New Zealand Formula Pacific Race
Manfeild, 18 Jan 1981
|1||David Oxton||Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA
|2||Steve Millen||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA
#7 Schollum Brothers
|3||Charlie O'Brien||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA
#3 (see note 1)
|4||Dave McMillan||Ralt RT4/81  - Nissan LZ14
#1 Ralt American
|5||Eric Morgan||Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA
#6 (see note 2)
|6||Tom Donovan||March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA
#12 (see note 3)
|7||Rex Hart||Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA
(see note 4)
|8||Rob Wilson||March 80A  - Ford BDA
|9||Robin Irving||Modus M3 [047-F3] - Ford BDA Masport
(see note 5)
|R||Grant Campbell||Chevron B39 [39-77-01] - Ford BDA
#19 (see note 6)
|0||Collision with Wilson|
|DNS||Adrian Reynard||Cuda JR5 - Ford BDA
|Did not start
|DNA||Warwick Binning||March 76B  - Ford BDA
(see note 7)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Ken Smith||March 782  - Ford BDA
#11 (see note 8)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||David Oxton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA||1.06.0|
|2||Steve Millen||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA||1.06.12|
|3||Rob Wilson||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 80A  - Ford BDA||1.06.7|
|4||Grant Campbell||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 [39-77-01] - Ford BDA||1.07.05|
|5||Charlie O'Brien||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA||1.07.38|
|6||Tom Donovan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA||1.07.96|
|7||Eric Morgan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA||1.08.05|
|8||Dave McMillan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Nissan LZ14||1.08.14|
|9||Adrian Reynard *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cuda JR5 - Ford BDA||1.08.78|
|10||Rex Hart||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA||1.10.10|
|11||Robin Irving||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Modus M3 [047-F3] - Ford BDA Masport||1.13.07|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT1  (Charlie O'Brien): Ralt sales record says sold to Bernard Hunter, delivered 12 Jul 78, but not raced until the 1979 Formula Atlantic season in the UK. Sold to David Duffield for 1980 British Atlantic races. Chassis number given for Ron Barnacle’s car in NZMA report of 1981 AGP, and said to be ex Charlie O’Brien, so presumed to be his car earlier in the 1981 season.
- Chevron B29 [29-75-30] (Eric Morgan): Chassis number observed by Dave McKinney on Dave Oxton's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described by Motoring News as "the ex Redman Tasman car" 10 Feb 77 p7. This indicates it is the car taken by Brian Redman to the 1975-6 Tasman series, with a 2.0 BMW engine, which was itself a works car from the European F2 series of 1975, raced by Hans Binder at Vallelunga. [Confirmed in Chevron’s build record, though MN reports describe this car as chassis number 31, which does not appear in the B29 build record.] The car stayed in New Zealand and was purchased by Oxton for the Peter Stuyvesant series. Oxton sold the car to Eric Morgan for the 1977-78 Union Travel Gold Star Series and subsequent races in New Zealand. Chassis number noted on Morgan’s car by McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978, and published NZMA 20 Jan 78 p3. Retained by Morgan to end 1981, then sold to Chris Read.
- March 77B ["763-U3"] (Tom Donovan): Brett Riley took delivery of a March 77B in December 1977 that is believed to have carried the chassis number 763-U3 when it arrived in New Zealand. Riley raced it in Formula Pacific in 1978, 1979 and 1980 before selling it to Tom Donovan who progressively modified it and ran it in hillclimbs as well as F/Pacific up to 1983. He then won the 1984 and 1985 NZ hillclimb championships running a 1800cc Cosworth engine in the car. It was sold to Stuart McChesney in 1985 and again used in hillclimbs. It then went to Kenny Smith around 1987 and then to John Mackinlay (Christchurch) around 1993 who restored it and raced it in historic racing 1994-1996. It passed to Garry Cliff (Magnum Motors, Christchurch) in Nov 1996 then Peter Finlay in Australia in Aug 1998 then Kevin Miller in May 1999. Retained May 2003.
- Surtees TS15  (Rex Hart): Observed on Rex Hart’s car by Dave McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p6. Described there as "ex Lawrence". So the car sold from new to Graeme Lawrence for the 1973 Tasman series, where the chassis number was reported by Motoring News [MN 8 Feb 73]. Retained by Lawrence to late 1975 when the car was purchased by Hart. Retained by Hart to end 1981 with the chassis number confirmed by observations by McKinney. Then to Ken Smith 1982.
- Modus M3 [047-F3] (Robin Irving): Chassis number observed on Phil Sharp’s car by Dave McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described in the works record as a development F3 chassis, and built up from spares at David Price Racing, where Sharp was a mechanic. Therefore the car raced through the 1976 Indylantic season in Britain, then taken to his native New Zealand. NZMA reports that the car was sold to Steve Empson. In 1980 the car appears in the NZ series in the hands of Robin Irving.
- Chevron B39 [39-77-01] (Grant Campbell): Chevron build record says a works backed car taken to South African series at the start of 1977, perhaps the car used by Villeneuve. If so, rebuilt around a new tub in South Africa. The subsequent provenance comes from NZMA 2 Feb 79 p8: returned to works then taken by Opert to the US in 1977 and sold to John Sisk for SCCA. Not thought to have been an Opert team car in 1977. One candidate for the B39 used by Page Roos in 1978 [though as Roos was from San Francisco and Sisk was an east coast driver this is not too likely.] Bought by Grant Campbell [NZ] at the end of 1978 and subsequently raced in NZ series and Australia into 1981. Kim Mather’s Chevron B35P of 1977 is said to have been built out of Villeneuve’s South African car, but this is likely to refer to the original tub, rather than to the whole car. Both B39s used in South Africa in early 1977 retained their plates when they reached the Antipodes.
- March 76B  (Warwick Binning): Sold via Doug Shierson to Ken Smith (New Zealand) and debuts in early 1977 New Zealand races. Retained to 1981 then sold to Warren Binning. Retruend to Smith in 1982 and retained to at least 2003.
- March 782  (Ken Smith): Ricardo Zunino's works car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Converted to Formula Atlantic for Teo Fabi to race in New Zealand in January 1979 (where it was reported to be wearing plate "782-16", an observation that is now thought to have been incorrect). To Ken Smith (New Zealand) and raced in Formula Pacific in the 1979/80, 1980/81 and 1981/82 seasons. Then to Warren Heron, but not raced until Bay Park in March 1989. Raced twice in 1990, but then stored until two further races, in 1998 and 1999. Sold back to Ken Smith in 2009. To Robert Shaw (UK) in 2010, and restored back to Formula 2 specification. To Marc Devis (Belgium) late 2016.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors on the Atlas F1 and 10 Tenths forums.
If you can help with any additions, clarifications or corrections, please respond via the threads shown on the Atlantics page.