Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Mallory Park, 2 Aug 1981
|1||Roberto Moreno||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#33 Barron Racing (see note 1)
|2||Raul Boesel||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader
#8 Café do Brasil (see note 2)
|3||Mike White||March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Autowindscreens with March Engineering
|4||Jonathan Palmer||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Mader
#12 West Surrey Engineering/Racing for Britain
(see note 3)
|5||Kurt Thiim||March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#15 Gerard Racing
|6||Dave Scott||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#16 Swift Caravans - Mint Engineering
(see note 4)
|7||David Leslie||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#7 Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 5)
|8||Thierry Tassin||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader
#2 Neil Trundle Racing with Belga
(see note 6)
|9||Victor Rosso||March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#38 Argentina Racing Team (see note 7)
|10||Cliff Hansen||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#6 Eurosports Management with Team Tiga
|11||Shuroku Sasaki||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Toda
|12||Richard Trott||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nelson
#4 SW Racing (see note 8)
|13||Kees Nierop||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#36 Team Tiga
|14||Enrique Benamo||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#10 Rushen Green Racing Ltd (see note 9)
|15||Claus Schinkel||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader
#30 Neil Trundle Racing (see note 10)
|16||Toshio Suzuki||March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#11 March Engineering (see note 11)
|DNS||Fred Krab||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#19 Marlboro DP Racing Team (see note 12)
|Did not start
|DNQ||Gerry Amato||Chevron B47 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#28 Gerry Amato Racing
|Did not qualify|
|DNA||Divina Galica||Ralt RT3/80 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#39 Roy Kennedy Racing
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Raul Boesel||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader||0.42.83|
|2||Roberto Moreno||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.42.84|
|3||Jonathan Palmer||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Mader||0.42.89|
|4||Mike White||(F3) 2-litre March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.43.00|
|5||Dave Scott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.43.02|
|6||David Leslie||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.43.06|
|7||Kurt Thiim||(F3) 2-litre March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.43.10|
|8||Victor Rosso||(F3) 2-litre March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.43.13|
|9||Cliff Hansen||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.43.14|
|10||Toshio Suzuki||(F3) 2-litre March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.43.18|
|11||Richard Trott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nelson||0.43.23|
|12||Thierry Tassin||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader||0.43.26|
|13||Fred Krab *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.43.27|
|14||Kees Nierop||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.43.64|
|15||Shuroku Sasaki||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Toda||0.43.68|
|16||Claus Schinkel||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader||0.43.74|
|17||Enrique Benamo||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.53.87|
|18||Gerry Amato *||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B47 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.55.68|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/81  (Roberto Moreno): Sold to Glenn Bosch for 1981, to be run by Wimhurst. Bosch then injured in RTA and Bleekemolen used the car. Team became Barron Racing for 1982, running the car for Cor Euser and Tim Davies. Sold to Mick Cook Racing for Martin Longmore (Autosport 5 Aug 1982 p31 'ex Barron') then to EJR late 1982 as hire car, being used by Mike Blanchet at Silverstone 3 Oct 1982, and used by Weaver in late season Euro rounds.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Raul Boesel): Sold new 9 Apr 1981 to Murray Taylor Racing. Used as spare car by Raul Boesel (see Autosport 16 Apr 1981 p8), became regular race car by mid season, replacing chassis 216. Retained 1981 and used by Tommy Byrne in early season in preference to new 1982 model, chassis 282. Autosport 11 Mar 1982 says that Byrne uses Taylor's older Ralt at the first round at Silverstone. Byrne went back to this car, rebuilt on a new tub, at Brands 11 Jul 1982.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Jonathan Palmer): Sold to Project Four for Stefan Johansson 15 Aug 1980. Used to win 1980 championship. Sold to West Surrey Racing for Jonathan Palmer, 1981. Won 1981 championship. Retained by WSR and used by Enrique Mansilla in early 1982, then leased to Osamu Nakako [Motoring News 15 Jul 1982 p15). For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68 '1981 champ winning car' to Gerry Amato Autosport 18 Nov 1982 p13 'ex Johansson, Palmer'.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Dave Scott): Sold to Dave Scott 16 Jun 1981 and used by him in the latter part of the 1981 season. Used in first part of 1982 (1981 spec car with 82 front suspension Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4). Sold to Mick Cook Racing ('ex-Scott 82 spec' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6) and run as rental car.
- Ralt RT3/81  (David Leslie): Sold to Eddie Jordan 22 Feb 1981 and used throughout 1981, mainly by David Sears. Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4 advises that Jordan's 81 spec Ralt will be driven in 1982 by James Weaver. (A new 82 spec car - chassis 293 - had been purchased for Fernando Macedo to drive.) Used to win Donington Euro round 4 Apr 1982. Retained as spare car early 1983 and driven by Tommy Grunnah at first British round.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Thierry Tassin): Sold to Neil Trundle 7 Apr 1981. Most probably therefore the car used by Thierry Tassin in 1981, as Trundle's other 1981 car (chassis 222) appears from the first round with Claus Schinkel driving. Sold to Galvani GRO team for Carlos Abella to use in 1982, run by Mick Cook. (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38 'ex-Tassin').
- March 813  (Victor Rosso): Sold to Victor Rosso, 26 Apr 1981 and used in British series. Sold to Major Bob Birrell for 1982 and driven by Ed Jones at Cadwell. Retained 1983 and used by Jan Thoelke in German series.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Richard Trott): Sold to Richard Trott 19 Jan 1981. Used throughout 1981 season, leased to Tassin at Cadwell Park. Retained 1982, rented to Martin Longmore for British GP support race.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Enrique Benamo): Sold to Enrique Benamo 15 Apr 1981 and run by Rushen Green Racing throughout the season. Taken by Benamo to Docking Spitzley for 1982 and subsequently rented to Roy Steele when Benamo ran out of money. Sold to Martin Wood in Sep 1982 (Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6). Retained by Wood 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1983 p37).
- Ralt RT3/81  (Claus Schinkel): Sold to Neil Trundle 20 Feb 1981 and used by Claus Schinkel in the British series. Retained early 1982 and driven by Luis Schafer (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 'ex Schinkel'), then sold to DB Racing for Mario Hytten when a 1982 spec car arrived.
- March 813  (Toshio Suzuki): A works car for Toshio Suzuki, completed 27 Feb 1981. Sold to Tarry Racing for Ian Shaw, described as 'ex Suzuki' AS 6 May 1982 then to Phil Dowsett ('ex Suzuki' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6).
- Ralt RT3/80  (Fred Krab): Sold to Eddie Jordan 7 Aug 1980 and used by him in latter part of 1980 season. Sold to Terry Gray for 1981 season (Autosport 15 Jan 1981) but only lightly used. For sale Autosport 30 Apr 1981 p61. Sold to Dave Price for Fred Krab to run in Euro series, debut Zandvoort round. For sale by DPR 'new tub in Aug' Autosport 14 Jan 1982 p62. Sold to Phil Dowsett to run in 1982 UK series (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38; Motorig News 4 Mar 1982 p3 'ex DPR Krab/Tragardh'); sold late season to Leo Andersson (Autosport 28 Oct 1982 p15).
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.