IMSA Formula Atlantic Championship Race
Road Atlanta, 19 Sep 1976
|1||Gilles Villeneuve||March 76B [3?] - Ford BDA Morris
#69 Ecurie Canada (see note 1)
|2||Tom Gloy||Tui BH2  - Ford BDA Nicholson
|3||Tom Klausler||Lola T460 [HU6] - Ford BDA Nicholson
|4||Héctor Rebaque||Lola T460 [HU1] - Ford BDA Traylor
|5||John Mortensen||March 76B  - Ford BDA
(see note 2)
|6||Marcel Talbot||Chevron B34 [34.76.32?] - Ford BDA Hart
|7||Tim Cooper||March 76B [73B?] - Ford BDA CRW
Wilbur Bunce Racing (see note 3)
|8||Howdy Holmes||March 76B - Ford BDA Morris
|9||Price Cobb||March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
Doug Shierson Racing
|10||Bobby Brown||March 76B  - Ford BDA Cicale
Carroll Smith-Audiovox (see note 4)
|11||Bobby Rahal||March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA McCoy
#9 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 5)
|12||Jon Norman||Lotus 69 [71/69.2.FB] - Ford BDA
(see note 6)
|13||Robert J. Nelkin||Chevron B34 - Ford BDA Hart
|14||John Barringer||Chevron B34 [34.76.10] - Ford BDA BSR
Bill Scott Racing
|15||Juan Cochesa||Chevron B34 [34-76-19] - Ford BDA
Fred Opert Racing
|16||Dan Marvin||Lola T360 [HU4] - Ford BDA
Norman Racing Group
|17||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||March 76B - Ford BDA Hart
Performance Marketing (see note 7)
|18||Kevin Cogan||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon
Cavanaugh Racing (see note 8)
|19||Tom Outcault||March 76B [5?] - Ford BDA
(see note 9)
|20||Tom Pumpelly||Chevron B34 [34.76.26] - Ford BDA BSR
Bill Scott Racing
|6||Accident ("destroyed")|| |
|21||Pete Halsmer||Race Research W2 - Ford BDA
|22||Joe Sposato||Chevron B29 [29-75-20] - Ford BDA Hart
|23||Bill Anspach||Chevron B34 - Ford BDA
All cars are 1.6-litre FB unless noted.
|1||Gilles Villeneuve||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [3?] - Ford BDA Morris||1.20.142|
|2||Bobby Rahal||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA McCoy||1.20.756|
|3||Tom Gloy||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Tui BH2  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.21.232|
|4||Tom Klausler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU6] - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.21.381|
|5||Howdy Holmes||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Morris||1.21.519|
|6||Bobby Brown||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Cicale|
|7||Price Cobb||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop||1.21.874|
|8||Kevin Cogan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.22.024|
|9||Héctor Rebaque||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU1] - Ford BDA Traylor||1.22.105|
|10||Tom Pumpelly||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.26] - Ford BDA BSR||1.22.408|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B [3?] (Gilles Villeneuve): Tom Pumpelly (McLean, VA) raced a yellow #34 March 76B, entered by National Tire Wholesale. The only yellow 76B shown in March records was chassis 76B-3. Pumpelly raced the car until it was damaged in a collision with Bancroft at Mosport Park in August, after which it was acquired by Ecurie Canada whose regular driver Gilles Villeneuve had damaged both his cars. It is therefore believed to be the car driven by Villeneuve to win at Trois-Rivières and Road Atlanta in September but this is by no means certain. Then bought by John Lane who rented it back to Pumpelly for the SCCA Run-Offs at Road Atlanta, where Pumpelly crashed it again. Sold to John Norman (Oakland, CA) who raced it as part of a two-car team with Dan Marvin in 1977 and 1978. Norman then sold the car but later bought it back and restored it to Villeneuve's livery.
- March 76B  (John Mortensen): John Mortensen (Weston, CT/Incline Valley, NJ) raced a March 76B in SCCA events in 1976 and the livery - Midnight blue with red stripe on each side - exactly matches that given in March records for 76B-07.
- March 76B [73B?] (Tim Cooper): Roy Folland (Montréal, Quebec) had a purple #6 March 73B for 1973 but crashed at Trois-Rivières in Sept and after being repaired, the 73B was sold to Ecurie Canada for guest driver Eppie Wietzes to race at the Watkins Glen Pro FB race five weeks later. Then sold to Tim Cooper (Kansas City, MO) who raced the "ex-Ecurie Canada" 73B at a Willow Springs Regional in Dec 1973. Raced extensively in SCCA racing early in 1974 and then in the Pro F/Atlantic series, prepared by Charlie Williams Racing. Probably then the "75B" that Cooper raced as part of Doug Shierson Racing in 1975; maybe the 75B/76B that Wilbur Bunce ran for him in 1976, and possibly the self-entered 77B he had in early 1977. Might then be the ex-Cooper March "75B" later entered by Ted Titmus in 1978 and 1979. The latter years of this history become less likely and we're very keen to talk to Tim Cooper.
- March 76B  (Bobby Brown): New to Bobby Brown (Hicksville, NY) to replace a Chevron B34 and raced in Pro events and in SCCA NEDiv FB in 1976, winning the 1976 Run-Offs. Brown won an early-season SCCA National at Charlotte in April 1977 before moving into Can-Am with a March 77S. The 76B was advertised in November 1977.
- March 76B [4?] (Bobby Rahal): Doug Shierson Racing ran an orange #9 March 76B in 1976 for Bobby Rahal (Glen Ellyn, IL). There were four orange March 76Bs according to March records but only one was built as part of the first batch of cars, 76B-4, strongly suggesting this was Rahal's car. The subsequent history of this car is not known until it was advertised in 1985 as "ex-Villeneuve".
- Lotus 69 [71/69.2.FB] (Jon Norman): William Monson (Kent, WA) bought a new Lotus 69 for 1971 but after only a few races suffered a major accident at Laguna Seca in June 1971 when he clipped the bridge and was in hospital with significant injuries. He retired from racing and sold the wrecked Lotus to Gary Gove (Tacoma, WA). Gove's racing partner Pete Lovely was then in the process of fitting a F1 DFV engine to his 1970 F2 Lotus 69 and Gove was able to use the F2 rear end to repair Monson's car. The result was a very quick car and in 1972 Gove raced it in ICSCC and NW Regional events plus at least one National and the Westwood round of the Canadian FB series. In 1973, Gove won the NorPac title in the Lotus and then sold it to Jon Norman (Oakland, CA) who won the 1975 NorPac FB title and was second in 1976. Norman also took the car to the Run-Ofrfs in 1975, finishing a remarkable fourth, and raced it in several Pro Formula Atlantic races. Norman raced it at least once in SCCA events in 1977 before replacing it with a much newer March 76B.
- March 76B (Hugh "Wink" Bancroft): Hugh "Wink" Bancroft (Costa Mesa, CA) had a Fred Opert Racing Chevron B34 for 1976 but wrecked the care in practice at Trois-Rivières in September and borrowed a Shierson March 76B for that race and for the two remaining IMSA races. The identity of the 76B is unknown as several of Shierson's usual drivers were absent from Trois-Rivières so their cars would have been available.
- Ralt RT1  (Kevin Cogan): Consigned by Ralt to Ralt American in summer 1976. Run by Dave McMillan in New Zealand Gold Star series, late 1976. Chassis number observed on Dave McMillan’s car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described there as ex Kevin Cogan, so one of the four RT1s [chassis 30; 33; 34; 36] shown in Ralt build records [reproduced Autosport 1977] sent to Brian Robertson for Formula Atlantic series in 1976. Since 30 is known to be the car of Bertil Roos, and 33 that of Craig Hill, we can assume that Cogan indeed used 36 [except at the last race of the year when he is known to use Hill’s RT1-33], and 34 was that of Richard Spenard – a car originally intended for McMillan’s use in North America, until his sponsorship fell through. Retained by McMillan until at least 1980, and used in both North America and New Zealand. McMillan says took his own car to Canada NZMA 29 Jul 77 p5. NZMA report of the race at Halifax says car used in NZ. Chassis number given for McMillan’s car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978 [NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4].
- March 76B [5?] (Tom Outcault): Tom Outcault (Middletown, OH or Cranford, NJ) raced a blue #31 March 76B in 1976, entered by Tom Outcault Racing. The colour suggest that this was 76B-6, the only blue car in March records for which an owner is not known. Outcault retained the car for SCCA racing in 1977.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
1970 US FB results were compiled from Autoweek reports by Jim Thurman; 1971 results were transcribed from Autoweek by Allen Brown and 1972 results were compiled by Chris Townsend from an SCCA results publication.
The US Formula B series did not continue in 1973 but a race was organised in Caracas in March 1973 that fits here probably better than anywhere else, as do the occasional SCCA F/Atlantic and FB races in 1974 and 1975.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.