BP British Formula 3 Championship Race
Thruxton, 30 Oct 1977
|1||Derek Daly||Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#4 Derek McMahon Racing (see note 1)
|2||Geoff Lees||Chevron B38 [38.77.30] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#2 Chevron Racing Team
|3||Brett Riley||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#54 David Price Racing (see note 2)
|4||Aryon Cornelsen Filho||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#9 March Racing Ltd (see note 3)
|5||David Kennedy||Argo JM1 [001-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#51 Anglia Cars
|6||Patrick Gaillard||Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|7||Rad Dougall||Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#57 The Toleman Group (see note 4)
|8||Ian Grob||Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#24 Docking Racing (see note 5)
|9||Ian Flux||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#27 Ockley Team Racing
|10||Nigel Mansell||Lola T570 [HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#59 McKechnie Racing
|11||Thorkild Thyrring||Chevron B38 [38.77.18] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#22 Chevron Racing Team (see note 6)
|12||Mario Pati||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#20 Automovel Clube Paulista
|13||Paul Bernasconi||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|14||Giordano Regazzoni||March 753 [U22] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#44 Docking Racing (see note 7)
|15||Jorge Koechlin||Argo JM1 [003-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#50 Anglia Cars
|16||Philippe Colonna||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#25 Docking Racing (see note 8)
|17||Peré (Pedro) Noguès||Ralt RT1/77 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Equipe Nationale Espagnol
|R||Geoff Brabham||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#35 Brabham Racing Organisation
(see note 9)
|10||Split fuel union, ran out of fuel|| |
|R||James King||March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#7 March Racing Ltd (see note 10)
|5||Collision with Warwick|| |
|R||Eje Elgh||Chevron B38 [38.77.10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Plastic Padding Chevron Racing Team
(see note 11)
|0||Collision with Gaillard|| |
|UNK||Derek Warwick||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#3 Warwick Trailers
|UNK||Stephen South||March 773 [T1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#12 Team BP
|pitted damaged nose avoiding Warwick|| |
|UNK||Phil Silverstone||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Wyatt Stanley||March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#55 (see note 12)
|DNA||Huub Rothengatter||March 763  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Les Duncan||March 753  - Ford twin cam
#15 Nucan Racing
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Luis Canomanuel||Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#17 Equipe Nationale Espagnol
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Juan Villaceros||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#16 Equipe Nationale Espagnol
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Chris Farrell||Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||John Bright||Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#52 Modern Toys
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Richard Morgan||Anson F3 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#61 Anson Racing
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||James King||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.0|
|2||Derek Daly||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.2|
|3||Aryon Cornelsen Filho||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.3|
|4||Geoff Brabham||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.4|
|5||Patrick Gaillard||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [37.77.21] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.4|
|6||Geoff Lees||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.30] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.5|
|7||Eje Elgh||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.7|
|8||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.7|
|9||Stephen South||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [T1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.7|
|10||Nigel Mansell||(F3) 2-litre Lola T570 [HU1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.8|
|11||Ian Flux||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.8|
|12||Brett Riley||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.9|
|13||Mario Pati||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.0|
|14||David Kennedy||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM1 [001-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.1|
|15||Ian Grob||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.5|
|16||Rad Dougall||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.5|
|17||Thorkild Thyrring||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.18] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.5|
|18||Philippe Colonna||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.0|
|19||Giordano Regazzoni||(F3) 2-litre March 753 [U22] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.6|
|20||Paul Bernasconi||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.19.6|
|21||Peré (Pedro) Noguès||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.20.0|
|22||Jorge Koechlin||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM1 [003-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.20.9|
|23||Phil Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.23.8|
|24||Wyatt Stanley||(F3) 2-litre March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.25.2|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B38 [38.77.07] (Derek Daly): The 1977 Derek McMahon car entered for Derek Daly. Used throughout 1977, with a number of rebuilds, including one new tub at least. Motoring News 9 Mar 1978 p8 says that the car used by Steve Malins at Silverstone 5 March 1978 is ex Daly. Wrecked by Malins in testing and replaced with a new B43 . According to Autosport 2 Nov 1978 p23, rebuilt and sold to Rob Moores who ran it later in the season. Moores was still using this car in F4 in 1982.
- March 773  (Brett Riley): According to March records delivered in March 1977 to AFMP Euroracing, and subsequently given to Brett Riley in lieu of his contractual payments when the Euroracing set-up was dissolved. (This does not mean the car was Riley’s early season car in 1977; he used at least two before the team collapsed, neither of which were necessarily this car.) Run by David Price for Riley in the second half of 1977 and used to win the European round at Donington. Chassis number given in Autosport advert late in 1977 by Price. Sold to Roy Kennedy [Motoring News 2 Mar 1978 p15] although Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 says the car is ‘ex James King’. (King used a works car - 773-U2 - for most of 1977 but it is possible he had a race in this car early in the season, however his principal car went in 1978 to Ian Flux.) Run by Kennedy for Saed Ali Hodzic until Hodzic was injured in practice at the International Trophy support race; then became a rental car but did very few races. For sale by Kennedy in early 1979, Autosport 22 Feb 1979 p57, but retained and rented to Serge Saulnier for the 1979 race at Monaco.
- March 773  (Aryon Cornelsen Filho): Shown in March records as a works car finished February 1977, on tub AM773-28 for Ayron Cornelson Filho. Also used by David Kennedy in 1977. Sold to John Bright in March 1978 to cover for his damaged Wheatcroft. Damaged badly by Bright and rebuilt on new tub in August. Retained by Bright in 1979 until wrecked at Snetterton.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.05] (Rad Dougall): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Warwick Trailers car entered for Derek Warwick. Rented to Toleman in late 1977 for Rad Dougall after Derek Daly wrecked Toleman’s original car in testing. Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 describes the car of Ken Silverstone as ‘ex Warwick’. However, by this time Ken Silverstone also owned a Ralt and there are a number of occasions in 1978 when one car is given in the entry list and the other one appeared. As Silverstone was running near the back of the field which car he used is not always mentioned.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.19] (Ian Grob): Chevron build records show as a 1977 Docking Racing car entered for KVG Racing (Ian Grob). Retained in 1978. As Bullman and latterly Colonna use Colonna’s 1977 car in 1978, it is presumed that this was the car rented to Huub Rothengatter at the end of the season when Colonna also appears.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.18] (Thorkild Thyrring): Chevron build records show as a 1977 works car entered for Thorkild Thyrring, and used by Divina Galica at the end of the season. Race reports for Jim Crawford's car debuting at Silverstone 19 March 1978 describe it as 'ex Thyrring and Galica'. Wrecked by Crawford in a spectacular roll at Thruxton at the end of March and replaced by a Chevron B43 which used some parts from the wreck.
- March 753 [U22] (Giordano Regazzoni): According to the March build records constructed in 1975 from discarded parts of works cars 753-U1 and 763-U1 for Giordano ‘Dodo’ Regazzoni. Probably used by the works drivers Nilsson and Ribeiro at Cadwell Park and the British GP support race in July 1975, with this car built as temporary replacement for Nilsson’s 753-U1 rolled at the Monza Lotteria in late June. Retained by Regazzoni into 1978. Motoring News 16 Mar 1978 p7 comments that Regazzoni is still using last year’s car.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philippe Colonna): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Docking Racing car entered for Philippe Colonna. (The team’s other car was chassis 19 for Ian Grob which was also retained and run later in the season for Rothengatter.) Retained by Docking in 1978 and run for Philip Bullman: Autosport 16 Mar 1978 p3 says Bullman uses Colonna’s 1977 car. Colonna returned to the car for a one-off race, see Autosport 25 May 1978 p8, and then used the car more regularly at the end of the season.
- Ralt RT1/76  (Geoff Brabham): Ralt records show as sold to Geoff Brabham in 1976, probably being delivered in early June. Used by him until the end of 1978 then sold to Ken Thorogood's Hub of the Universe Racing for Osamu Hatagawa to use in British races.
- March 773 [U2] (James King): March works records show this as James King's works car for 1977 built on a lightweight tub AM773-41 with parts from 763-U2. This would be the "ex-King" car sold to Ian Flux early in 1978, and raced by him in the 1978 British F3 series.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.10] (Eje Elgh): Chevron build record says the 1977 works car of Eje Elgh. Sold to Derek Lawrence and fitted with a Chevrolet Vega engine for the 1978 F3 season. To Lynn Whitehead for hillclimbs? David Waterhouse [‘ex Lawrence’] by 1986 and chassis number noted by Jeremy Jackson in 1988.
- March 753  (Wyatt Stanley): Originally a car belonging to the B&O team in 1975, when used by Pierre Dieudonné. Chassis number for this car and its sister, driven by Hervé Regout, observed by AF at Oulton Park 4 October 1975. Sold to Ken Silverstone for the 1976 season [Autosport 2 Sep 1976 p33 says his car is ‘ex Dieudonné.) To Wyatt Stanley in mid 1977 and retained by him for the 1978 season.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.
Individual sources for this event
Autosport 3 Nov 1977 p31-32; programme provided by Adam Ferrington.