HSRCA Tasman Trophy historic race meeting
Sydney Motorsport Park, 30 Nov 2014
|1||Tom Tweedie||Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet V8
#2 (see note 1)
|2||Clark Proctor||March 73A  - Chevrolet V8
#57 (see note 2)
|3||Paul Zazryn||Lola T332 [HU32] - Chevrolet V8
#24 (see note 3)
|4||Russell Greer||Lola T332 [HU28] - Chevrolet V8
#14 (see note 4)
|5||Steve Ross||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8
#5 (see note 5)
|6||Peter Brennan||Lola T330 [HU18] - Chevrolet V8
#208 (see note 6)
|7||Bill Hemming||Elfin MR8A-C  - Chevrolet V8
#11 (see note 7)
|R||Ian Clements||Lola T332 - Chevrolet V8
#30 (see note 8)
|R||David Banks||Talon MR-1 ["007"] - Chevrolet V8
|DNSF||Philip Lewis||Matich A50  - Repco Holden V8
#25 (see note 9)
|Did not start final|
|DNSF||David Arrowsmith||Lotus 70B  - Ford V8
#67 (see note 10)
|Did not start final|
|DNSF||Philip Jewell||McKee Mk 8 - Chevrolet V8
|Did not start final|
|DNSF||Gregory Thornton||(F5000) 3.4-litre March 75A  - Ford GAA V6
|Did not start final|
|DNSF||Jay Bondini||Lola T332 - Chevrolet V8
#10 (see note 11)
|Did not start final|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Clark Proctor||9||13m 39.9368s|
|2||Steve Ross||9||13m 43.0047s|
|3||Paul Zazryn||9||14m 05.8116s|
|4||David Banks||9||14m 11.9132s|
|5||Russell Greer||9||14m 12.4221s|
|6||David Arrowsmith||9||14m 25.9368s|
|7||Ian Clements||9||14m 27.7855s|
|8||Peter Brennan||9||14m 31.4574s|
|9||Gregory Thornton||9||14m 32.4639s|
|10||Bill Hemming||9||14m 51.4186s|
|11||Jay Bondini||8||13m 41.9595s|
|12||Philip Jewell||8||13m 52.3102s|
|13||Philip Lewis||8||14m 32.0080s|
|1||Tom Tweedie||9||13m 39.4510s|
|2||Clark Proctor||9||13m 51.6309s|
|3||Steve Ross||9||13m 57.5705s|
|4||Paul Zazryn||9||14m 07.9251s|
|5||David Banks||9||14m 14.8472s|
|6||Ian Clements||9||14m 31.0271s|
|7||Philip Lewis||9||14m 35.3930s|
|8||Bill Hemming||9||14m 50.9212s|
|9||David Arrowsmith||9||15m 12.4241s|
|10||Philip Jewell||8||13m 54.7310s|
|11||Peter Brennan||8||14m 11.3847s|
|1||Clark Proctor||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A  - Chevrolet V8||1m 28.7779s|
|2||Steve Ross||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8||1m 31.0434s|
|3||Paul Zazryn||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU32] - Chevrolet V8||1m 31.4454s|
|4||David Banks||(F5000) 5-litre Talon MR-1 ["007"] - Chevrolet V8||1m 33.1888s|
|5||Russell Greer||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU28] - Chevrolet V8||1m 33.5286s|
|6||Gregory Thornton||(F5000) 3.4-litre March 75A  - Ford GAA V6||1m 34.4055s|
|7||Ian Clements||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 - Chevrolet V8||1m 34.7548s|
|8||David Arrowsmith||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70B  - Ford V8||1m 36.0539s|
|9||Philip Lewis||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A50  - Repco Holden V8||1m 36.2740s|
|10||Jay Bondini||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 - Chevrolet V8||1m 39.3070s|
|11||Bill Hemming||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR8A-C  - Chevrolet V8||1m 39.3613s|
|12||Philip Jewell||(F5000) 5-litre McKee Mk 8 - Chevrolet V8||1m 43.6542s|
|13||Peter Brennan||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU18] - Chevrolet V8||2m 02.8900s|
|14||Tom Tweedie||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet V8||2m 12.2912s|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] (Tom Tweedie): New to VDS for Chris Craft in 1973 UK series, then for Peter Gethin in 1974 Tasman series. Loaned to Adlards Crowne Racing for Craft UK 1974; returned to VDS, converted to B24/B28 specification and used by Vern Schuppan to win at Brands Hatch October 1974. Sold to Tony Dean for the UK and US series in 1975, but confiscated by UK Customs & Excise on its return from the US. Bought by Don Gray (Sittingbourne, Kent) at auction, and raced in UK 1977. To Keith Holland for 1978 Australian Internationals 1978, and sold there to Barry Singleton 1978, who raced it in Australia in 1978/79. To Jim Lowe 1980/81, but crashed at Surfers Paradise in early 1981 and heavily damaged. Wreck sold to Russel Gomersall, then to Peter Phillips, then Laurie O'Neill, then Dr Bill Marshall sometime around 1985. Run in Australian historic racing 1986-1988. To George Parlby early 1990s. To Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW) late 2005, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2006 to 2010. Robert Tweedie (Sydney, NSW) 2012, and raced by his son Tom Tweedie, in historic racing from 2013 onwards. More information about Chevron B24 B24-73-07
- March 73A  (Clark Proctor): Built for 1973 season (white). John Gunn: raced in US 1973, US 1974 (last race September 1974) - Les Hudelson mid-1974: raced by John Cannon US for the two Californian races in October 1974. Car then "put away"; retained by Hudelson in storage for nearly 20 years - Greg Wold (Maple Grove, MN) about 1993: restored to 1973 specification over next six years; raced in the SVRA series 2002. To Nick Smith (San Diego, CA) Feb 2007. To Roger Williams (New Zealand) Jan 2010. To Clark Proctor (Auckland, New Zealand) later in 2010 and raced in the Tasman Revival series in 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2013/14 and 2014/15.
- Lola T332 [HU32] (Paul Zazryn): See full history: Lola T332 HU32.
- Lola T332 [HU28] (Russell Greer): Graeme Lawrence (NZ) for Tasman 1974, New Zealand Gold Star 1974; Tasman 1975; Tasman 1976; Gold Star Oct/Nov 1976; Australian Internationals 1977 - Terry Hook (Aus) Australian Internationals 1978, Australian Internationals 1979; heavily crashed at a club event at Lakeside 21 Jun 1981. Rebuilt by March 1982 by Chas Talbot on a new tub. Sold to Bob Minogue and Pete Brennan in the mid-1980s who sold the rear end to Peter Bick to complete his ex-Davison HU34. The ex-Hook car was then built up with other parts and sold to Manuel Jimenez who in turn passed it to Murray Richards (Murrumbeena, Australia). To David Sharp (New Zealand) 1993. To Murray Sinclair (Hong Kong, and Christchurch, New Zealand) 2001, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival from 2003 to 2007. To Russell Greer (Blenheim, New Zealand) 2007, who continued to race it in the Revival series. More information about Lola T332 HU28
- McRae GM1  (Steve Ross): Built for 1973 season. Quicksilver Racing (Rockville, MD) for Jim and Chuck Sarich: raced in US 1973 (debut Watkins Glen R5 17 Jun 1973), US 1974 (1 race: Laguna Seca); advertised Autoweek 26 Apr 1975 - Ted Wenz and Peter Marcovicci (of Marcovicci-Wenz Engineering) 1986: raced by Wenz in US vintage racing 1986-1998 - Stan Redmond (Christchurch, New Zealand) 2003. Retained 2004 and used in the F5000 Tasman Revival series in 2004 and 2006. To Alistair Hey (Christchurch) 2007, and used by Chris Hyde to win the 2007/08 F5000 Tasman Revival Series. To Steve Ross (Dunedin) 2009, who continued to run it in the F5000 Tasman Revival series (#5 orange).
- Lola T330 [HU18] (Peter Brennan): See full history: Lola T330 HU18.
- Elfin MR8A-C  (Bill Hemming): New to Vern Schuppan (Adelaide, Australia) and raced as part of Ansett Team Elfin in 1977 Australian Internationals. Converted to Can-Am form, and raced by Schuppan in the Can-Am series in late 1977, and again in 1978 and 1979. Next seen when advertised by Stuart Bradbury (Phoenix, AZ) in July 1984. Advertised by Chuck Haines in 1990. To John Wales and Ron Gouttman (NSW, Australia) in 1990, and raced by Gouttman in Australia in Can-Am form in 1992/93. To Laurie Donaher (NSW) 1998, then to Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW, Australia) in 2001. Restored to F5000 form, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival series in 2003/04. To Bill Hemming (Victoria, Australia) 2005, who raced it in the Tasman Revival series from late 2006 onwards.
- Lola T332 (Ian Clements): A yellow "ex-John Morton" Frissbee Can-Am car bought in 2007 from Chuck Haines (St Louis, MO) by Ian Clements (Christchurch, NZ) and rebuilt as a Lola T332 for the Tasman Revival series. Clements raced this red-and-white #30 Lola T332 in every season of the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2008/09 to 2017/18. Sold to Kevin Ingram in 2018.
- Matich A50  (Philip Lewis): Bought by Johnny Walker, and fitted with the engine and transmission from his Elfin MR5. Raced by Walker in the 1972 Australian Gold Star, 1973 Australian Internationals, then to America for four races in the US series. To Jon Davison for the 1974 Australian Gold Star and 1975 Australian Internationals 1975 Australian Gold Star, 1976 Australian Internationals, 1976 Australian Gold Star, and 1977 Australian Internationals. To Bronwyn Taylor 1977 and raced in 1978 and 1979 - Geoff Munyard 1980 - leased to Kevin Leighton 1982 - Graham Stoll - Peter Brennan (Melbourne, Australia) - Ziggy Schueller 1990 - Ken Smith (NZ) 1992 or 1993 - James Boult (NZ) 1996 - Russell Greer (NZ) 1996 - Richard Bendell (Australia) 2001 - Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW, Australia) 2004 - Philip Lewis 2013.
- Lotus 70B  (David Arrowsmith): Jefferson Racing Enterprises (from Lotus in kit form) for Bob West, one of a small number of African American drivers in road racing at that time: US 1972 (Boss Ford): R6 Road Atlanta 20 Aug 1972 (Q24) and R8 Riverside 24 Sep 1972 (Q19). Crashed on the second lap at Riverside, hitting Lunger's Lola and damaging the front left suspension and tub. Advertised by Roland Jefferson (Los Angeles, CA) Autoweek 28 Oct 1972: "damaged at Riverside". To Bruce Russell (Estacada, OR): racing history unknown except for a SCCA Regional at Riverside 26 May 1974. Advertised by Russell "70B - Boss 302" on 16 Oct 1976. Sold to Dave Edgar (Eugene, OR) late 1970s. To Dave Swigler (Panama City, FL) 1988: raced at the Walter Mitty event in April 1988 and then regularly to the end of the 1993 season after which it was unused for five seasons. Raced again by Swigler from 1999 up to Mitty 02 in July 2002. Retained by Swigler until sold, together with Swigler's Shadow and Surtees F1 cars, to Harin De Silva and sold on by him to David Arrowsmith (Christchurch, New Zealand) in July 2011. Raced in the 2011-12 Tasman Revival series in NZ and David is planning to compete again in the 2013-14 season.
- Lola T332 (Jay Bondini): This car started life with the Hogan team, was sold to Chuck Haines (St Louis, MO) in 1977, and then to "Bronco" Brad Murphey (Phoenix, AZ) to convert for Can-Am. Neither Murphey nor next owner Arlon Koops (Denver, CO) raced it, but Koops loaned it to Bill Tempero (Ft Collins, CO) for Can-Am 1984. It went to Kent Painter (Fort Collins, CO) in 1988, and was then stored for 21 years until bought by Jay Bondini (Ferntree Gully, Victoria, Australia), who restored it to Hogan Racing 1974 specification. It was raced by Peter Brennan in the 2011 Australian GP support event, and later by Bondini at Australian historic events. Sold to Gary Gunn (Werribee, Victoria, Australia) in 2016. More information about Lola T332 'the Hogan/Haines car'
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Individual sources for this event