Indylantic Championship Round
Oulton Park, 16 Oct 1976
|1||Tony Rouff||Boxer PRA76  - Ford BDA Swindon
#21 Netherton & Worth/Boxer Cars
|2||Mike King||Lola T362 [HU18] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#7 Bruach Racing
|3||Alo Lawler||Chevron B29 [29-75-06] - Ford BDA Swindon
#10 L&B Excavations
|4||Derek Cook||Chevron B27 [27-74-06] - Ford BDA Cook
#24 (see note 1)
|5||Steve Carvill||Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA Swindon
|6||Phil Dowsett||Chevron B29 [29-75-19] - Ford BDA Swindon
#6 Sangria Designs
|7||Martin Birrane||Chevron B29 [29-75-17] - Ford BDA Swindon
#30 (see note 2)
|8||Nick May||Sana RD9 - Ford BDA Eden
#5 Harrisons of Birmingham/Graham Eden Racing
|9||Adrian Russell||Lola T450 [HU1] - Ford BDA Swindon
|R||Ted Wentz||Lola T460 [HU15] - Ford BDA Swindon
#9 Swan Lager Racing (see note 3)
|R||John Bicht||Swift SA1 (Lotus 69) [71/69.8.FB] - Ford BDA Swindon
|0||Collision avoiding Wentz|
|R||Cyd Williams||Sana RD11 - Ford BDA Swindon
#69 Withers of Winsford
|0||Collision avoiding Wentz|
|R||Rob Moffat||March 73B - Ford BDA
#32 (see note 4)
|DNA||Ken Bailey||Chevron B29 [29-75-04] - Ford BDA Nicholson
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Dave Saunders||March [75B-"8"?] - Ford BDA Saunders
#22 (see note 5)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||TBA||Lola T460 [HU20] - Ford BDA Swindon
#31 Team Trimmer
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Ted Wentz||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU15] - Ford BDA Swindon||4|
|2||Tony Rouff||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Boxer PRA76  - Ford BDA Swindon||5|
|3||Derek Cook||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-06] - Ford BDA Cook||8|
|4||Phil Dowsett||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-19] - Ford BDA Swindon||14|
|5||Alo Lawler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-06] - Ford BDA Swindon||15|
|6||Mike King||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T362 [HU18] - Ford BDA Nicholson||16|
|7||John Bicht||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Swift SA1 (Lotus 69) [71/69.8.FB] - Ford BDA Swindon||22|
|8||Martin Birrane||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-17] - Ford BDA Swindon||25 or more|
|9||Adrian Russell||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T450 [HU1] - Ford BDA Swindon||27 or more|
|10||Rob Moffat||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B - Ford BDA||28 or more|
|11||Cyd Williams||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Sana RD11 - Ford BDA Swindon||51|
|12||Steve Carvill||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA Swindon||75|
|13||Nick May||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Sana RD9 - Ford BDA Eden||75|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B27 [27-74-06] (Derek Cook): New to Fred Opert Racing and the car raced by Bertil Roos in the British Formula Atlantic race at Brands Hatch in mid-March. Then fitted with a 2-litre Brian Hart Ford BDA for Roos at two F2 races, Montjuich Park and Hockenheim. Apparantly returned to Formula Atlantic specification and run by the Opert team in the UK series, initially for Héctor Rebaque, and later for Johnny Kastner, William Henderson III and then local man Jim Crawford. Sold to Derek Cook (Rotherham, South Yorkshire) for early 1975 Formula Atlantic races before being replaced by a newer B29. Retained for 1976 when Cook ran it in Indylantic, Shellsport G8, and libre racing, with either a Formula Atlantic BDA or a self-built 2-litre BDA. Retained again for early 1977 and used in F2 and in Shellsport, now with a 2-litre Alan Smith BDG, before Cook acquired a F1 Williams. Subsequent history unknown.
- Chevron B29 [29-75-17] (Martin Birrane): New to Peter Williams (Brentwood) and raced in the British Formula Atlantic series in 1975, but crashed at Brands Hatch in April and not seen again that season. Entered by Williams' Coin News for Jim Crawford in early 1976 and then sold to Martin Birrane (Ballina, County Mayo, Republic of Ireland) who raced it in G8 and in Atlantic in 1976 and 1977. To Laurence Jacobsen (Glasgow, Scotland) for 1978, fitted with a Swindon BDX and entered by him for Bryce Wilson in libre that year. Converted back to Atlantic spec and raced by Bryce, Jacobsen and Graham Hamilton in 1979. In 1980, Jacobsen fitted the car with a plastic Sunbeam Stiletto body and Cosworth BDG engine, and raced it in GT racing in Scotland. Unknown in 1981 but with Eric Munnoch in 1982 who raced the 'Stiletto' with a 3.5-litre Rover V8. Subsequent history unknown, but in March 2010, HSCC News reported that Colin Thorpe had rebuilt the car, which was not thought to have raced since the 1980s, and it would be raced by his son Ollie Thorpe in 2010.
- Lola T460 [HU15] (Ted Wentz): The works development car of Ted Wentz, sponsored by Swan Lager in the British Indylantic series, sold after that season had been completed to Albert Poon. The chassis number is observed on Beng Saswanto's car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p6, though the car was probably owned and entered by Poon. Described in NZMA as 'ex Wentz', and also in Motoring News 10 Feb 77 p7. Saswanto continues to appear in the car in races in South East Asia through 1978. May have been rebuilt by the Ramirez family into the "Marlo" in 1979, in combination with parts of March 723-12.
- March 73B (Rob Moffat): London-based Australian Rob Moffatt raced a March 73B or 73B/74B in a few Indylantic races at the end of 1976, and then in the Shellsport Group 8 series in 1977. Nothing more known.
- March [75B-"8"?] (Dave Saunders): Carrying chassis plate 75B-8, this car was bought by Kiwi Dave Saunders from March in 1976, after it had been returned to the works. It is unclear why 75B-8 would have been in England but March records do contain a note saying that its Shierson Racing sister car 75B-2 was returned to England for repairs. Presumably Saunders, who had raced in the UK in 1976, took it back with him to New Zealand because it appears in the first two rounds of the 1977 NZ series, being badly damaged in practice for the second. A NZ vehicle registration document [required for all cars in NZ] dated 10 Nov 77 confirms the plate is chassis number 8. The Pukekohe damage was made good with a new tub, bought not from March but John Thompson's fabrication company, numbered M772PU6. The car is now in Australia, and these documents were forwarded from the owner via Bryan Miller, and had been confirmed with Dave Saunders.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The British race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors on the Atlas F1 and 10 Tenths forums.
If you can help with any additions, clarifications or corrections, please respond via the threads shown on the Atlantics page.