Vandervell British Formula 3 Championship Race
Brands Hatch, 7 Oct 1978
|1||Derek Warwick||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Warwick Trailers
|2||Fernando Jorge||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|3||Brett Riley||March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4
#39 Unipart Racing Team
|4||Tiff Needell||March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4
#40 Unipart Racing Team
|5||John Bright||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#51 Twinsocks by McRitchie of Edinburgh
(see note 1)
|6||Chico Serra||March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#13 Sadia Racing with Project Four
(see note 2)
|7||Daniel Herregods||March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#62 Racing for Belgium (see note 3)
|8||Peré (Pedro) Noguès||March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#50 Rushen Green Racing (see note 4)
|9||Rob Wilson||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#31 ICL/Royal Grafton China
|10||John Lewis||Chevron B38/B43 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|DSQ||Ken Silverstone||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|UNK||Steve Malins||Chevron B43 [43.78.20] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#22 Malins (Mamod) Ltd (see note 5)
|UNK||Wyatt Stanley||March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#46 (see note 6)
|UNK||Phil Silverstone||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#16 Cloud Engineering
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Chico Serra||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.17|
|2||Brett Riley||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4||0.44.36|
|3||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.57|
|4||John Bright||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.12|
|5||Peré (Pedro) Noguès||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.34|
|6||Fernando Jorge||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.49|
|7||Tiff Needell||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Triumph Dolomite Swindon 4||0.45.57|
|8||Rob Wilson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.70|
|9||Daniel Herregods||(F3) 2-litre March 783  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.70|
|10||John Lewis||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38/B43 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.46.34|
|11||Ken Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.46.59|
|12||Steve Malins||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B43 [43.78.20] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.46.77|
|13||Wyatt Stanley||(F3) 2-litre March 753  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.47.17|
|14||Phil Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.48.25|
Notes on the cars:
- March 773  (John Bright): Shown in March records as a works car finished February 1977, on tub AM773-28 for Ayron Cornelson Filho. Also used by David Kennedy in 1977. Sold to John Bright in March 1978 to cover for his damaged Wheatcroft; see Autosport 30 Mar 1978 p16, which describes Bright’s car as ‘ex Cornelson/Kennedy’. Damaged badly by Bright and rebuilt on new tub. For sale Autosport 14 Dec 1978 as ex works, rebuilt on new tub August 1978. Not sold and used by Bright in 1979 until wrecked at Snetterton.
- March 783  (Chico Serra): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Rushen Green Racing 14 April 1978, colour red, with tub 78M71. This is presumably the car used by Serra at Donington 30 April 1978, where Motoring News describes it as a new and unsorted chassis being readied for Monaco, and at Silverstone the following day where the Autosport report also describes it as new and used the day before at Donington. Sold to Fermin Velez for 1979, run by Brian Lewis Racing, with the chassis number observed by F1R at Snetterton in August 1979.
- March 783  (Daniel Herregods): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Daniel Herregods, 19 January 1978, colour yellow with tub 78M25. To Rob Wilson in 1979 to replace his tiring Ralt RT1 and updated to 1979 specification. Autosport notes ‘ex Herregods’ and chassis number noted by F1R at Snetterton in August 1979. Sold to Gerry Amato for 1980 season, Autosport notes his car as ‘ex Wilson 1979’. Retained by Amato until 1982 then sold to Greg and Tim Atkinson.
- March 783  (Peré (Pedro) Noguès): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Rushen Green Racing 29 March 1978, colour blue, with tub 78M42. Pedro Nogues joined Serra at Rushen Green from the end of April, with a blue 783. Retained into 1979.
- Chevron B43 [43.78.20] (Steve Malins): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1978 car of Steve Malins, built to replace his wrecked B38. Rented at British GP support and Donington European championship races to Bernard Devaney. Retained 1979.
- March 753  (Wyatt Stanley): Originally a car belonging to the B&O team in 1975, when used by Pierre Dieudonné. Chassis number for this car and its sister, driven by Hervé Regout, observed by AF at Oulton Park 4 October 1975. Sold to Ken Silverstone for the 1976 season [Autosport 2 Sep 1976 p33 says his car is ‘ex Dieudonné.) To Wyatt Stanley in mid 1977 and retained by him for the 1978 season.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.