New Zealand Gold Star Race
Manfeild, 16 Apr 1978
|1||Andrew Miedecke||March 763 ["M763-14"] - Ford BDA Dewhurst
|25||Not issued by organisers
|2||David Oxton||Chevron B34 [34-76-OX] - Ford BDA Hart
|3||Steve Millen||Chevron B42 [42-78-01] - Ford BDA Hart
|4||Graeme Lawrence||March 76B  - Ford BDA
|5||Norm Lankshear||Chevron B34 [34-76-19] - Ford BDA Hart
#16 (see note 1)
|6||Eric Morgan||Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA
#15 (see note 2)
|7||Ross Stone||Cuda JR3 - Ford BDA Nicholson
|8||Robbie Francevic||Modus M3 [022(B)/054] - Ford BDA Nicholson
|20||Engine cut out|
|9||Richard Melville||March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#10 (see note 3)
|19||Gave up, conditions|
|DNS||Ken Smith||March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#11 (see note 4)
|Did not start
(Conditions too bad)
|DNA||Dave McMillan||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart
(see note 5)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Hugh Owen||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Nicholson
||Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||David Oxton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34-76-OX] - Ford BDA Hart||1.05.91|
|2||Andrew Miedecke||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 763 ["M763-14"] - Ford BDA Dewhurst||1.06.13|
|3||Steve Millen||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B42 [42-78-01] - Ford BDA Hart||1.06.13|
|4||Ken Smith *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.06.32|
|5||Richard Melville||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.06.45|
|6||Ross Stone||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cuda JR3 - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.06.66|
|7||Norm Lankshear||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34-76-19] - Ford BDA Hart||1.07.04|
|8||Graeme Lawrence||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA||1.07.06|
|9||Robbie Francevic||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Modus M3 [022(B)/054] - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.07.08|
|10||Eric Morgan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA||1.08.21|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B34 [34-76-19] (Norm Lankshear): Observed on Keijo Rosberg's spare car by Dave McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p6. Described by Fred Opert to McKinney as the car used by Juan Cochesa in North America, NZMA 28 Jan 77 p4. This suggests that the car is also the Opert team car run by Tom Bagley in the three races in the USA at the start of 1976 [Road Atlanta; Laguna Seca; Ontario MS]. A/S report of the Formula Atlantic race at Edmonton, 16 May 76, describes Cochesa's car there as ‘ex Bagley’. NZMA reports that the car is sold to Norm Lankshear immediately after the Peter Stuyvesant series. Chassis number noted by McKinney on Lankshear's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978. [NZMA 20 Jan 78 p3.] Retained by Lankshear through to the end of 1981. Then sold to Bryan Hartley and used 1982 – 83.
- Chevron B29 [29-75-30] (Eric Morgan): Chassis number observed by Dave McKinney on Dave Oxton's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described by Motoring News as "the ex Redman Tasman car" 10 Feb 77 p7. This indicates it is the car taken by Brian Redman to the 1975-6 Tasman series, with a 2.0 BMW engine, which was itself a works car from the European F2 series of 1975, raced by Hans Binder at Vallelunga. [Confirmed in Chevron’s build record, though MN reports describe this car as chassis number 31, which does not appear in the B29 build record.] The car stayed in New Zealand and was purchased by Oxton for the Peter Stuyvesant series. Oxton sold the car to Eric Morgan for the 1977-78 Union Travel Gold Star Series and subsequent races in New Zealand. Chassis number noted on Morgan’s car by McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978, and published NZMA 20 Jan 78 p3. Retained by Morgan to end 1981, then sold to Chris Read.
- March 76B  (Richard Melville): Chassis number observed on Richard Melville’s car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5 and described as ex Brambilla. Brambilla's 1976 Trois Rivières car according to Motoring News 10 Feb 77, so a Doug Shierson Racing team car in 1976. As Shierson ran up to four drivers, plus a spare car, at some American and Canadian races, we cannot yet identify users in North America. [However, it does seem we can eliminate Cobb, using 76B . Chassis number observed on Melville’s car by McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1978, and published NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4. Dave McKinney advises sold to Unipart for Tiff Needell to use in 1979 Macau GP. Observed on Sonny Rajah’s car by Dave McKinney at Malaysian GP, 1980 and published NZMA 16 Jun 80 p15, so presumably sold to Rajah.
- March 76B  (Ken Smith): Sold via Doug Shierson to Ken Smith (New Zealand) and debuts in early 1977 New Zealand races. Retained to 1981 then sold to Warren Binning. Retruend to Smith in 1982 and retained to at least 2003.
- Ralt RT1  (Dave McMillan): Consigned by Ralt to Ralt American in summer 1976. Run by Dave McMillan in New Zealand Gold Star series, late 1976. Chassis number observed on Dave McMillan's car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described there as ex Kevin Cogan, so one of the four RT1s [chassis 30; 33; 34; 36] shown in Ralt build records [reproduced Autosport 1977] sent to Brian Robertson for Formula Atlantic series in 1976. Since 30 is known to be the car of Bertil Roos, and 33 that of Craig Hill, we can assume that Cogan indeed used 36 [except at the last race of the year when he is known to use Hill's RT1-33], and 34 was that of Richard Spenard - a car originally intended for McMillan's use in North America, until his sponsorship fell through. Retained by McMillan until at least 1980, and used in both North America and New Zealand. McMillan says took his own car to Canada NZMA 29 Jul 77 p5. NZMA report of the race at Halifax says car used in NZ. Chassis number given for McMillan's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978 [NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4].
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors on the Atlas F1 and 10 Tenths forums.
If you can help with any additions, clarifications or corrections, please respond via the threads shown on the Atlantics page.