Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Thruxton, 12 Nov 1983
|1||Davy Jones||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Nicholson
#1 Murray Taylor Racing
|2||Andrew Gilbert-Scott||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Nicholson
#2 Murray Taylor Racing
|3||Calvin Fish||Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing
|4||Mario Hytten||Sparton SE420  - VW Nicholson
#7 Axxess Racing Team
|5||Tim Lee-Davey||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G JQF
#17 David Luff Racing (see note 1)
|6||Julian Bailey||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham
|7||Hasse Thaung||Ralt RT3/83  - Alfa Romeo Novamotor
|8||David Hunt||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing
|9||Carlton Tingling||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
(see note 2)
|10||Gregg Atkinson||March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Hallmark Chasing (see note 3)
|11||Ronnie Grant||Ralt RT3/82  - VW
(see note 4)
|12||Kevin Martin||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
(see note 5)
|13||Mats Karlsson||TMS 833 [March 803] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|14||Peter Daniels||Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|DNS||Bernard Horwood||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G
(see note 6)
|Did not start
|DNS||Gerry Amato||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Gerry Amato Racing (see note 7)
|Did not start
|DNS||Victor Gonzalez||Ralt RT3/83 - Alfa Romeo Novamotor
Bertram Schäfer Racing
|Did not start
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Davy Jones||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Nicholson||1.13.53|
|2||Calvin Fish||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.13.70|
|3||Andrew Gilbert-Scott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Nicholson||1.13.97|
|4||Mario Hytten||(F3) 2-litre Sparton SE420  - VW Nicholson||1.14.37|
|5||Tim Lee-Davey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G JQF||1.14.49|
|6||Julian Bailey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham||1.14.59|
|7||David Hunt||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.14.75|
|8||Hasse Thaung||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Alfa Romeo Novamotor||1.15.14|
|9||Carlton Tingling||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.15.47|
|10||Victor Gonzalez *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83 - Alfa Romeo Novamotor||1.16.16|
|11||Ronnie Grant||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW||1.17.30|
|12||Gregg Atkinson||(F3) 2-litre March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.53|
|13||Kevin Martin||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.18.09|
|14||Mats Karlsson||(F3) 2-litre TMS 833 [March 803] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.73|
|15||Bernard Horwood *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G||1.19.19|
|16||Gerry Amato *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.19.65|
|17||Peter Daniels||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.24.65|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tim Lee-Davey): Sold to Tim Lee-Davey 23 Feb 1982 and run by Christal Racing for early part of 1982 series. From Silverstone 31 May, run independently. When Lee-Davey went to Murray Taylor Racing the car went with him and was used by other MTR drivers, including Mike Rosen at Brands 11 Jul and Davy Jones at Brands 15 Aug. Retained by Lee-Davey for 1983.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Carlton Tingling): Sold to Mint Engineering for Dave Scott in early July 1982. To Carlton Tingling for 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1982 p37) and retained 1984.
- March 793 [783-5] (Gregg Atkinson): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Daniel Herregods, 19 January 1978, colour yellow with tub 78M25. To Rob Wilson in 1979 to replace his tiring Ralt RT1 and updated to 1979 specification. Autosport notes ‘ex Herregods’ and chassis number noted by F1R at Snetterton in August 1979. Sold to Gerry Amato for 1980 season, Autosport notes his car as ‘ex Wilson 1979’. Retained by Amato until 1982 then sold to Greg and Tim Atkinson.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Ronnie Grant): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 and debuted by Jean-Louis Schlesser at Monaco (Autosport 3 Jun 1982 p17). Chassis number given in Autosort 7 Oct 1982. Used by Brundle from Silverstone 31 May onwards after damage to 294 at Dijon. Sold to Ronnie Grant, 1983 and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Kevin Martin): Sold to Dave Scott 16 Jun 1981 and used by him in the latter part of the 1981 season. Used in first part of 1982 (1981 spec car with 82 front suspension Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4). Sold to Mick Cook Racing ('ex-Scott 82 spec' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6) and run as rental car.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Bernard Horwood): Sold to Murray Taylor Racing 26 Feb 1982 but not debuted until Snetterton 2 May, driven by Tommy Byrne. Taken over by Lee-Davey at Brands 11 Jul. Rented to Dave Coyne for Oulton 26 Sep.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Gerry Amato): Sold to Project Four for Stefan Johansson 15 Aug 1980. Used to win 1980 championship. Sold to West Surrey Racing for Jonathan Palmer, 1981. Won 1981 championship. Retained by WSR and used by Enrique Mansilla in early 1982, then leased to Osamu Nakako [Motoring News 15 Jul 1982 p15). For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68 '1981 champ winning car' to Gerry Amato Autosport 18 Nov 1982 p13 'ex Johansson, Palmer'.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.