Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Donington Park, 27 Mar 1983
|1||Ayrton Senna||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
#1 West Surrey Racing
|2||Martin Brundle||Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#2 Eddie Jordan Racing
|3||Davy Jones||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham
Murray Taylor Racing
|4||Mario Hytten||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Axxess Racing Team
|5||Richard Trott||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
|6||David Leslie||Magnum 833 - Toyota 2T-G Robinson
|7||Martin Wood||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G JQF
Pine City Racing (see note 1)
|8||Johnny Dumfries||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
Associated Motoracing (see note 2)
|9||Tim Atkinson||March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#24 Hallmark Chasing (see note 3)
|R||Brian Dunning||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
Brian Dunning Racing Promotions
(see note 4)
|R||Steve Bradley||Argo JM8X - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
#26 The Facey Group/Elsenham Sand Quarries
|R||Carlton Tingling||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
(see note 5)
|R||Calvin Fish||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham
|R||Tony Trevor||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
(see note 6)
|R||Tim Lee-Davey||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G JQF
David Luff Racing (see note 7)
|R||Allen Berg||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G JQF
|R||Tommy Grunnah||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing
|R||Eric Lang||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham
Murray Taylor Racing
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Ayrton Senna||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.18.06|
|2||Martin Brundle||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.19|
|3||Davy Jones||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham||1.18.66|
|4||Calvin Fish||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham||1.19.19|
|5||Mario Hytten||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.19.58|
|6||Tony Trevor||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.20.07|
|7||Tim Lee-Davey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G JQF||1.20.53|
|8||Allen Berg||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G JQF||1.20.54|
|9||Tommy Grunnah||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.20.96|
|10||Martin Wood||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G JQF||1.21.13|
|11||Richard Trott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.21.31|
|12||Johnny Dumfries||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.21.72|
|13||David Leslie||(F3) 2-litre Magnum 833 - Toyota 2T-G Robinson||1.22.81|
|14||Eric Lang||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham||1.23.07|
|15||Steve Bradley||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM8X - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.23.94|
|16||Brian Dunning||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.25.05|
|17||Tim Atkinson||(F3) 2-litre March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.27.04|
|18||Carlton Tingling||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.27.15|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/81  (Martin Wood): Sold to Enrique Benamo 15 Apr 1981 and run by Rushen Green Racing throughout the season. Taken by Benamo to Docking Spitzley for 1982 and subsequently rented to Roy Steele when Benamo ran out of money. Sold to Martin Wood in Sep 1982 (Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6). Retained by Wood 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1983 p37).
- Ralt RT3/82  (Johnny Dumfries): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 as new chassis for Petit to use in French series. Then run for Bengt Tragardh (Autosport 14 Oct 1982). Run by DPR for Johnny Dumfries in 1983 (Autosport 'ex Petit/Tragardh').
- March 793 [783-5] (Tim Atkinson): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Daniel Herregods, 19 January 1978, colour yellow with tub 78M25. To Rob Wilson in 1979 to replace his tiring Ralt RT1 and updated to 1979 specification. Autosport notes ‘ex Herregods’ and chassis number noted by F1R at Snetterton in August 1979. Sold to Gerry Amato for 1980 season, Autosport notes his car as ‘ex Wilson 1979’. Retained by Amato until 1982 then sold to Greg and Tim Atkinson.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Brian Dunning): Sold to Neil Trundle 20 Feb 1981 and used by Claus Schinkel in the British series. Retained early 1982 and driven by Luis Schafer (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 'ex Schinkel'), then sold to DB Racing for Mario Hytten when a 1982 spec car arrived.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Carlton Tingling): Sold to Mint Engineering for Dave Scott in early July 1982. To Carlton Tingling for 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1982 p37) and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tony Trevor): Sold to Dave Scott 16 Jun 1981 and used by him in the latter part of the 1981 season. Used in first part of 1982 (1981 spec car with 82 front suspension Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4). Sold to Mick Cook Racing ('ex-Scott 82 spec' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6) and run as rental car.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tim Lee-Davey): Sold to Tim Lee-Davey 23 Feb 1982 and run by Christal Racing for early part of 1982 series. From Silverstone 31 May, run independently. When Lee-Davey went to Murray Taylor Racing the car went with him and was used by other MTR drivers, including Mike Rosen at Brands 11 Jul and Davy Jones at Brands 15 Aug. Retained by Lee-Davey for 1983.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.