New Zealand Formula Pacific Race
Pukekohe, 28 Mar 1982
|1||David Oxton||Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA
|2||Ken Smith||March 782  - Ford BDA
#11 (see note 1)
|3||Grant Campbell||Chevron B39 [39-77-01] - Ford BDA
#19 (see note 2)
|4||Tom Donovan||March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA
#12 (see note 3)
|5||Bryan Hartley||Chevron B34 [34.76.19] - Ford BDA
#34 (see note 4)
|6||Steve Cameron||Cuda JR5 - Ford BDA
|7||Paul Radisich||Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDA
#05 (see note 5)
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||David Oxton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA||1.19.1|
|2||Ken Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 782  - Ford BDA||1.19.7|
|3||Grant Campbell||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 [39-77-01] - Ford BDA||1.19.8|
|4||Paul Radisich||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDA||1.20.9|
|5||Bryan Hartley||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.19] - Ford BDA||1.22.0|
|6||Tom Donovan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA||1.23.4|
|7||Steve Cameron||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cuda JR5 - Ford BDA||1.23.6|
Notes on the cars:
- March 782  (Ken Smith): Ricardo Zunino's works car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Converted to Formula Atlantic for Teo Fabi to race in New Zealand in January 1979 (where it was reported to be wearing plate "782-16", an observation that is now thought to have been incorrect). To Ken Smith (New Zealand) and raced in Formula Pacific in the 1979/80, 1980/81 and 1981/82 seasons. Then to Warren Heron, but not raced until Bay Park in March 1989. Raced twice in 1990, but then stored until two further races, in 1998 and 1999. Sold back to Ken Smith in 2009. To Robert Shaw (UK) in 2010, and restored back to Formula 2 specification. To Marc Devis (Belgium) late 2016.
- Chevron B39 [39-77-01] (Grant Campbell): Chevron build record says a works backed car taken to South African series at the start of 1977, perhaps the car used by Villeneuve. If so, rebuilt around a new tub in South Africa. The subsequent provenance comes from NZMA 2 Feb 79 p8: returned to works then taken by Opert to the US in 1977 and sold to John Sisk for SCCA. Not thought to have been an Opert team car in 1977. One candidate for the B39 used by Page Roos in 1978 [though as Roos was from San Francisco and Sisk was an east coast driver this is not too likely.] Bought by Grant Campbell [NZ] at the end of 1978 and subsequently raced in NZ series and Australia into 1981. Kim Mather’s Chevron B35P of 1977 is said to have been built out of Villeneuve’s South African car, but this is likely to refer to the original tub, rather than to the whole car. Both B39s used in South Africa in early 1977 retained their plates when they reached the Antipodes.
- March 77B ["763-U3"] (Tom Donovan): Brett Riley took delivery of a March 77B in December 1977 that is believed to have carried the chassis number 763-U3 when it arrived in New Zealand. Riley raced it in Formula Pacific in 1978, 1979 and 1980 before selling it to Tom Donovan who progressively modified it and ran it in hillclimbs as well as F/Pacific up to 1983. He then won the 1984 and 1985 NZ hillclimb championships running a 1800cc Cosworth engine in the car. It was sold to Stuart McChesney in 1985 and again used in hillclimbs. It then went to Kenny Smith around 1987 and then to John Mackinlay (Christchurch) around 1993 who restored it and raced it in historic racing 1994-1996. It passed to Garry Cliff (Magnum Motors, Christchurch) in Nov 1996 then Peter Finlay in Australia in Aug 1998 then Kevin Miller in May 1999. Retained May 2003.
- Chevron B34 [34.76.19] (Bryan Hartley): Observed on Keijo Rosberg's spare car by Dave McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p6. Described by Fred Opert to McKinney as the car used by Juan Cochesa in North America, NZMA 28 Jan 77 p4. This suggests that the car is also the Opert team car run by Tom Bagley in the three races in the USA at the start of 1976 [Road Atlanta; Laguna Seca; Ontario MS]. A/S report of the Formula Atlantic race at Edmonton, 16 May 76, describes Cochesa's car there as ‘ex Bagley’. NZMA reports that the car is sold to Norm Lankshear immediately after the Peter Stuyvesant series. Chassis number noted by McKinney on Lankshear's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978. [NZMA 20 Jan 78 p3.] Retained by Lankshear through to the end of 1981. Then sold to Bryan Hartley and used 1982 – 83.
- Ralt RT4/82  (Paul Radisich): Ralt sales record says sold to Theodore Racing, delivered 2 Oct 81. [Tub no: 81/123; gearbox FT1482; fuel cell JM36678 6/81] Chassis number given by NZMA for the car of Mike Rosen at Bay Park 3 Jan 82. Described by NZMA report as ex-Jarier, so presumed to be Jarier's car at Macau 1981. A note for Paul Radisich's car at the Bay Park Union Travel Championship race 11 Apr 82 [A/S 15 Apr 82 p48] says that this was the car used earlier in the year by Mike Rosen. Paul Radisich's car at Adelaide 4 Jul 82 is described as 'ex Mike Rosen' [AMSYB-82 p153] Chassis number given for Paul Radisich's car at 1982 AGP, and presumed to be the car used by him throughout the 1982 Australian Gold Star series. Chassis number given NZMN 21 Jan 83 p16 for the car of Paul Radisich at Bay Park, 2 Jan 83.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors on the Atlas F1 and 10 Tenths forums.
If you can help with any additions, clarifications or corrections, please respond via the threads shown on the Atlantics page.