Australian National F1 Championship Race
Winton, 24 Oct 1982
|1||Alfredo Costanzo||Tiga FA81 - Ford BDD
|2||Alan Jones||Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD Nicholson
|3||John Bowe||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD
#4 (see note 1)
|4||Chris Hocking||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Cheetah Mk8 [81-1] - Ford
|5||John Smith||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDD
#71 (see note 2)
|6||Phillip Revell||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD
(see note 3)
|7||Brian Sampson||Cheetah Mk8 [81-2] - Ford BDD
|DNS||Paul Radisich||Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD
(see note 4)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Lucio Cesario||Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD
#3 (see note 5)
|Did not start|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||Alfredo Costanzo||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Tiga FA81 - Ford BDD||0.53.5|
|2||Alan Jones||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD Nicholson||0.53.5|
|3||John Bowe||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD||0.53.6|
|4||John Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDD||0.53.9|
|5||Paul Radisich *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD||0.54.4|
|6||Phillip Revell||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD||0.55.9|
|7||Chris Hocking||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Cheetah Mk8 [81-1] - Ford||0.56.1|
|8||Brian Sampson||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cheetah Mk8 [81-2] - Ford BDD||0.57.2|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT4/81  (John Bowe): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson/John Bowe, without delivery date. [Tub no: 80/109; gearbox: FT1469; fuel cell: JM34734 11/80]. Chassis number given for Bowe's car in report of 1981 AGP, 6 Nov 81 [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4] and presumed to be Bowe's car earlier in the Australian season. Retained by Bowe for the 1982 season and taken by him to the race at Long Beach as well. Report of the Gold Star round at Oran Park says Bowe 'rushed getting car ready after Long Beach' [NZMA 7 May 82 p20]. Chassis number given for Bowe's car at 1982 AGP.
- Ralt RT1  (John Smith): Chassis no. NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4, given for Larry Perkins' car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978. Built new for that series by Perkins. Sold to John Smith and used through to 1982 as a spare car. AMSY-B says loaned to Brett Fisher at 1982 AGP.
- Ralt RT4/81  (Phillip Revell): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson/Pwee, no delivery date. [Tub no: 81/126; gearbox: FT1478; JM36735 6/81] "Pwee" is Gregg 'Peewee' Siddle, who ran the teams of first Nelson Piquet in F3, and then Roberto Moreno in all junior formulae. Chassis number noted in NZMA report on the car of Nelson Piquet at Australian GP 1981 [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4]. Chassis number given for Moreno's car in NZMA report of the Bay Park race, 3 Jan 82, and presumed to be the car run by Moreno throughout the NZ series. Chassis number given for Phillip Revell's car at the 1982 AGP and presumed to be the car used by Revell in the 1982 Australian Gold Star series. Revell's car also described by AMSYB-82 p166 as 'ex Piquet 1981 AGP'.
- Ralt RT4/82  (Paul Radisich): Ralt sales record says sold to Theodore Racing, delivered 2 Oct 81. [Tub no: 81/123; gearbox FT1482; fuel cell JM36678 6/81] Chassis number given by NZMA for the car of Mike Rosen at Bay Park 3 Jan 82. Described by NZMA report as ex-Jarier, so presumed to be Jarier's car at Macau 1981. A note for Paul Radisich's car at the Bay Park Union Travel Championship race 11 Apr 82 [A/S 15 Apr 82 p48] says that this was the car used earlier in the year by Mike Rosen. Paul Radisich's car at Adelaide 4 Jul 82 is described as 'ex Mike Rosen' [AMSYB-82 p153] Chassis number given for Paul Radisich's car at 1982 AGP, and presumed to be the car used by him throughout the 1982 Australian Gold Star series. Chassis number given NZMN 21 Jan 83 p16 for the car of Paul Radisich at Bay Park, 2 Jan 83.
- Ralt RT4/82  (Lucio Cesario): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson for Charlie O'Brien, delivered 29 Sep 81. O'Brien's car at Shah Alam GP 16-18 Oct 81 is described as 'new' by NZMA. Chassis number given for O'Brien's car in NZMA report of 1981 AGP [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4].
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The Australian race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors on the Atlas F1 and 10 Tenths forums.
If you can help with any additions, clarifications or corrections, please respond via the threads shown on the Atlantics page.
Individual sources for this event
Chris Townsend's sources include Australian Motor Sport Yearbook 1982 pp161-162.