Australian Grand Prix
Warwick Farm, 22 Nov 1970
|1||Frank Matich||McLaren M10B [400-10-2] - Repco Holden V8
#10 (see note 1)
|45||1h 4m 37.6s
|2||Niel Allen||McLaren M10B [400-02] - Chevrolet V8
|45||1h 4m 44.7s
|3||Graeme Lawrence||(Tasman) 2.4-litre Ferrari Dino 246T/69  V6
|45||1h 4m 45.2s
|4||Leo Geoghegan||(ANF1) 2-litre Lotus 59 "B" [59-FB-14] - Waggott TC4V
|45||1h 4m 46.4s
|5||Dave Walker||Lotus 70  - Ford V8
|45||1h 5m 41.6s
|6||Len Goodwin||(ANF2) 1.6-litre McLaren M4A [M4A/2] - Cosworth FVA
#22 Pat Burke Racing (see note 2)
|7||Johnnie Walker||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 600B  - Ford twin cam
|8||Tony Stewart||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 600B  - Ford twin cam
|9||Jack Bono||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Brabham "BT6" [BT2 FJ-12-62] - Ford twin cam
#24 (see note 3)
|10||Max Stewart||(ANF1) 2-litre Mildren (Rennmax) - Waggott TC4V
|11||Ian Fergusson||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Bowin P3a [P3a-103-69] - Ford twin cam
|12||Frank Radisich||McLaren M10A [300-06] - Chevrolet V8
|13||Col Green||(Tasman) 2.5-litre Brabham BT16 [F2-8-65] - Climax FPF 4
#7 (see note 4)
|R||Ken Goodwin||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Rennmax BN3 - Ford twin cam
|R||Clive Millis||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 600B  - Ford twin cam
|35||out of fuel|
|R||Garrie Cooper||(Tasman) 2.5-litre Elfin 600D  - Repco V8
|R||Kevin Bartlett||Mildren (Franklen) - Chevrolet V8
|R||Bob Muir||(ANF1) 2-litre Mildren 'Mono' - Waggott TC4V
|R||Keith Holland||McLaren M10B [400-06] - Chevrolet V8
|DNS||John McCormack||(Tasman) 2.5-litre Elfin 600C  - Repco V8
|Did not start|
|UNKE||Don O'Sullivan||McLaren M10A [300-10] - Repco Holden V8
#11 (see note 5)
|On entry list|
|UNKE||Terry Quartly||(ANF2) 1.5-litre Lotus 32 [32-FL-7] - Ford
|On entry list|
|UNKE||Ivan Tighe||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 600B  - Ford twin cam
|On entry list|
|UNKE||Ray Winter||(ANF2) 1.5-litre Rennmax BN1 - Ford
|On entry list|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Frank Matich||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-10-2] - Repco Holden V8||1m 23.9s|
|2||Graeme Lawrence||(Tasman) 2.4-litre Ferrari Dino 246T/69  - Ferrari V6||1m 24.4s|
|3||Leo Geoghegan||(ANF1) 2-litre Lotus 59 "B" [59-FB-14] - Waggott TC4V||1m 25.2s|
|4||Niel Allen||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-02] - Chevrolet V8||1m 25.5s|
|5||Kevin Bartlett||(F5000) 5-litre Mildren (Franklen) - Chevrolet V8||1m 25.7s|
|6||Max Stewart||(ANF1) 2-litre Mildren (Rennmax) - Waggott TC4V||1m 25.9s|
|7||Dave Walker||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Ford V8||1m 26.5s|
|8||Keith Holland||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-06] - Chevrolet V8||1m 27.1s|
|9||Garrie Cooper||(Tasman) 2.5-litre Elfin 600D  - Repco V8||1m 27.4s|
|10||John McCormack *||(Tasman) 2.5-litre Elfin 600C  - Repco V8||1m 27.9s|
|11||Len Goodwin||(ANF2) 1.6-litre McLaren M4A [M4A/2] - Cosworth FVA||1m 29.0s|
|12||Bob Muir||(ANF1) 2-litre Mildren 'Mono' - Waggott TC4V||1m 30.2s|
|13||Col Green||(Tasman) 2.5-litre Brabham BT16 [F2-8-65] - Climax FPF 4||1m 30.7s|
|14||Johnnie Walker||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 600B  - Ford twin cam||1m 31.0s|
|15||Ken Goodwin||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Rennmax BN3 - Ford twin cam||1m 31.2s|
|16||Frank Radisich||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A [300-06] - Chevrolet V8||1m 31.2s|
|17||Clive Millis||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 600B  - Ford twin cam||1m 31.4s|
|18||Jack Bono||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Brabham "BT6" [BT2 FJ-12-62] - Ford twin cam||1m 32.4s|
|19||Ian Fergusson||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Bowin P3a [P3a-103-69] - Ford twin cam||1m 34.1s|
|20||Tony Stewart||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 600B  - Ford twin cam||1m 34.1s|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- McLaren M10B [400-10-2] (Frank Matich): New to Frank Matich (Australia) and fitted with Repco-Holden V8 for Australian racing. Raced at Warwick Farm 12 Jul 1970 but crashed, and rebuilt on a new tub as "M10C". Next raced at Calder on 18 Oct 1970, then at Australian Grand Prix 22 Nov 1970. Raced in the 1971 Tasman series, then to the US for the L&M series before returning to Australia for the 1971 Gold Star series. Crashed prior to Oran Park 27 June and rebuilt on third tub. To Frank Radisich at the end of 1971 and raced in the 1972 Tasman series, the 1972 Australian Gold Star, and the 1973 Tasman. To Keith Laney (NZ), fitted with a Chevrolet V8 and appeared in the Tasman series in 1974 and 1975. Then to Dennis Phillips for hill climbs 1976, then Russel Greer (Blenheim, NZ) and fitted with a 6.3-litre Chevy to win the 1979/80 NZ hill climb championship. Sold to Peter Addison (Australia) but history then unknown until acquired by Max Warwick (Australia) in the mid-1990s. Sold to Graham Wadsworth (Melbourne, Australia) 2006.
- McLaren M4A [M4A/2] (Len Goodwin): Entered by John Coombes for Piers Courage in F2 in 1967. Crashed at Brands Hatch in August 1967 and believed to have been rebuilt on a new tub before its next race at Albi four weeks later, but Autosport makes no mention of a rebuild nor of it being a new car. Raced by Piers Courage in the 1968 Tasman series. Sold to Niel Allen and raced in Australian events in 1968 until Allen crashed heavily at Lakeside in July, reportedly requiring another new tub to be fabricated. Raced again by Allen in 1969, then to Pat Burke for drivers Len Goodwin 1970-71 and Warwick Brown 1971. Sold by Burke and Peter Malloy to Erol Richardson but bought back by Pat Burke around 1982. Restored by Molloy for Burke and retained until sold to John Hugenholtz. To David Coplowe (England) by 1994. Raced in the HSCC Historic Formula Racing Car Championship in 1995. Still being raced by Coplowe in 2010 but not seen since. Reported to have been sold by Coplowe around 2012 but new owner unknown.
- Brabham "BT6" [BT2 FJ-12-62] (Jack Bono): Sold via Brabham's Australian agent Alec Mildren Pty Ltd to David Walker, and raced by Walker in 1963, 1964 and early 1965. Raced by Ralph Sach in 1965 then a Mildren entry with a 1500cc Ford twin cam for Frank Gardner and Kevin Bartlett during the 1965/66 season. To Competition Cars (Aust) for Mike Champion in the 1966 and 1967 Gold Star seasons, then to Brian Page for 1968. Entered by Graham Collier for Jack Bono in 1969. Through Australian owners Chris Farrell 1971, James Crawford 1973, Greg Kinlin 1977 and Graham Healey 1984 to Bryan Miller 1984 who restored it to Alec Mildren late 1965 spec with Ford twin-cam and raced extensively. To Colin Haste (Port Macquarie, NSW, Australia) 1998 and raced extensively in Australian Formula Junior Association events.
- Brabham BT16 [F2-8-65] (Col Green): John Coombes entered this Brabham BT16 for Graham Hill in 1965, fitted with a BRM P71 engine. Hill continued to race it in the early part of 1966 after which it was then refitted with a 2.5-litre Climax FPF and taken to Australia by Frank Gardner to be used in Tasman racing. Gardner won first time out at a Gold Star race at Warwick Farm in December 1966 and then raced it in the 1967 Tasman series as part of Alec Mildren's team. After the series it was acquired by Niel Allen who planned to race it himself but instead entered it for Fred Gibson in 1967 and again in early 1968 before it was sold to Col Green in mid-1968. Retained by Green for three seasons and then sold to Neil Rear (Perth, Western Australia) and raced by him at Waneroo Park in 1972. In 1973, it was fitted with a Cosworth 1600 engine and at the end of that season, Rear sold it to Colin Hall, who planned to fit a Lotus twin cam, but continued to drive his Macon instead. The Brabham passed through various owners until acquired by photographer Julian Cowan. Sold via Bonhams to Rob McMillan (Sydney, Australia) and rebuilt on a replica chassis for historic racing, the original chassis being cut up and scrapped.
- McLaren M10A [300-10] (Don O'Sullivan): New to Frank Matich (Cremorne, Australia) late 1969. Raced in the 1970 Tasman series, taking four pole positions and winning at Pukekohe and Levin. Damaged in an accident during a preliminary race at the Singapore GP in March 1970 and replaced with a new M10B. The M10A was repaired, fitted with a Repco Holden engine and sold to Don O'Sullivan, who was entered by Team Matich in the 1971 Tasman series. O'Sullivan crashed at Teretonga and the car was destroyed. Parts were later used in O'Sullivan's Gardos F5000 car.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
Australian Gold Star results for the period 1971-1976 are now available from a variety Australian magazines and yearbooks. As well as Racing Car News, results have been cross-checked against the 1972 Australian Motoring Yearbook and the 1973 and 1974 Australian Competition Yearbooks. Information is added from Autosport where available. The 1975 season was collated by Glenn Moulds using Racing Car News, Australian Auto Action, Chequered Flag, Australian Competition Year, "50 Years Of The Australian Grand Prix" and "Australia's Elfin Sports and Racing Cars". For the 1976 season, Glenn was also able to use Motor Sport Reporter from R3 Calder onwards.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.
Individual sources for this event
These 1970 Australian GP results are taken principally from Autosport's race report (3 Dec 1970 pp34-35) with a few additional details from Motoring News (3 Dec 1970 p7) and retirement laps completed from Australian Grand Prix p352.