Road America Grand Prix
Road America, 18 Jul 1970
|1||John Cannon||McLaren M10B [400-01] - Chevrolet V8
#2 Hogan/Starr Racing Ltd, St Louis, Mo.
|2||David Hobbs||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8
#1 Team Surtees Limited, Edenbridge, Kent
|3||George Follmer||Lotus 70  - Ford V8
#64 Falconer & Dunn Racing Engines, Culver City, CA
|4||Eppie Wietzes||McLaren M10B - Chevrolet V8
#94 Formula Racing, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|5||Ron Grable||Lola T190 [190/F1/3] - Chevrolet V8
#4 Williams Racing Ent., Cupertino, CA
|6||Bill Brack||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
#85 Bill Brack Racing Enterprises, Toronto, Ontario, C
|7||Kurt Reinold||McKee Mk 12 - Chevrolet V8
#26 Team Nappi Racing, Rockford, Ill
|8||Spence Stoddard||Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8
#9 Competition Development, Seattle, Wash
(see note 1)
|9||John Gunn||Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8
#39 Fred Opert, Paramus, NJ
|10||John Martin||Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8
#89 Royal American Competition Enterprises, Chicago,IL
|11||Rich Galloway||Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8
#27 Coleo Metals International Ltd, Denver, Colo.
(see note 2)
|12||Ludwig Heimrath||McLaren M10A - Chevrolet V8
#38 Ludwig Heimrath, Toronto, Canada
|13||Fred Baker||McLaren M10A - Chevrolet V8
#29 Fred Baker, Mounds, Minn
|14||Steve Durst||McLaren M10B [400-13] - Chevrolet V8
|15||Horst Kroll||Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8
#37 Horst Kroll, Scarboro, Ontario
|16||Dick DeJarld||McKee Mk 12 - Chevrolet V8
#58 Dejarld Racing, Joliet, Ill
|17||Gregg Young||McLaren M10B [400-14] - Chevrolet V8
#5 Irene W. Young, Wilton, Conn
|18||Crockey Peterson||Lola T190 [190/F1/12] - Chevrolet V8
#93 Crokey Peterson Racing Entr., Flat River, Mo.
|19||Jim Paul||LeGrand Mk 11 - Chevrolet V8
#19 Jim Paul Racing, Carson, CA
|20||John Bisignano||McLaren M10A - Chevrolet V8
#6 American Comp. Racing, Denver, Colo.
|21||Michael Brockman||Lola T190 [190/F1/18] - Chevrolet V8
#87 Ground Floor Racing, Santa Ana, Calif
|22||Dave Heinz||Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8
#59 Dave Heinz Racing, Tampa, FL
|23||Dow "Jack" Byers II||Lola T190 [190/F1/6] - Chevrolet V8
#7 Byers Racing Centre, San Diego, CA
(see note 3)
|24||James Dunkel||McKee Mk 1 - Chevrolet V8
#41 Dr James C. Dunkel, Rockford, Ill
|25||Gerald Geishart||Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8
(see note 4)
|26||Bill Seeley||Vulcan - Chevrolet V8
|27||Eric Haga||Lola T190 [190/F1/8] - Chevrolet V8
#8 Competition Development, Seattle, Wash
(see note 5)
|28||George Wintersteen||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
#12 Smothers-Wintersteen Racing, Beverly Hills, CA
|29||Lyle Forsgren||Forsgrini Mk 14B - Chevrolet V8
#46 Forsgren Engr., Ltd., Issaquah, Wash.
|30||Gus Hutchison||Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8
#51 Champlin Racing, Enid, Okla.
(see note 6)
|31||Bob Stanford||McKee Mk 7 - Chevrolet V8
#70 Bob Stanford, Mars, PA
|32||Frank Eggers||Lotus 38  - Chevrolet V8
#18 Frank Eggers, St Charles, Mo
(see note 7)
|8||retired - unknown|| |
|33||Rex Ramsey||Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8
||2||Fuel pump drive belt|| |
|34||Sherwood Johnston||Surtees TS5 - Ford V8
#15 J&B Racing, Phoenix, AZ
|1||Head gasket|| |
|35||Dick Smothers||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
#10 Smothers-Wintersteen Racing, Beverly Hills, CA
|DNP||Dennis Ott||Eisert 70 - Chevrolet V8
#16 Ott Racing Enterprises, Upland, CA
|Did not take part in official practice|
|DNP||Randy Scheffer||Lola T140 [SL140/17] - Chevrolet V8
#72 Randy C. Scheffer, Riverwoods, IL
|Did not take part in official practice|
|UNKE||Pete Sherman||Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8
#52 Pete Sherman, Ashton, Md
|On entry list|
|UNKE||Gilbert R. Roth|| Lotus
#75 Dr Gilbert R. Roth, Pittsburgh, PA
|On entry list|
|UNKE||Hamilton Vose||Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8
#88 Royal American Competition Enterprises, Chicago,IL
|On entry list|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||John Cannon||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-01] - Chevrolet V8||2.12.9|
|2||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8||2.14.6|
|3||Ron Grable||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/3] - Chevrolet V8||2.14.9|
|4||Eppie Wietzes||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B - Chevrolet V8||2.15.5|
|5||Gus Hutchison||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8||2.15.7|
|6||George Follmer||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Ford V8||2.15.9|
|7||Bill Brack||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||2.16.3|
|8||Spence Stoddard||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8||2.17.3|
|9||Kurt Reinold||(F5000) 5-litre McKee Mk 12 - Chevrolet V8||2.17.4|
|10||John Gunn||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8||2.17.5|
|11||George Wintersteen||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||2.17.6|
|12||John Martin||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8||2.21.7|
|13||Fred Baker||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A - Chevrolet V8||2.22.1|
|14||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8||2.23.0|
|15||Ludwig Heimrath||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A - Chevrolet V8||2.23.2|
|16||Dick DeJarld||(F5000) 5-litre McKee Mk 12 - Chevrolet V8||2.23.8|
|17||Eric Haga||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/8] - Chevrolet V8||2.25.4|
|18||Steve Durst||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-13] - Chevrolet V8||2.25.4|
|19||Dow "Jack" Byers II||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/6] - Chevrolet V8||2.26.8|
|20||Crockey Peterson||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/12] - Chevrolet V8||2.27.2|
|21||Rich Galloway||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8||2.27.4|
|22||Dave Heinz||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8||2.27.6|
|23||Bob Stanford||(F5000) 5-litre McKee Mk 7 - Chevrolet V8||2.28.4|
|24||Jim Paul||(F5000) 5-litre LeGrand Mk 11 - Chevrolet V8||2.29.4|
|25||John Bisignano||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A - Chevrolet V8||2.30.0|
|26||James Dunkel||(F5000) 5-litre McKee Mk 1 - Chevrolet V8||2.30.6|
|27||Frank Eggers||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 38  - Chevrolet V8||2.32.0|
|28||Dick Smothers||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||2.32.7|
|29||Michael Brockman||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/18] - Chevrolet V8||2.33.0|
|30||Lyle Forsgren||(F5000) 5-litre Forsgrini Mk 14B - Chevrolet V8||2.33.8|
|31||Gerald Geishart||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8||2.33.8|
|32||Bill Seeley||(F5000) 5-litre Vulcan - Chevrolet V8||2.42.3|
|33||Sherwood Johnston||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5 - Ford V8||2.47.4|
|34||Gregg Young||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-14] - Chevrolet V8||2.47.7|
|35||Dennis Ott *||(F5000) 5-litre Eisert 70 - Chevrolet V8||no time|
|36||Randy Scheffer *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T140 [SL140/17] - Chevrolet V8||no time|
|37||Rex Ramsey||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T190 (Spence Stoddard): Spence Stoddard US 1970 (12 races). Presumably the same car entered for Stoddard by Northwest America Racing at R1 Riverside 25 Apr 1971 and crashed in the race. Not seen again until won a SCCA National at Seattle 13 Aug 1972. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T190 (Rich Galloway): Richie Galloway US 1970 (6 races) then crashed in practice at R8 St Jovite 1 Aug and wrecked. Replaced by the ex-Hansen T190/F1/1. This car may have been repaired to become Bobby Brown's 1971 Tasman car.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/6] (Dow "Jack" Byers II): Test car. Epstein-Cuthbert for Mike Hailwood UK R1 1970 but crashed Heat 1 and replaced by 190/F1/15 for next three races. Original car apparantly to Dow 'Jack' Byers II US 1970 (11 races) and presumably the car he raced at Questor 1971 ("T190/6"). Advertised by Jack Byers 12 Jun 1971. Subsequent history unknown. Note that two cars in the US may have carried this number, Byers' and Don Dierking's ex-Epstein car (see 190/15).
- Lola T142 (Gerald Geishart): Former snowmobile racer Gerald 'Jerry' Geishart (Wisconsin Rapids, WI) bought a Lola T142 from "a Firestone engineer in Ohio" in April 1970. He raced the red #98 Lola T142 in SCCA Nationals, Midwest Council events and in some pro races in 1970. He scored 25 points in CenDiv Formula A, narrowly losing the title to McKee driver Kurt Reinold. He appeared again in 1971 but only scored four points in Nationals and was a non-starter at the Elkhart Lake Pro race in July. To Barry Michael (Coldwater, MI) in 1971, Bill Schmitt (Frankenmuth, MI) in late 1974 or 1975, then Ed Murray (Farmington, MI) 1976. To Dino Crescentini (Rochester Hills, Michigan) early 1980 and stored the car in a museum in San Marion for about ten years. Restored by RM Motorsports (Wixom, MI) in 1996 then sold to Mead Korwin (Shelby Township, MI) in 2001.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/8] (Eric Haga): New to Eric Haga (Seattle, WA) and raced in the US Pro series in 1970. To Don Baker (Long Beach, CA) for 1971 and used in local SCCA events. To Jim Gustafson (Costa Mesa, CA) for 1974 and again raced in West Coast SCCA events. To Richard Votava (Southern California) in 1975. The log book then identifies a Troy R. Milken (or Millen or Milleau) driving the car in a school on 21 Feb 1976. Then Votava in SCCA Regionals (mainly at RIR) in 1976 and 1977; then SCCA Nationals in 1978 and 1979. To Marshall Tarnow March 1980 - Alan Sevadjain (owned with Don Johnstone) and raced at Texas in 1981 - Larry C. Clain and raced at RIR and elsewhere 1982 - Chuck Haines 1984 - Chip Boatright (Illinois) 2006. Sold back to original driver Eric Haga (Renton, WA) for historic racing. Appeared in the 2011/12 and 2012/13 Tasman Revival series.
- Lola T190 (Gus Hutchison): New to Champlin Racing in July 1970 for Gus Hutchison to drive, replacing the F1 Brabham BT26 with which he had won two rounds of the US F5000 championship. Crashed in practice at Mosport, where Hutchison drove Crockey Peterson's T190 in the race. Hutchison was a non-starter again at Sebring in October, after which he and Doug Champlin parted company. The T190 was advertised by Champ Carr (San Juan Capistrano, CA), Champlin's new venture with Fred Carillo, in Autoweek 13 Feb 1971. Bafflingly advertised ("ex-Hutchison") by Michael Brockman (Orlando, FL), the owner of T190/F1/18, in September 1972. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lotus 38  (Frank Eggers): Built mid-1966 for Team Lotus with symmetrical suspension. Believed to have been Jim Clark's car at Fuji 10 Oct 1966 (DNS). As backup car for Graham Hill at the 1967 Indy 500 (#80 not used). This car, as recounted under 38/7 above, ended up with with a doctor in Indianapolis. He sold the back-up car, 38/8, to Frank Eggers (St Charles, MO) for Formula A (later Formula 5000) events in 1968 and 1969. Also entered by Royal American Competition Ent Ltd for John Martin (Bristol, WI) at three races in April-June 1970 then for Eggers at Elkhart Lake July 1970. Eggers recalled that he "traded this car to someone in Texas for a Trans-Am Firebird". According to Doug Nye, this car went to Jerry Grew, to Jim Haynes (of Lime Rock), to Sam Foster and then to J. Noel Chiappa (Yorktown, Virginia). Believed retained 2002.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.