Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Silverstone, 7 Mar 1982
|1||Tommy Byrne||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G
#11 Murray Taylor Racing (see note 1)
|2||Martin Brundle||Ralt RT3/82  - VW
#77 Dave Price Racing (see note 2)
|3||Dave Scott||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G
#24 Mint Engineering (see note 3)
|4||James Weaver||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G
#17 Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 4)
|5||Enrique Benamo||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G
Docking Spitzley Racing (see note 5)
|6||Alfonso Toledano||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G
Ivens Lumar Racing (see note 6)
|7||Juan-Carlos Abella||Ralt RT3/81  - VW
Mick Cook Racing (see note 7)
|8||Richard Trott||Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G
#21 Anson Racing Ltd
|9||Tony Trevor||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G
(see note 8)
|10||Phil Dowsett||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G
Martin the Newsagent (see note 9)
|11||Ian Shaw||March 793  - Toyota 2T-G
|12||Tim Lee-Davey||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G
Brands Hatch Racing (see note 10)
|13||Fernando Macedo||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G
Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 11)
|14||Carlos Arguelles||Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G
|15||Tony Norton||March 803  - Toyota 2T-G
(see note 12)
|16||Dave Coyne||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G
Roy Kennedy Racing (see note 13)
|17||Mike O'Brien||Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G
|18||Luiz Schaffer||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G
#30 Trundle Engineering (see note 14)
|19||Peter Argetsinger||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G
HART (see note 15)
|DSQ||Enrique Mansilla||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G
West Surrey Racing (see note 16)
|Overtaking under yellow flag|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||James Weaver||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G||0.53.56|
|2||Dave Scott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G||0.53.57|
|3||Tommy Byrne||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G||0.53.79|
|4||Martin Brundle||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW||0.53.93|
|5||Luiz Schaffer||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G||0.54.02|
|6||Dave Coyne||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G||0.54.11|
|7||Enrique Mansilla||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G||0.54.17|
|8||Alfonso Toledano||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G||0.54.22|
|9||Peter Argetsinger||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G||0.54.43|
|10||Juan-Carlos Abella||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - VW||0.54.50|
|11||Richard Trott||(F3) 2-litre Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G||0.54.64|
|12||Enrique Benamo||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G||0.54.65|
|13||Tony Trevor||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G||0.54.80|
|14||Mike O'Brien||(F3) 2-litre Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G||0.55.18|
|15||Phil Dowsett||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G||0.55.25|
|16||Ian Shaw||(F3) 2-litre March 793  - Toyota 2T-G||0.55.25|
|17||Tim Lee-Davey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G||0.55.43|
|18||Fernando Macedo||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G||0.55.79|
|19||Tony Norton||(F3) 2-litre March 803  - Toyota 2T-G||0.56.66|
|20||Carlos Arguelles||(F3) 2-litre Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G||0.57.13|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/81  (Tommy Byrne): Sold new 9 Apr 1981 to Murray Taylor Racing. Used as spare car by Raul Boesel (see Autosport 16 Apr 1981 p8), became regular race car by mid season, replacing chassis 216. Retained 1981 and used by Tommy Byrne in early season in preference to new 1982 model, chassis 282. Autosport 11 Mar 1982 says that Byrne uses Taylor's older Ralt at the first round at Silverstone. Byrne went back to this car, rebuilt on a new tub, at Brands 11 Jul 1982.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Martin Brundle): One of two cars delivered new to Dave Price Racing in late Feb and early March 1982. However, they may be distinguished by driver as one  is delivered with a VW engine, and the other  has a Toyota. The latter is, therefore, Petit's car for the French series. 294 was an early season car for Martin Brundle, used until completely destroyed in a French series round at Dijon on May 16 1982. Price was confident it could be rebuilt around a new tub [MN 27.5.82 p.20] and it was probably eventually used by Petit after 297 was sold to Bernard Santal in July 1982.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Dave Scott): Sold to Dave Scott 16 Jun 1981 and used by him in the latter part of the 1981 season. Used in first part of 1982 (1981 spec car with 82 front suspension Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4). Sold to Mick Cook Racing ('ex-Scott 82 spec' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6) and run as rental car.
- Ralt RT3/81  (James Weaver): Sold to Eddie Jordan 22 Feb 1981 and used throughout 1981, mainly by David Sears. Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4 advises that Jordan's 81 spec Ralt will be driven in 1982 by James Weaver. (A new 82 spec car - chassis 293 - had been purchased for Fernando Macedo to drive.) Used to win Donington Euro round 4 Apr 1982. Retained as spare car early 1983 and driven by Tommy Grunnah at first British round.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Enrique Benamo): Sold to Enrique Benamo 15 Apr 1981 and run by Rushen Green Racing throughout the season. Taken by Benamo to Docking Spitzley for 1982 and subsequently rented to Roy Steele when Benamo ran out of money. Sold to Martin Wood in Sep 1982 (Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6). Retained by Wood 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1983 p37).
- Ralt RT3/81  (Alfonso Toledano): Sold to Hope Scott Garage and used by David Leslie in the 1981 season. Sold to Mike Reed (Ivens Lumar Racing) Autosport 3 Sep 1981 p3. Ivens Lumar ran Alfonso Toledano in the car in early 1981 (Autosport 21 Jan 1982 p6). Rebuilt on an 82 spec tub after accident at R3 (Motoring News 1 Apr 1982 p20; the car is described as 'new' by Autosport when it reappears at Thruxton on 12 Apr). Then run for Roberto Moreno from Mallory Park 25 Apr.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Juan-Carlos Abella): Sold to Neil Trundle 7 Apr 1981. Most probably therefore the car used by Thierry Tassin in 1981, as Trundle's other 1981 car (chassis 222) appears from the first round with Claus Schinkel driving. Sold to Galvani GRO team for Carlos Abella to use in 1982, run by Mick Cook. (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38 'ex-Tassin').
- Ralt RT3/80  (Tony Trevor): A works car finished July 1980 for Tommy Byrne to run at British GP support race. Sold to Tiga for Daniele Albertin to run. Used by James Weaver in 1981 and then sold to Mike O'Brien. To Tony Trevor for 1982 (Autosport 18 Feb 1982 p7; Motoring News 11 Mar 1982 p14 'ex O'Brien, Weaver') badly damaged at Thruxton in April and probably scrapped. Trevor only reappears at Silverstone 27 June in what Autosport (1 Jul 1982 p8) calls 'a replacement built up from a pile of bits, most bought from Dave Scott's team who had built up a new car during the close season'. These bits may, themselves, have come from the remains of RT3/192 which Scott may have destroyed in testing in 1980, plus surplus parts from RT3/250. We should presume that 183 ceases to exist after April 1980 unless observation of the plate can be found on Trevor's late 1982 car.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Phil Dowsett): Sold to Eddie Jordan 7 Aug 1980 and used by him in latter part of 1980 season. Sold to Terry Gray for 1981 season (Autosport 15 Jan 1981) but only lightly used. For sale Autosport 30 Apr 1981 p61. Sold to Dave Price for Fred Krab to run in Euro series, debut Zandvoort round. For sale by DPR 'new tub in Aug' Autosport 14 Jan 1982 p62. Sold to Phil Dowsett to run in 1982 UK series (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38; Motorig News 4 Mar 1982 p3 'ex DPR Krab/Tragardh'); sold late season to Leo Andersson (Autosport 28 Oct 1982 p15).
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tim Lee-Davey): Sold to Tim Lee-Davey 23 Feb 1982 and run by Christal Racing for early part of 1982 series. From Silverstone 31 May, run independently. When Lee-Davey went to Murray Taylor Racing the car went with him and was used by other MTR drivers, including Mike Rosen at Brands 11 Jul and Davy Jones at Brands 15 Aug. Retained by Lee-Davey for 1983.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Fernando Macedo): Sold to Eddie Jordan, 17 Feb 1982, initially for Fernando Macedo. Taken over by Phil Kempe at Silverstone 31 May. Raced by David Leslie at Cadwell when Kempe had glandular fever. Weaver finally got to drive the car at Oulton 7 Aug, then used by Paul Bishop a week later.
- March 803  (Tony Norton): Sold to Eddie Jordan 18 Jan 1980. Used in first part of 1980 season, then rented out, and for sale with chassis number (Autosport 5 Feb 1981 p47). To Roger Cowman (Belper, Derbyshire) for Ian Shaw then subsequently to Tony Norton. Retained 1982.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Dave Coyne): Sold to Wyatt Stanley 22 May 1980 and used in 1980 British series. To Roy Kennedy Racing ('ex Stanley' Autosport 2 Jul 1981 p4) for various rental drivers. Retained 1982.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Luiz Schaffer): Sold to Neil Trundle 20 Feb 1981 and used by Claus Schinkel in the British series. Retained early 1982 and driven by Luis Schafer (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 'ex Schinkel'), then sold to DB Racing for Mario Hytten when a 1982 spec car arrived.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Peter Argetsinger): Sold to Murray Taylor Racing 21 Jan 1981. Initially Raul Boesel's race car, then later used by Tim Lee-Davey (British GP support race) and Tommy Byrne. For sale Autosport 4 Feb 1982 p61 MTR offer 81 RT3 'as driven by Boesel, Byrne and Lee-Davey'. Sold to Peter Argetsinger (Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p5 says ex Boesel; Motoring News says ex-Lee Davey, so the older 1981 MTR car). Also rented to David Sears.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Enrique Mansilla): Sold to West Surrey Racing for Enrique Mansilla. Badly damaged in testing at Goodwood in late February, rebuilt in time for first race of 1982 season, but Mansilla then preferred the older WSR car until Silverstone 31 May. Used by Senna to win his first F3 race at Thruxton at the end of the season. For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.