SCCA/USAC F5000 Championship Round
Mid-Ohio, 10 Aug 1975
|1||Brian Redman||Lola T332 [HU45] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 1)
|2||Al Unser||Lola T332 [HU35-2] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 2)
|3||David Hobbs||Lola T332 [HU30] - Chevrolet V8
[Hogan Racing] (see note 3)
|4||Jackie Oliver||Shadow DN6 [2A] - Chevrolet V8
|5||Vern Schuppan||Eagle 755  - Chevrolet V8
|6||Warwick Brown||Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8
|7||David E. 'Tuck' Thomas||Lola T332 [HU38 (B)] - Chevrolet V8
|8||John Gunn||Lola T332 [HU47] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 4)
|9||Evan Noyes||Lola T332 [HU51] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 5)
|10||John Morton||Lola T400 [HU12] - Chevrolet V8
|11||Horst Kroll||March 73A/741 [73A/3(B)] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 6)
|12||Bob Nagel||Lola T332 [HU33] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 7)
|13||Jon Woodner||Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8
|14||John Benton||Lola T330 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 8)
|15||Danny Ongais||Lola T400/T332 [HU10] - Chevrolet V8
|16||Dan Gardner||Lola T330 [HU11] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 9)
|17||John Cannon||March 73A  - Chevrolet V8
|18||Mario Andretti||Lola T332 [HU29] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 10)
|19||Eppie Wietzes||Lola T400M [HU9] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 11)
|20||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||Lola T332 [HU48] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 12)
|21||Arlon J. Koops||Lola T330 [HU20] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 13)
|22||BJ Swanson||Lola T332 [HU42] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 14)
|DNSF||Roger Bighouse||Chevron B24 [24-73-02] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 15)
|Did not start final|
|DNQH||Jerry Karl||Lola T332 [HU49] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 16)
|Did not qualify from heats
(11th in Heat 1)
|DNQH||Michael Brockman||Rassey 74 - Chevrolet V8
(see note 17)
|Did not qualify from heats
(13th in Heat 1)
|DNQH||Bert Kuehne||Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
||Did not qualify from heats
(13th in Heat 2)
|DNS||Gordon Johncock||Lola T332 [HU44] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 18)
|Did not start|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Mario Andretti||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU29] - Chevrolet V8||1:22.058|
|2||Brian Redman||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU45] - Chevrolet V8||1:23.347|
|3||Al Unser||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU35-2] - Chevrolet V8||1:23.871|
|4||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU30] - Chevrolet V8||1:24.418|
|5||Jackie Oliver||(F5000) 5-litre Shadow DN6 [2A] - Chevrolet V8||1:24.776|
|6||Eppie Wietzes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400M [HU9] - Chevrolet V8||1:24.990|
|7||BJ Swanson||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU42] - Chevrolet V8||1:25.201|
|8||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU48] - Chevrolet V8||1:25.308|
|9||Vern Schuppan||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle 755  - Chevrolet V8||1:26.097|
|10||Warwick Brown||(F5000) 5-litre Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8||1:26.132|
|11||Evan Noyes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU51] - Chevrolet V8||1:26.815|
|12||David E. 'Tuck' Thomas||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU38 (B)] - Chevrolet V8||1:27.062|
|13||Jon Woodner||(F5000) 5-litre Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8||1:27.075|
|14||John Gunn||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU47] - Chevrolet V8||1:28.028|
|15||John Morton||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU12] - Chevrolet V8||1:28.244|
|16||Danny Ongais||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400/T332 [HU10] - Chevrolet V8||1:28.645|
|17||John Cannon||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A  - Chevrolet V8||1:29.589|
|18||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A/741 [73A/3(B)] - Chevrolet V8||1:29.686|
|19||John Benton||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8||1:29.568|
|20||Bob Nagel||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU33] - Chevrolet V8||1:29.71|
|21||Gordon Johncock *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU44] - Chevrolet V8||1:30.424|
|22||Jerry Karl||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU49] - Chevrolet V8||1:31.372|
|23||Roger Bighouse||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-02] - Chevrolet V8||1:32.716|
|24||Dan Gardner||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU11] - Chevrolet V8||1:35.199|
|25||Arlon J. Koops||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU20] - Chevrolet V8||1:36.845|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T332 [HU45] (Brian Redman): See full history: Lola T332 HU45.
- Lola T332 [HU35-2] (Al Unser): See full history: Lola T332 HU35.
- Lola T332 [HU30] (David Hobbs): See full history: Lola T332 HU30.
- Lola T332 [HU47] (John Gunn): See full history: Lola T332 HU47.
- Lola T332 [HU51] (Evan Noyes): See full history: Lola T332 HU51.
- March 73A/741 [73A/3(B)] (Horst Kroll): See full history: March 73A/3.
- Lola T332 [HU33] (Bob Nagel): See full history: Lola T332 HU33.
- Lola T330 [HU26] (John Benton): See full history: Lola T330 HU26.
- Lola T330 [HU11] (Dan Gardner): See full history: Lola T330 HU11.
- Lola T332 [HU29] (Mario Andretti): See full history: Lola T332 HU29.
- Lola T400M [HU9] (Eppie Wietzes): New to Eppie Wietzes (Thornhill, Ontario) and raced in the SCCA/USAC F5000 Championship in 1975 and early 1976. Retained by Wietzes until 1986 and used as show car by Canadian Tyre in mid-1980's. Sold to Horst Kroll and converted to Can-Am Frissbee specification as "Frissbee KR4" for Can-Am 1986 and CAT in 1987. Retained by Kroll until sold to Glenn Richards (Auckland, New Zealand) in mid-2010. Raced by Reg Cook in the 2010/11 F5000 Tasman Revival series, and then by Richards in the series every season from 2013/14 to 2017/18. More information about Lola T400 HU9
- Lola T332 [HU48] (Elliot Forbes-Robinson): See full history: Lola T332 HU48.
- Lola T330 [HU20] (Arlon J. Koops): See full history: Lola T330 HU20.
- Lola T332 [HU42] (BJ Swanson): See full history: Lola T332 HU42.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-02] (Roger Bighouse): New for 1973 season. Doug Shierson for Peter Gethin: raced in UK 1973 (won Race of Champions) and US 1973. To Roger Bighouse (Eastlake, OH): raced in US 1974 (7 races); US 1975 (4 races + 1 DNS) - Pat McGonegle (Cincinnati, OH): raced in US 1976 (1 race) and Can-Am 1977 (4 races + 1 DNS); probably the car entered by McGonegle as 'Mannix MX-2' in Can-Am 1978; advertised April 1979 - Danny Johnson (Kewanee, IL) 1979: raced in Can-Am 1979 (1 race), Can-Am 1981 (5 races), Can-Am 1982 (6 races) - Brian R Taylor (now Clive, Iowa) for Mike Engstrand (Des Moines, Iowa): raced in Can-Am 1985 (3 races) - Chuck Haines (St Louis, MO) - Anthony Taylor (Blackburn, UK) 2001: due to be rebuilt and raced in FORCE Historic F5000 series (UK) 2001. Then unknown until owned by Greg Thornton in 2011 and raced in UK and New Zealand 2011/12. Badly damaged in a fire at Thornton's garage in June 2012 but completely reconstructed.
- Lola T332 [HU49] (Jerry Karl): See full history: Lola T332 HU49.
- Rassey 74 (Michael Brockman): First known appearance was at the Pro F5000 race at Road America in July 1975, where Mark Alderson drove. He was not slowest in practice, and improved each session to record a time 15% slower than pole position, but only marginally slower than some of the other Mid-West Division amateurs in a range of one-year-old and two-year-old Lolas. Alderson retired early in Heat 1. Mike Brockman took over the drive at Mid-Ohio a month later, but did not record a practice time and was the first retirement from Heat 1. A year later, Roger Bighouse drove the Rassey at Mid-Ohio and put in a much improved performance, qualifying 15th out of 21 in practice, but still 14% off pole, and finished both heats to be classified 15th overall. The car was not seen again but in 2003, Bruce Reimer got in touch to say he owned the car and was running in in vintage events in southern California.
- Lola T332 [HU44] (Gordon Johncock): See full history: Lola T332 HU44.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.