BP British Formula 3 Championship Race
Thruxton, 12 Mar 1978
|1||Derek Warwick||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Warwick Trailers
|2||Chico Serra||March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#13 Sadia Racing with Project Four
(see note 1)
|3||Rob Wilson||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#31 International Computers
|4||Nelson Piquet||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|5||Philip Bullman||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#32 Docking Racing (see note 2)
|6||John Bright||Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#51 Rugby Finance (Midlands)
|7||Giordano Regazzoni||March 753 [U22] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#45 (see note 3)
|8||Wyatt Stanley||March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#46 (see note 4)
|9||Barry Green||Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#30 Fred Opert Racing
|10||Phil Silverstone||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#16 Cloud Engineering
|11||Steve Malins||Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#22 Malins (Mamod) Ltd (see note 5)
|R||Stefan Johansson||Argo JM1 [003-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#53 Anglia Cars
|8||Master switch|| |
|R||Sead Ali Hodzic||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#43 Optima Racing with Roy Kennedy
(see note 6)
|R||Ken Silverstone||Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#18 (see note 7)
|R||Andrea de Cesaris||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#4 Marlboro Team Tiga
|DNS||Paul Bernasconi||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not start
(No wet tires damp race)
|DNA||Ian Flux||Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#14 Cloud Engineering
|Did not arrive|
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Chico Serra||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.21.5|
|2||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.21.6|
|3||Philip Bullman||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.22.3|
|4||Nelson Piquet||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.23.4|
|5||Stefan Johansson||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM1 [003-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.23.8|
|6||Andrea de Cesaris||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.24.1|
|7||John Bright||(F3) 2-litre Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.24.6|
|8||Giordano Regazzoni||(F3) 2-litre March 753 [U22] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.24.9|
|9||Rob Wilson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.25.4|
|10||Ken Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.25.4|
|11||Steve Malins||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.26.3|
|12||Sead Ali Hodzic||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.27.9|
|13||Barry Green||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.30.4|
|14||Wyatt Stanley||(F3) 2-litre March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.30.7|
|15||Paul Bernasconi *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.31.8|
|16||Phil Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||No time|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 783  (Chico Serra): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Rushen Green Racing 27 February 1978, colour red, with tub 78M51. Serra was Rushen Green’s only F3 driver in the early part of the year. Whilst there was a second car delivered to the team [chassis 14] this was not ready until mid April and comments in Autosport and Motoring News race reports allow us to determine when it came into use. 783-9 is, therefore, Serra’s early season car in British races. One of Serra’s cars is destroyed in a testing accident in early August. As 783-14 survives in 1979 it is possible that 783-9 was written off. Parts of the car may have been sold to Ray Rowan in 1979.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philip Bullman): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Docking Racing car entered for Philippe Colonna. (The team’s other car was chassis 19 for Ian Grob which was also retained and run later in the season for Rothengatter.) Retained by Docking in 1978 and run for Philip Bullman: Autosport 16 Mar 1978 p3 says Bullman uses Colonna’s 1977 car. Colonna returned to the car for a one-off race, see Autosport 25 May 1978 p8, and then used the car more regularly at the end of the season.
- March 753 [U22] (Giordano Regazzoni): According to the March build records constructed in 1975 from discarded parts of works cars 753-U1 and 763-U1 for Giordano ‘Dodo’ Regazzoni. Probably used by the works drivers Nilsson and Ribeiro at Cadwell Park and the British GP support race in July 1975, with this car built as temporary replacement for Nilsson’s 753-U1 rolled at the Monza Lotteria in late June. Retained by Regazzoni into 1978. Motoring News 16 Mar 1978 p7 comments that Regazzoni is still using last year’s car.
- March 753  (Wyatt Stanley): Originally a car belonging to the B&O team in 1975, when used by Pierre Dieudonné. Chassis number for this car and its sister, driven by Hervé Regout, observed by AF at Oulton Park 4 October 1975. Sold to Ken Silverstone for the 1976 season [Autosport 2 Sep 1976 p33 says his car is ‘ex Dieudonné.) To Wyatt Stanley in mid 1977 and retained by him for the 1978 season.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.07] (Steve Malins): The 1977 Derek McMahon car entered for Derek Daly. Used throughout 1977, with a number of rebuilds, including one new tub at least. Motoring News 9 Mar 1978 p8 says that the car used by Steve Malins at Silverstone 5 March 1978 is ex Daly. Wrecked by Malins in testing and replaced with a new B43 . According to Autosport 2 Nov 1978 p23, rebuilt and sold to Rob Moores who ran it later in the season. Moores was still using this car in F4 in 1982.
- March 773  (Sead Ali Hodzic): According to March records delivered in March 1977 to AFMP Euroracing, and subsequently given to Brett Riley in lieu of his contractual payments when the Euroracing set-up was dissolved. (This does not mean the car was Riley’s early season car in 1977; he used at least two before the team collapsed, neither of which were necessarily this car.) Run by David Price for Riley in the second half of 1977 and used to win the European round at Donington. Chassis number given in Autosport advert late in 1977 by Price. Sold to Roy Kennedy [Motoring News 2 Mar 1978 p15] although Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 says the car is ‘ex James King’. (King used a works car - 773-U2 - for most of 1977 but it is possible he had a race in this car early in the season, however his principal car went in 1978 to Ian Flux.) Run by Kennedy for Saed Ali Hodzic until Hodzic was injured in practice at the International Trophy support race; then became a rental car but did very few races. For sale by Kennedy in early 1979, Autosport 22 Feb 1979 p57, but retained and rented to Serge Saulnier for the 1979 race at Monaco.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.05] (Ken Silverstone): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Warwick Trailers car entered for Derek Warwick. Rented to Toleman in late 1977 for Rad Dougall after Derek Daly wrecked Toleman’s original car in testing. Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 describes the car of Ken Silverstone as ‘ex Warwick’. However, by this time Ken Silverstone also owned a Ralt and there are a number of occasions in 1978 when one car is given in the entry list and the other one appeared. As Silverstone was running near the back of the field which car he used is not always mentioned.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.
Individual sources for this event
Programme kindly provided by BARC Archive.