Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Thruxton, 2 May 1983
|1||Ayrton Senna||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 West Surrey Racing
|2||Martin Brundle||Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#2 Eddie Jordan Racing
|3||Davy Jones||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham
Murray Taylor Racing
|4||Mario Hytten||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#5 Axxess Racing Team
|5||David Leslie||Magnum 833 - Toyota 2T-G Robinson
|6||Allen Berg||Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing
|7||Tim Lee-Davey||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G JQF
David Luff Racing (see note 1)
|8||Tony Trevor||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
(see note 2)
|9||Eric Lang||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham
Murray Taylor Racing
|10||Mike Blanchet||March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Robinson
Tarry Racing with Johnson & Bailey Ltd
(see note 3)
|11||Jan-Olov Tingdahl||March 813 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|12||Ronnie Grant||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
(see note 4)
|R||Tim Atkinson||March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Hallmark Chasing (see note 5)
|R||Calvin Fish||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham
#4 Team BP
|R||Johnny Dumfries||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
Associated Motoracing (see note 6)
|R||Martin Wood||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G JQF
Pine City Racing (see note 7)
|DNS||Carlton Tingling||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
(see note 8)
|Did not start
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Ayrton Senna||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.13.55|
|2||Martin Brundle||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.13.89|
|3||Davy Jones||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham||1.14.18|
|4||Mario Hytten||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.14.19|
|5||David Leslie||(F3) 2-litre Magnum 833 - Toyota 2T-G Robinson||1.14.60|
|6||Calvin Fish||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham||1.14.76|
|7||Allen Berg||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.15.15|
|8||Johnny Dumfries||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.15.19|
|9||Tim Lee-Davey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G JQF||1.15.51|
|10||Eric Lang||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham||1.15.68|
|11||Tony Trevor||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.15.97|
|12||Carlton Tingling *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.16.22|
|13||Mike Blanchet||(F3) 2-litre March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Robinson||1.16.59|
|14||Martin Wood||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G JQF||1.17.04|
|15||Ronnie Grant||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.17.48|
|16||Jan-Olov Tingdahl||(F3) 2-litre March 813 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.14|
|19||Tim Atkinson||(F3) 2-litre March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.19.86|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tim Lee-Davey): Sold to Tim Lee-Davey 23 Feb 1982 and run by Christal Racing for early part of 1982 series. From Silverstone 31 May, run independently. When Lee-Davey went to Murray Taylor Racing the car went with him and was used by other MTR drivers, including Mike Rosen at Brands 11 Jul and Davy Jones at Brands 15 Aug. Retained by Lee-Davey for 1983.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tony Trevor): Sold to Dave Scott 16 Jun 1981 and used by him in the latter part of the 1981 season. Used in first part of 1982 (1981 spec car with 82 front suspension Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4). Sold to Mick Cook Racing ('ex-Scott 82 spec' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6) and run as rental car.
- March 813  (Mike Blanchet): A works car for Toshio Suzuki, completed 27 Feb 1981. Sold to Tarry Racing for Ian Shaw, described as 'ex Suzuki' AS 6 May 1982 then to Phil Dowsett ('ex Suzuki' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6).
- Ralt RT3/82  (Ronnie Grant): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 and debuted by Jean-Louis Schlesser at Monaco (Autosport 3 Jun 1982 p17). Chassis number given in Autosort 7 Oct 1982. Used by Brundle from Silverstone 31 May onwards after damage to 294 at Dijon. Sold to Ronnie Grant, 1983 and retained 1984.
- March 793 [783-5] (Tim Atkinson): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Daniel Herregods, 19 January 1978, colour yellow with tub 78M25. To Rob Wilson in 1979 to replace his tiring Ralt RT1 and updated to 1979 specification. Autosport notes ‘ex Herregods’ and chassis number noted by F1R at Snetterton in August 1979. Sold to Gerry Amato for 1980 season, Autosport notes his car as ‘ex Wilson 1979’. Retained by Amato until 1982 then sold to Greg and Tim Atkinson.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Johnny Dumfries): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 as new chassis for Petit to use in French series. Then run for Bengt Tragardh (Autosport 14 Oct 1982). Run by DPR for Johnny Dumfries in 1983 (Autosport 'ex Petit/Tragardh').
- Ralt RT3/81  (Martin Wood): Sold to Enrique Benamo 15 Apr 1981 and run by Rushen Green Racing throughout the season. Taken by Benamo to Docking Spitzley for 1982 and subsequently rented to Roy Steele when Benamo ran out of money. Sold to Martin Wood in Sep 1982 (Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6). Retained by Wood 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1983 p37).
- Ralt RT3/82  (Carlton Tingling): Sold to Mint Engineering for Dave Scott in early July 1982. To Carlton Tingling for 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1982 p37) and retained 1984.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.