dave Morris||March 74B  - Ford BDA
#74 The Motor Racing Co. of Canada Ltd
|9||James King||Chevron B27 [27-74-04] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#22 Douglas Shierson Racing (see note 3)
|48||Accident damage|| |
|10||Al Justason||Rondel M1 - Ford BDA
|11||Peter W. Broeker||Chevron B27 [27-74-17] - Ford BDA Hart
Stebro Racing (see note 4)
|12||Hugh Cree||Brabham BT35  - Ford twin cam
|13||Chip Mead||Chevron B27 [27-74-03] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#23 Douglas Shierson Racing (see note 5)
|14||Tim Cooper||March 73B - Ford BDA
#19 Charlie Williams Racing
|15||David Loring||Merlyn Mk21 [320.FB.71] - Ford BDA Nicholson
Charlie Williams Racing
|R||Bill O'Connor||Lola T360 [HU3] - Ford BDA Smith
|R||Bobby Brown||March 74B  - Ford BDA Smith
#78 B&B Racing Enterprises
|R||Gilles Villeneuve||March 74B  - Ford BDA
|R||Bertil Roos||Chevron B27 [27-74-06] - Ford BDA Hart
#5 Fred Opert Racing (see note 6)
|29||Bodywork damage|| |
|R||Bill Brack||Lotus 59 - Ford BDA Hart
|1||Collision with Roos|| |
|UNK||Fred Beyer||Brabham BT35 - Ford twin cam
|UNK||Joe Shepherd||Chevron B20 [72-4] - Ford twin cam
|UNK||Seb Barone||Rondel M1 - Ford BDA
|UNK||Mauro Lanaro||March 71BM  - Ford twin cam
|DNSP||Ric Forest||March 73B  - Ford BDA Greatorex
||Did not start (retired on parade lap)|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Hugh 'Wink' Bancroft||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-05] - Ford BDA Hart||0.54.102|
|2||Bill Brack||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lotus 59 - Ford BDA Hart||0.54.336|
|3||Bertil Roos||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-06] - Ford BDA Hart||0.55.229|
|4||Bobby Brown||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B  - Ford BDA Smith||0.55.323|
|5||Tom Klausler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU2] - Ford BDA Smith|
|6||Gilles Villeneuve||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B  - Ford BDA||0.55.454|
|7||Chris O'Brien||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Rondel M1  - Ford BDA||0.55.563|
|8||Peter Ferguson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B20 [72-7] - Ford twin cam Hart||0.55.661|
|9||James King||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-04] - Ford BDA Nicholson|
|10||Chip Mead||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-03] - Ford BDA Nicholson|
|11||David Loring||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Merlyn Mk21 [320.FB.71] - Ford BDA Nicholson|
|12||Ric Forest *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B  - Ford BDA Greatorex||0.56.061|
|13||Bill O'Connor||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU3] - Ford BDA Smith||0.56.161|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B27 [27-74-05] (Hugh 'Wink' Bancroft): An Opert team car, used by Hugh "Wink" Bancroft in 1974. Possibly also used by Roos and James Crawley in SCCA before the Canadian season started. The car was owned by Bancroft, who according to Formula and Sports Car retained it unraced in 1975, and then wheeled it out again for a few SCCA So Pac division races in early 1976. (Riverside SCCA Feb uses 'the same B27 that he campaigned in 1974' Formula May 76 p26.) For sale in Autoweek Vol.26 no.19 May 76 p33. Possibly the Mike Morris car in 1977.
- Rondel M1  (Chris O'Brien): Henri Pescarolo's main car in F2 in 1973; used also by Schenken at Pau, Kinnekulle Ring and Rouen. Sold via Fred Opert to Chris O'Brien for Canadian Formula Atlantic in 1974 then probably back via Fred Opert and eventually sold to Randy Zimmer as a source of spares for his Can Am car. Still with Zimmer in 2010.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-04] (James King): Chevron build record says sold via Opert to Doug Shierson Racing. According to Chevron the car used by James King at Mallory Park before being shipped to the USA. (King and Mead owned their own cars in the Shierson team.) Badly damaged by King at Mosport and rebuilt around a new tub. Formula Mar 75 p29 reports, 'King is trying to sell the B27 he drove in 1974 under Shierson's management'. (King still has the plate for this car.) Sold to Lloyd Callaway (Chicago) and used in 1975 early 1976 SCCA and some pro races. Callaway advises that the car was sold to Fred Opert in early 1976 in p/x for a new Chevron B34. A very strong candidate for the car of Tom Christ (Racine, WI) in 1976/77.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-17] (Peter W. Broeker): Chevron build record says sold to Peter Broeker, June 1974. This car was destroyed in a trailer fire in late 1974 on the way to Trois Rivieres.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-03] (Chip Mead): Chevron build record says sold via Opert to Doug Shierson Racing. According to Chevron the car used by Chip Mead at Mallory Park before being shipped to the USA. Sold to Keith Feldott for SCCA races in Cen Div in 1975 and retained by him to at least 1977.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-06] (Bertil Roos): Chevron build record says an Opert team car, initially used in European F2 races by Bertil Roos. Also used in UK Atlantic races and then shipped to the US after the Hockenheim F2 race. Sold to Derek Cook, 1975. Interestingly, this car seems to have the bodywork run by Roos in European F2 in 1974. By 1976, when the B29 is sold to Rossiter, this B27 is the one car that Cook retains and he keeps it until at least 1977, using it in ShellSport G8 races.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
North American Formula Atlantic race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Formula and On Track, information drawn from Canadian newspapers and results sheets where available.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.
Individual sources for this event
Vancouver Sun, Winnipeg Free Press, CMB [RF], Championship points summary sheet [OMH], Chevron build records and March 74B build records