Formula Atlantic Labatts Championship Series Race
Québec City, 11 Jun 1978
|1||Keke Rosberg||Chevron B45 [45-78-02] - Ford BDN Smith
#4 Excita/Julius Schmid of Canada [Fred Opert Racing]
|2||Price Cobb||March 78B - Ford BDN Morris
#22 Ecurie Canada
|3||Howdy Holmes||March 78B  - Ford BDN Race Shop
#8 Jiffy Mixes/Doug Shierson Racing
|4||Kevin Cogan||Ralt RT1 - Ford BDN Willis
#33 Parnelli Jones/Ralt American
|5||Chip Mead||Ralt RT1/78  - Ford BDN Willis
#31 Simon Racing/Pierre's Motor Racing
|6||Bill Brack||March 78B  - Ford BDN Nicholson
#7 STP/Bill Brack Enterprises
|7||Bertil Roos||March 77B [26 or 27] - Ford BDN Morris
|8||Robert J. Nelkin||March 78B  - Ford BDN Stimola
#67 Pam Beach Gem Lab/NRO Inc
|9||Bobby Brown||March 78B  - Ford BDN
#79 Automatic Radio/Bob Brown Racing Inc.
|10||John Mortensen||March 78B  - Ford BDN Race Shop
#9 Race Shop/Doug Shierson Racing
|11||Mike Rocke||March 77B - Ford BDN Nicholson
#15 Rocke Racing (see note 1)
|12||Rick Bell||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Cosworth
#78 Rick Bell
|13||Gilles Léger||Ralt RT1 - Ford BDN Cosworth
#72 Laval Electrical Motors Ltd/Gilles Léger Racing
|14||Chris Gleason||March 77B [27 or 26] - Ford BDN Morris
#75 Whalley BMW Sales/C.K. Gleason
|15||Bruce Jensen||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN
#41 Jensen Racing
|16||Eje Elgh||Chevron B45 [45-78-04] - Ford BDN Smith
#5 Shiek/Julius Schmid of Canada [Fred Opert Racing]
(see note 2)
|17||Jeff Wood||March 78B - Ford BDN Willis
#20 Wood Racing Ent./Great Plains Racing
(see note 3)
|18||Joe Sposato||March 77B  - Ford BDN Stimola
#28 CBSports/Sposato Motoracing Cie
|19||Jeff Smith||Chevron B34 [34.76.15] - Ford BDN Smith
#50 Star Racing
|20||Bobby Rahal||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Willis
#2 Red Roof Inns/Pierre's Motor Racing
|21||Jean-Pierre Alamy||March 77B  - Ford BDN
#13 Colin Hine Racing
|22||Danny Sullivan||March 78B - Ford BDN Stimola
#34 Bluebonnet Foods/Quaker State/Chris Mark Racing
|23||J B Kendrick||Ralt RT1 - Ford BDN
#42 Paragon Industries Taurus Racing
|24||Ken Briggs||March 78B - Ford BDN Morris
#30 Briggs Racing Ent.
|25||Dan Marvin||March 76B - Ford BDN Cosworth
#59 Marvin-Cleff Smith/Norman Racing
(see note 4)
|26||Cliff Hansen||March 78B  - Ford BDN Willis
#62 Charle William Glauding
|27||Tom Gloy||March 76B - Ford BDN Jennings
#38 Lane Sports (see note 5)
|28||Marcel Talbot||Chevron B45 [45-78-03] - Ford BDN
#11 Jethro Tull/Rick Shea Racing
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Bobby Rahal||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDN Willis||1.01.33|
|2||Price Cobb||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B - Ford BDN Morris||1.01.34|
|3||Kevin Cogan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1 - Ford BDN Willis||1.01.67|
|4||Keke Rosberg||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B45 [45-78-02] - Ford BDN Smith||1.01.83|
|5||Danny Sullivan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B - Ford BDN Stimola||1.02.12|
|6||Jeff Wood||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B - Ford BDN Willis||1.02.15|
|7||Howdy Holmes||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B  - Ford BDN Race Shop||1.02.31|
|8||Bill Brack||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 78B  - Ford BDN Nicholson||1.02.49|
|9||Dan Marvin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDN Cosworth||1.02.82|
|10||Tom Gloy||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDN Jennings||1.02.91|
|11||Eje Elgh||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B45 [45-78-04] - Ford BDN Smith||1.03.30|
Notes on the cars:
- March 77B (Mike Rocke): Mike Rocke (Livermore, CA) had a new March 77B for 1977 but its identity has not yet been confirmed. He ran the car through 1977 and 1978 until a serious accident at Trois-Rivières which left Rocke very badly injured and destroyed the 77B. As most other 77Bs have now been identified, it appears that Rocke's car may have been chassis 77B-19.
- Chevron B45 [45-78-04] (Eje Elgh): To Fred Opert Racing for North American Formula Atlantic as a second car. Used as a spare by Keke Rosberg and as his race car at Lime Rock. Also raced by Eje Elgh and by Arturo Merzario at Trois-Rivières. Raced by Rosberg at Macau in November 1978. Then sold to Mike Peers and entered in the revived British series for Jim Crawford. Fitted with a BDX engine for 1980 and run by Plygrange Racing for Crawford in the F2 class of the Aurora series. Stayed with Plygrange for 1981 when raced by Vin Malkie (Northwich, Cheshire) in libre racing. Reappeared in 1983 when raced by Duncan Gray in the British Formula Atlantic series. Later to Robin Boucher and Steve Raine for Sprints in 1987 and then to Stuart Ridge. To John Lloyd then to Simon Hadfield (Shepshed, Leicestershire) but damaged in an accident at Mallory Park. Restored with original Excita condoms bodywork and sold in 1998 to Jeff Wright, a Scotsman then living in Canada. Still with Wright (Wilmington, NC) in 2014 and raced regularly in vintage racing.
- March 78B (Jeff Wood): Jeff Wood (Studio City, CA) drove a March 78B for Great Plains Racing in Formula Atlantic in 1978 and raced the same car in New Zealand in December 1978 and January 1979. He moved to a 79B for 1979 and the 78B is believed to have been sold to Greg Sun who ran it (as a 78-79B) in SCCA events in 1979. It was then acquired by Bob Schader and raced on through 1980 and early 1981, including appearances at the Long Beach and Road America pro races in 1980 and at Long Beach again in 1981. Schader then moved into FSV and the 78B was sold to Dorsey Schroeder (Manchester, MO) and used extensively in SCCA in 1981 and 1982.
- March 76B (Dan Marvin): Dan Marvin (El Sobrante, CA) drove a #59 March 76B in 1977 as part of Jon Norman's Boxtrom-Berglen Norman Racing team. The car was built up using a tub that Norman had fabricated himself, using an unknown number of parts of unknown origin. It was, in effect, a new car. Marvin raced the car in bothPro Formula Atlantic and in SCCA Nationals in 1977 and 1978.
- March 76B (Tom Gloy): Rick Shea Racing Team ran a #11 March 76B in 1977 for Tom Gloy (Lafayette, CA) but the origins of the car are unclear. The current owner of 76B-9 has history indicating it is the ex-Gloy car but Shea's recollection is that this car was Mortensen's which can be identified with confidence as 76B-7. The ex-Shea car can be identified with west coast owners from 1979 to 1984.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
North American Formula Atlantic race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Formula and On Track, information drawn from Canadian newspapers and results sheets where available.