BP British Formula 3 Championship Race
Thruxton, 27 Mar 1978
|1||Derek Warwick||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Warwick Trailers
|2||Nelson Piquet||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|3||Chico Serra||March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#13 Sadia Racing with Project Four
(see note 1)
|4||Philip Bullman||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#32 Docking Racing (see note 2)
|5||Stefan Johansson||Argo JM1 [003-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#53 Anglia Cars Ltd
|6||Ian Flux||March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#14 Cloud Engineering (see note 3)
|7||Nigel Mansell||March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#36 March Racing Ltd (see note 4)
|8||Rob Wilson||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#31 International Computers Ltd-Royal Grafton China
|9||Gary Scott||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|10||Richard Morgan||March 773 [U1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#33 (see note 5)
|11||Paul Bernasconi||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|12||Steve Malins||Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#22 Malins (Mamod) Ltd (see note 6)
|13||Phil Silverstone||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#16 Cloud Engineering
|14||Pierre Dieudonné||Ehrlich RP4 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#56 Dr Joseph Ehrlich
|15||Barry Green||Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#26 Valvoline Fred Opert Racing
|R||Andrea de Cesaris||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#4 Marlboro Team Tiga
|R||John Bright||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#51 (see note 7)
|R||Jim Crawford||Chevron B38 [38.77.18] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#34 (see note 8)
|R||Tiff Needell||March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4
#40 Unipart Racing Team
|R||Geoff Brabham||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#11 (see note 9)
|0||Accident damage|| |
|R||Ken Silverstone||Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#18 (see note 10)
|DNA||Patrick Gaillard||Chevron B43 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Derek Lawrence||Chevron B38 [38.77.10] - Chevrolet Vega
#28 (see note 11)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||TBA||March 783 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#37 March Racing Ltd
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Ian Taylor||March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4
#39 Unipart Racing Team
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Chico Serra||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.13|
|2||Nigel Mansell||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.38|
|3||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.56|
|4||Geoff Brabham||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.16.99|
|5||Nelson Piquet||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.08|
|6||Stefan Johansson||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM1 [003-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.50|
|7||Philip Bullman||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.96|
|8||Jim Crawford||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.18] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.06|
|9||Ian Flux||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.07|
|10||Tiff Needell||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4||1.18.15|
|11||Rob Wilson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.22|
|12||Gary Scott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.64|
|13||Paul Bernasconi||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.67|
|14||Andrea de Cesaris||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.84|
|15||Pierre Dieudonné||(F3) 2-litre Ehrlich RP4 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.20.88|
|16||Barry Green||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.21.07|
|17||Ken Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.21.34|
|18||Steve Malins||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.07] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.21.34|
|19||John Bright||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.24.48|
|20||Phil Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.21.07|
|21||Richard Morgan||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [U1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.45.16|
Notes on the cars:
- March 783  (Chico Serra): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Rushen Green Racing 27 February 1978, colour red, with tub 78M51. Serra was Rushen Green’s only F3 driver in the early part of the year. Whilst there was a second car delivered to the team [chassis 14] this was not ready until mid April and comments in Autosport and Motoring News race reports allow us to determine when it came into use. 783-9 is, therefore, Serra’s early season car in British races. One of Serra’s cars is destroyed in a testing accident in early August. As 783-14 survives in 1979 it is possible that 783-9 was written off. Parts of the car may have been sold to Ray Rowan in 1979.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philip Bullman): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Docking Racing car entered for Philippe Colonna. (The team’s other car was chassis 19 for Ian Grob which was also retained and run later in the season for Rothengatter.) Retained by Docking in 1978 and run for Philip Bullman: Autosport 16 Mar 1978 p3 says Bullman uses Colonna’s 1977 car. Colonna returned to the car for a one-off race, see Autosport 25 May 1978 p8, and then used the car more regularly at the end of the season.
- March 773 [U2] (Ian Flux): March works records show this as James King's works car for 1977 built on a lightweight tub AM773-41 with parts from 763-U2. This would be the "ex-King" car sold to Ian Flux early in 1978, and raced by him in the 1978 British F3 series.
- March 783  (Nigel Mansell): Shown in March records for 1978 as completed as a team car, 17 March 1978, with tub 78M43. This was the only works car built in 1978 and is the car debuted by Nigel Mansell at Silverstone, 19 March 1978, when race reports describe it as brand new. Used by Mansell in the early part of the season then by Snobeck, van Rooyen, Bullman and Hatagawa.
- March 773 [U1] (Richard Morgan): March works records show this as Mario Ferraris' works car for 1977 built on tub AM773-14 and rebuilt after Ferraris' Monaco accident on tub AM773-65. Sold in March 1978 to Neasrader Film Production for Richard Morgan according to the works records. Motoring News 30 Mar 1978 p11 says that Morgan's car is ex King, but we know from reports and the works records that King's main car was 773-U2. However, that car was damaged in the 1977 season and it is possible that King used 773-U1 after its rebuild as Ferraris' damaged wrist took longer to recover than the car did. Sold to John Bright in 1979 to replace his wrecked 773-13 and its identity eventually perhaps blurred with that car in a rebuild after a heavy accident.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.07] (Steve Malins): The 1977 Derek McMahon car entered for Derek Daly. Used throughout 1977, with a number of rebuilds, including one new tub at least. Motoring News 9 Mar 1978 p8 says that the car used by Steve Malins at Silverstone 5 March 1978 is ex Daly. Wrecked by Malins in testing and replaced with a new B43 . According to Autosport 2 Nov 1978 p23, rebuilt and sold to Rob Moores who ran it later in the season. Moores was still using this car in F4 in 1982.
- March 773  (John Bright): Shown in March records as a works car finished February 1977, on tub AM773-28 for Ayron Cornelson Filho. Also used by David Kennedy in 1977. Sold to John Bright in March 1978 to cover for his damaged Wheatcroft. Damaged badly by Bright and rebuilt on new tub in August. Retained by Bright in 1979 until wrecked at Snetterton.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.18] (Jim Crawford): Chevron build records show as a 1977 works car entered for Thorkild Thyrring, and used by Divina Galica at the end of the season. Race reports for Jim Crawford's car debuting at Silverstone 19 March 1978 describe it as 'ex Thyrring and Galica'. Wrecked by Crawford in a spectacular roll at Thruxton at the end of March and replaced by a Chevron B43 which used some parts from the wreck.
- Ralt RT1/76  (Geoff Brabham): Ralt records show as sold to Geoff Brabham in 1976, probably being delivered in early June. Used by him until the end of 1978 then sold to Ken Thorogood's Hub of the Universe Racing for Osamu Hatagawa to use in British races.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.05] (Ken Silverstone): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Warwick Trailers car entered for Derek Warwick. Rented to Toleman in late 1977 for Rad Dougall after Derek Daly wrecked Toleman’s original car in testing. Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 describes the car of Ken Silverstone as ‘ex Warwick’. However, by this time Ken Silverstone also owned a Ralt and there are a number of occasions in 1978 when one car is given in the entry list and the other one appeared. As Silverstone was running near the back of the field which car he used is not always mentioned.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.10] (Derek Lawrence): Chevron build record says the 1977 works car of Eje Elgh. Sold to Derek Lawrence and fitted with a Chevrolet Vega engine for the 1978 F3 season. To Lynn Whitehead for hillclimbs? David Waterhouse [‘ex Lawrence’] by 1986 and chassis number noted by Jeremy Jackson in 1988.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.
Individual sources for this event
Autohebdo, Autosport, Motoring News, Programme AF