Players (Canadian) Formula Atlantic Series Race
Halifax, 8 Aug 1976
|1||Gilles Villeneuve||March 76B [10 or 15?] - Ford BDA Morris
#69 Ecurie Canada (see note 1)
|2||Bill Brack||Chevron B34 [34.76.14] - Ford BDA Hart
|3||Howdy Holmes||Chevron B34 [34.76.26] - Ford BDA BSR
Bill Scott Racing
|4||Richard Spenard||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart
#93 Planter's Peanuts
|5||Héctor Rebaque||Lola T460 [HU1] - Ford BDA Traylor
|6||Price Cobb||March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
#8 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 2)
|7||Bertil Roos||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart
#2 Brian Robertson
|63||Spun and stalled|
|8||Bruce Jensen||Chevron B29 [29-75-14] - Ford BDA Hart
|9||Craig Hill||Lola T460 [HU12] - Ford BDA Hart
|10||Juan Cochesa||Chevron B34 [34.76.25] - Ford BDA Hart
Fred Opert Racing
|11||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||Chevron B34 [34.76.16] - Ford BDA Hart
Fred Opert Racing (see note 3)
|12||Marcel Talbot||Chevron B34 [34.76.32?] - Ford BDA Hart
|13||Tom Klausler||Lola T460 [HU6] - Ford BDA Traylor
|14||Lloyd Callaway||Chevron B34 - Ford BDA Hart
#52 Callaway Racing
|15||Chip Mead||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Willis
#31 Cavanaugh Racing
|16||Lynn Bentson||Modus M3 [041-FA] - Ford BDA Cosworth
|17||Robert J. Nelkin||Chevron B34 - Ford BDA Hart
#67 Bob Nelkin Racing
|18||Bobby Brown||March 76B  - Ford BDA Hart
#79 Audiovox-Carroll Smith (see note 4)
|19||Tim Cooper||March 76B [75B?] - Ford BDA CRW
#17 Wilbur Bunce Racing (see note 5)
|20||Rick Bell||Chevron B34 [34.76.18] - Ford BDA Hart
#78 Bell Racing
|21||Kevin Cogan||Chevron B34 [34-76-20] - Ford BDA Swindon
#3 Cogan Racing
|22||Tom Gloy||Tui BH2  - Ford BDA Nicholson
|23||Bob Beyea||March 722 - Ford BDA Nicholson
#11 Krazy Glue-Rick Shea (see note 6)
|24||Bobby Rahal||March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA McCoy
#9 (see note 7)
|25||Seb Barone||March 76B - Ford BDA Cosworth
#28 Isola Racing (see note 8)
|26||Marty Loft||March 76B - Ford BDA Race Shop
#4 Doug Shierson Racing
|DNS||Tim Coconis||Lola T460 [HU17] - Ford BDA Cosworth
|Did not start|
|DNSC||Gary Magwood||Lola T360 [HU6] - Ford BDA
#27 (see note 9)
|Did not start (crashed)|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Gilles Villeneuve||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [10 or 15?] - Ford BDA Morris||1.01.800|
|2||Bill Brack||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.14] - Ford BDA Hart||1.02.026|
|3||Bobby Rahal||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA McCoy||1.03.225|
|4||Tom Klausler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU6] - Ford BDA Traylor||1.03.294|
|5||Bertil Roos||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart||1.03.710|
|6||Tom Gloy||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Tui BH2  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.03.727|
|7||Howdy Holmes||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.26] - Ford BDA BSR||1.03.750|
|8||Bobby Brown||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Hart||1.03.964|
|9||Héctor Rebaque||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU1] - Ford BDA Traylor||1.03.977|
|10||Chip Mead||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Willis||1.04.434|
|11||Richard Spenard||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart||1.04.439|
|12||Seb Barone||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Cosworth||1.04.563|
|13||Juan Cochesa||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.25] - Ford BDA Hart||1.04.621|
|14||Craig Hill||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU12] - Ford BDA Hart||1.04.693|
|15||Bruce Jensen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-14] - Ford BDA Hart||1.04.916|
|16||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.16] - Ford BDA Hart||1.05.223|
|17||Price Cobb||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop||1.05.238|
|18||Marty Loft||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Race Shop||1.05.336|
|19||Lloyd Callaway||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 - Ford BDA Hart||1.05.652|
|20||Marcel Talbot||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.32?] - Ford BDA Hart||1.05.739|
|21||Robert J. Nelkin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 - Ford BDA Hart||1.05.943|
|22||Kevin Cogan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34-76-20] - Ford BDA Swindon||1.06.040|
|23||Tim Coconis *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU17] - Ford BDA Cosworth||1.06.189|
|24||Tim Cooper||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [75B?] - Ford BDA CRW||1.06.204|
|25||Lynn Bentson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Modus M3 [041-FA] - Ford BDA Cosworth||1.06.226|
|26||Rick Bell||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.18] - Ford BDA Hart||1.06.791|
|27||Bob Beyea||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 722 - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.06.918|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B [10 or 15?] (Gilles Villeneuve): Ecurie Canada ran a pair of green #69 March 76Bs in 1976 for Gilles Villeneuve (Lasalle, Quebec) with support from Skiroulle. Skiroule's signature green colour suggests they were the two cars listed in March records as being "leaf green", 76B-10 and 76B-15. Villeneuve had several crashes during 1976 and probably raced both cars, but exactly how they were used is not known. Two 76Bs were sold to Jim Morgan who raced them in early 1977 SCCA races alongside Bobby Rahal (Glen Ellyn, IL) and then entered them for Rahal in the 1977 Pro series with sponsorship from Red Roof Inns. Rahal also had a 77B but this was crashed at the opening race. One 76B then went to Ron Levanduski (Elmira, NY) and the other to Bob Earl.
- March 76B  (Price Cobb): An orange March 76B invoiced to Shierson in March 1976.
- Chevron B34 [34.76.16] (Hugh "Wink" Bancroft): New to Hugh "Wink" Bancroft (Newport Beach, CA/Costa Mesa, CA) and run for him by Fred Opert Racing in North American Formula Atlantic in 1976. His car was entered by Performance Marketing, and this apparently disguises a move to Shierson Racing in time for the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières in early September. Bancroft wrecked the B34 in practice at Trois-Rivières, and replaced it with a March 76B.
- March 76B  (Bobby Brown): New to Bobby Brown (Hicksville, NY) to replace a Chevron B34 and raced in Pro events and in SCCA NEDiv FB in 1976, winning the 1976 Run-Offs. Brown won an early-season SCCA National at Charlotte in April 1977 before moving into Can-Am with a March 77S. The 76B was advertised in November 1977.
- March 76B [75B?] (Tim Cooper): Tim Cooper (Kansas City, MO) raced a yellow #8 March 75B for Doug Shierson Racing in 1975 with backing from Rutledge Oil. Photographs show that this car had all the features of a 75B, so is unlikely to have been his older 73B updated, although this remains a possibility. Cooper moved to Wilbur Bunce Racing for 1976, and the "75B/76B" that Bunce built up for him is likely to have been based on this 75B (but could have been based on Cooper's older 73B). Cooper raced this car in the Players Canadian and IMSA championship in 1976. He appeared at a few races in early 1977 in a March "77B", thought to be this same car further updated. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 722 (Bob Beyea): Rick Shea's Shea Racing ran a March "72-75" in the Players Canadian Formula Atlantic series in 1976. The car was black, and ran as #11. It was driven by Dave Walker at the start of the season, but later by Bob Beyea, Shea himself, and by Damien Magee at Trois-Rivières in September. The car was then sold to Frank Monise (Pasadena, CA), so is presumably the blue-and-white #25 March "75B" that he raced in southern Californian SCCA Nationals in 1977 and 1978. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 76B [4?] (Bobby Rahal): Doug Shierson Racing ran an orange #9 March 76B in 1976 for Bobby Rahal (Glen Ellyn, IL). There were four orange March 76Bs according to March records but only one was built as part of the first batch of cars, 76B-4, strongly suggesting this was Rahal's car. The subsequent history of this car is not known until it was advertised in 1985 as "ex-Villeneuve".
- March 76B (Seb Barone): Seb Barone (Portland, CT or Dilliner, PA) drove a white #28 March 76B in 1976, entered by Isola Racing but run by Doug Shierson Racing. As a white car, March records suggest this would have been 76B-9, 76B-11 or 76B-12. Barone crashed the car at Trois-Rivières in September and it was not seen again.
- Lola T360 [HU6] (Gary Magwood): New via North American agent Carl Haas and Canadian agent Brian Robertson to Jack Burnett for Gary Magwood (Toronto, Ontario) to race in the Canadian John Player Formula Atlantic series in 1974. Also raced by Magwood at the US GP Formula Atlantic support race at Watkins Glen in October 1974, but then not seen until Magwood returned to Formula Atlantic in July 1976. Comprehensively destroyed in Magwood's accident at Halifax in August 1976.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
North American Formula Atlantic race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Formula and On Track, information drawn from Canadian newspapers and results sheets where available.