BP British Formula 3 Championship Race
Mallory Park, 14 May 1978
|1||Nelson Piquet||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|2||Chico Serra||March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#13 Sadia Racing with Project 4
(see note 1)
|3||Andrea de Cesaris||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#4 Marlboro Team Tiga
|4||Stefan Johansson||Argo JM1 [018-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#53 Anglia Cars Limited
|5||Jim Crawford||Chevron B43 [43.78.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#5 (see note 2)
|6||Philip Bullman||March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#32 Docking Racing (see note 3)
|7||Thorkild Thyrring||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|8||Peré (Pedro) Noguès||March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#50 Rushen Green Racing (see note 4)
|9||John Bright||Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#51 Rugby Finance (Midlands) Limited
|10||Brett Riley||Ehrlich RP4 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#56 Dr Joseph Ehrlich
|R||Derek Warwick||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Warwick Trailers
|2||Gear linkage|| |
|UNK||Ken Silverstone||Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#18 On the Spot Tyre & Exhaust Centre
(see note 5)
|UNK||Wyatt Stanley||March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#46 (see note 6)
|UNK||Barry Green||Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#30 Fred Opert
|UNK||John Lewis||Chevron B38 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|DNSP||Rob Wilson||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#31 International Computers Limited - Royal Grafton China
|Did not start (retired on parade lap)|
|DNS||Ian Flux||March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#14 Cloud Engineering (see note 7)
|Did not start
|DNS||David Brotherston||Chevron B34 [34.76.29] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#48 (see note 8)
|Did not start|
|DNA||TBA||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#43 Optima Racing with Roy Kennedy
(see note 9)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Tiff Needell||March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4
#40 Unipart Racing Team
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Ian Taylor||March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4
#39 Unipart Racing Team
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Phil Silverstone||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#16 Cloud Engineering
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Derek Lawrence||Chevron B38 [38.77.10] - Chevrolet Vega
#28 (see note 10)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Paul Dalton||Royale RP5  - Ford twin cam
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Nelson Piquet||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.43.7|
|2||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.43.8|
|3||Chico Serra||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.0|
|4||Stefan Johansson||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM1 [018-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.2|
|5||Andrea de Cesaris||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.3|
|6||Jim Crawford||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B43 [43.78.19] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.4|
|7||Philip Bullman||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.5|
|8||Rob Wilson *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.7|
|9||John Bright||(F3) 2-litre Wheatcroft R18  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.8|
|10||Thorkild Thyrring||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.9|
|11||Barry Green||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.02] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.5|
|12||Peré (Pedro) Noguès||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.7|
|13||Ian Flux *||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.9|
|14||John Lewis||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.46.2|
|15||Brett Riley||(F3) 2-litre Ehrlich RP4 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.46.6|
|16||Ken Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.46.7|
|17||Wyatt Stanley||(F3) 2-litre March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.47.9|
|18||David Brotherston *||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.29] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.49.6|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 783  (Chico Serra): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Rushen Green Racing 14 April 1978, colour red, with tub 78M71. This is presumably the car used by Serra at Donington 30 April 1978, where Motoring News describes it as a new and unsorted chassis being readied for Monaco, and at Silverstone the following day where the Autosport report also describes it as new and used the day before at Donington. Sold to Fermin Velez for 1979, run by Brian Lewis Racing, with the chassis number observed by F1R at Snetterton in August 1979.
- Chevron B43 [43.78.19] (Jim Crawford): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the car built to replace Jim Crawford’s wrecked B38 using many of its parts. This may well have been a works test car and Crawford later moved on to one of the three B43s sold to Toyota Switzerland. This car was probably rented to other drivers late in the season and perhaps used by Michael Bleekemolen in the European series. It may well have carried the plate 42.78.19A, which is observed on John Lewis’s “ex Bleekemolen” Chevron B43 in 1979, with the “42” a mis-stamping, or indeed a printer’s error, and the A suffix indicating that the car had been re-tubbed.
- March 783  (Philip Bullman): Shown in March records for 1978 as completed as a team car, 17 March 1978, with tub 78M43. This was the only works car built in 1978 and is the car debuted by Nigel Mansell at Silverstone, 19 March 1978, when race reports describe it as brand new. Used by Mansell in the early part of the season then by Snobeck, van Rooyen, Bullman and Hatagawa.
- March 783  (Peré (Pedro) Noguès): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Rushen Green Racing 29 March 1978, colour blue, with tub 78M42. Pedro Nogues joined Serra at Rushen Green from the end of April, with a blue 783. Retained into 1979.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.05] (Ken Silverstone): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Warwick Trailers car entered for Derek Warwick. Rented to Toleman in late 1977 for Rad Dougall after Derek Daly wrecked Toleman’s original car in testing. Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 describes the car of Ken Silverstone as ‘ex Warwick’. However, by this time Ken Silverstone also owned a Ralt and there are a number of occasions in 1978 when one car is given in the entry list and the other one appeared. As Silverstone was running near the back of the field which car he used is not always mentioned.
- March 753  (Wyatt Stanley): Originally a car belonging to the B&O team in 1975, when used by Pierre Dieudonné. Chassis number for this car and its sister, driven by Hervé Regout, observed by AF at Oulton Park 4 October 1975. Sold to Ken Silverstone for the 1976 season [Autosport 2 Sep 1976 p33 says his car is ‘ex Dieudonné.) To Wyatt Stanley in mid 1977 and retained by him for the 1978 season.
- March 773 [U2] (Ian Flux): March works records show this as James King’s works car for 1977 built on a lightweight tub AM773-41 with parts from 763-U2. Sold to Ian Flux early in 1978: Autosport 16 Mar 1978 p5 and the Autohebdo report of Silverstone 19 March 1978 say that Flux’s new car is ‘ex King’; this is supported by Autosport 4 Jan 1979 p47.
- Chevron B34 [34.76.29] (David Brotherston): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1976 BAF car entered for Rupert Keegan. To David Brotherston 1977. For sale Autosport 2 Nov 1978 p56 by Brotherston as ‘ex Keegan’. Used by Alistair Ferguson in TF3 in 1987, Autosport 12 Mar 1987 p47.
- March 773  (TBA): According to March records delivered in March 1977 to AFMP Euroracing, and subsequently given to Brett Riley in lieu of his contractual payments when the Euroracing set-up was dissolved. (This does not mean the car was Riley’s early season car in 1977; he used at least two before the team collapsed, neither of which were necessarily this car.) Run by David Price for Riley in the second half of 1977 and used to win the European round at Donington. Chassis number given in Autosport advert late in 1977 by Price. Sold to Roy Kennedy [Motoring News 2 Mar 1978 p15] although Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 says the car is ‘ex James King’. (King used a works car - 773-U2 - for most of 1977 but it is possible he had a race in this car early in the season, however his principal car went in 1978 to Ian Flux.) Run by Kennedy for Saed Ali Hodzic until Hodzic was injured in practice at the International Trophy support race; then became a rental car but did very few races. For sale by Kennedy in early 1979, Autosport 22 Feb 1979 p57, but retained and rented to Serge Saulnier for the 1979 race at Monaco.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.10] (Derek Lawrence): Chevron build record says the 1977 works car of Eje Elgh. Sold to Derek Lawrence for the 1978 season [Autosport 16 Mar 1978 p3 and Autosport 1 Jun 1978 p39 “ex Elgh”. To Lynn Whitehead by 1984, chassis number noted by Adam Ferrington; David Waterhouse [‘ex Lawrence’] by 1986 and chassis number noted by Jeremy Jackson in 1988.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.
Individual sources for this event
Programme Dan Rear.