Road Race of Champions (F/SCCA class)
Riverside, 27 Nov 1966
|1||Don Morin||(FB) 1.6-litre Brabham BT18
#101 [NE] (see note 1)
|2||Karl Knapp||(FB) 1.6-litre LeGrand
|3||Stew McMillen||(FB) 1.6-litre Brabham BT18 - Ford twin cam
#301 [CE] (see note 2)
|4||Nick Dioguardi||(FC) Brabham
|5||Phil Groggins||(FC) Brabham BT16 [F2-17-65]
#111 [NE] (see note 3)
|6||Stanley "Bud" White||(FB) 1.6-litre Lotus
|7||Nade Bourgeault||(FC) Bourgeault
|8||Harry McIntosh||(FA) 1.5-litre Brabham BT7 [F1-2-63] - Climax FWMV V8
|9||Bill Rutan||(FC) 0.9-litre Quantum - Saab
|10||Fred Hummel||(FC) LeGrand
|11||Ed Mackey||(FA) Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-23-59] - Alfa Romeo
#71 [SP] (see note 4)
|12||Bill Kirtley||(FC) BMC Mk 1
|13||Jim Lemehieu||(FC) BMC Junior
|14||John Timanus||(FA) Lotus 18
|15||Robin Jackson||(FB) 1.6-litre Lotus
|16||Clint Cavin||(FC) Cooper
|17||R. Noel McGlothlin||(FB) 1.6-litre Lola Mk3
|18||Bub Ehrlich||Grizzly Torque Mk 3 - Ford
|19||Ed Mottern||(FC) Saab Special
|20||Stefan Rzesnowiecky||(FC) Lotus
|R||Bruce Eglinton||(FB) 1.6-litre LeGrand
|R||Cecil Stockard||(FC) 1.1-litre Quantum - Saab
|R||Lou Sell||(FB) 1.6-litre LeGrand
|R||Mike Cronin||(FB) 1.6-litre Lotus 22 - Ford twin cam
|R||Chuck Trowbridge||(FB) 1.6-litre LeGrand
|R||Ed Marshall||(FB) 1.6-litre Alexis Mk 6 [HF 602] - Ford twin cam
|R||C. Deloss "De" Singleton||Lotus 24 - Oldsmobile F-85 V8
#72 [SP] (see note 5)
|R||Jack Eiteljorg||(FC) 1-litre Brabham BT9 [F3-8-64] - Ford Cosworth SCA
|DSQ||Fred Opert||(F?) Brabham
|DSQ||Bill Watkins||(F?) Lotus 22
|UNKP||Gus Hutchison||(FB) 1.6-litre Lotus
All cars are 3-litre FA unless noted.
|1||Lou Sell||(FB) 1.6-litre LeGrand||1m 34.3s|
|2||Don Morin||(FB) 1.6-litre Brabham BT18||1m 35.5s|
|3||Ed Marshall||(FB) 1.6-litre Alexis Mk 6 [HF 602] - Ford twin cam|
|4||Stew McMillen||(FB) 1.6-litre Brabham BT18 - Ford twin cam|
|-||C. Deloss "De" Singleton||(FA) 3-litre Lotus 24 - Oldsmobile F-85 V8||1m 40.5s (1st in FA)|
|-||Ed Mackey||(FA) Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-23-59] - Alfa Romeo||2nd in FA|
|-||Fred Opert||(F?) Brabham||3rd in FA|
|-||Bill Watkins||(F?) Lotus 22||4th in FA|
|-||Bub Ehrlich||(FA) 3-litre Grizzly Torque Mk 3 - Ford||5th in FA|
|-||Harry McIntosh||(FA) 1.5-litre Brabham BT7 [F1-2-63] - Climax FWMV V8||6th in FA|
|-||Bruce Eglinton||(FB) 1.6-litre LeGrand|
|-||Karl Knapp||(FB) 1.6-litre LeGrand|
|-||Gus Hutchison *||(FB) 1.6-litre Lotus|
|-||Mike Cronin||(FB) 1.6-litre Lotus 22 - Ford twin cam|
|-||Chuck Trowbridge||(FB) 1.6-litre LeGrand|
|-||Stanley "Bud" White||(FB) 1.6-litre Lotus|
|-||Robin Jackson||(FB) 1.6-litre Lotus|
|-||R. Noel McGlothlin||(FB) 1.6-litre Lola Mk3|
|-||Nick Dioguardi||(FC) Brabham||1m 42.2s (1st in FC)|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Brabham BT18 (Don Morin): Don Morin has an unknown Brabham at the November 1966 Formula B Run-Offs and then a "1966 F2" Brabham at Bridgehampton in May 1967. Two years later, Fred Opert advertises a Brabham BT18 described as "ex Don Morin national champion". However, if this is an ex-F2 BT18, it's hard to see which one. Possibly the ex-Ahrens car or one of the Winkelmann team cars.
- Brabham BT18 (Stew McMillen): Stew McMillen moved from a Lotus 27/32 to a Brabham in 1966. He recalls picking up the car in New York and his first outing was at Bridgehampton where he finished second. McMillen easily retained his CenDiv FB title but did not appear in any Pro races. After the 1966 Run-Offs, McMillen moved into FA and the Brabham was sold to Alan Gottlieb (McKeesport, PA) who used it in North East Div FB in 1967 and at the May 1967 Bridgehampton Pro race where it was described as a "1966" car. From this it can be deduced that it was a BT18. Gottlieb ended the NEDiv season with just nine points, presumably those picked up for his FB class win at VIR in April which means nothing is known of this car after May 1967.
- Brabham BT16 [F2-17-65] (Phil Groggins): The second Frank Lythgoe Racing, driven by Alan Rollinson in 1965 and presumably the car he drove in F2 and in libre through 1965.
- Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-23-59] (Ed Mackey): Ed Mackey, of South Pacific Division, appeared at the 1966 SCCA Run-Offs (the ARRC) in a Cooper-Alfa. The car has been identified from photographs by Doug Nye as a 1959 Cooper 'T51'.
- Lotus 24 (C. Deloss "De" Singleton): De Singleton (of Downey, CA) had a Lotus 24 in Formula A in 1966 and 1967. He advertised it in Autoweek in May 1969 as having a F85 engine (the 215ci Oldsmobile BOP "Rockette" engine) which implies it was the same Lotus 24 into which Rod Carveth dropped a 215ci Oldsmobile in 1964. The identity of the Lotus 24 still isn't resolved.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.