World Cup International F3 Race
Donington Park, 9 Apr 1978
|1||Derek Warwick||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Warwick Trailers
|2||Stefan Johansson||Argo JM1 [002-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#53 Anglia Cars
|3||Philip Bullman||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#32 Alan Docking Racing (see note 1)
|4||Jorgé Caton||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#8 Equipo Nacional Espanol
|5||Ian Flux||March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#14 Cloud Engineering (see note 2)
|6||John Bright||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#51 Rugby Finance (see note 3)
|7||Rob Wilson||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#31 International Computers Ltd-Royal Grafton China
|8||Stanley Dickens||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|9||Ken Silverstone||Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#18 (see note 4)
|10||Fermin Veléz||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#7 Equipo Nacional Espanol
|11||Pierre Dieudonné||Ehrlich RP4 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#56 Dr J. Ehrlich
|R||Nelson Piquet||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|R||Geoff Brabham||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#11 (see note 5)
|R||Phil Silverstone||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#16 Cloud Engineering
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Stefan Johansson||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM1 [002-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.10.7|
|2||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.10.8|
|3||Nelson Piquet||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.11.0|
|4||Geoff Brabham||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.11.1|
|5||Philip Bullman||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.11.1|
|6||Ian Flux||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.11.7|
|7||Jorgé Caton||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.11.8|
|9||John Bright||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.11.9|
|10||Pierre Dieudonné||(F3) 2-litre Ehrlich RP4 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.12.7|
|11||Fermin Veléz||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.12.9|
|12||Stanley Dickens||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.12.9|
|13||Rob Wilson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.13.0|
|14||Ken Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.13.4|
|15||Phil Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.15.3|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philip Bullman): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Docking Racing car entered for Philippe Colonna. (The team’s other car was chassis 19 for Ian Grob which was also retained and run later in the season for Rothengatter.) Retained by Docking in 1978 and run for Philip Bullman: Autosport 16 Mar 1978 p3 says Bullman uses Colonna’s 1977 car. Colonna returned to the car for a one-off race, see Autosport 25 May 1978 p8, and then used the car more regularly at the end of the season.
- March 773 [U2] (Ian Flux): March works records show this as James King’s works car for 1977 built on a lightweight tub AM773-41 with parts from 763-U2. Sold to Ian Flux early in 1978: Autosport 16 Mar 1978 p5 and the Autohebdo report of Silverstone 19 March 1978 say that Flux’s new car is ‘ex King’; this is supported by Autosport 4 Jan 1979 p47.
- March 773  (John Bright): Shown in March records as a works car finished February 1977, on tub AM773-28 for Ayron Cornelson Filho. Also used by David Kennedy in 1977. Sold to John Bright in March 1978 to cover for his damaged Wheatcroft; see Autosport 30 Mar 1978 p16, which describes Bright’s car as ‘ex Cornelson/Kennedy’. Damaged badly by Bright and rebuilt on new tub. For sale Autosport 14 Dec 1978 as ex works, rebuilt on new tub August 1978. Not sold and used by Bright in 1979 until wrecked at Snetterton.
- Chevron B38 [38.77.05] (Ken Silverstone): Chassis number given by source with access to Chevron build records for the 1977 Warwick Trailers car entered for Derek Warwick. Rented to Toleman in late 1977 for Rad Dougall after Derek Daly wrecked Toleman’s original car in testing. Autosport 9 Mar 1978 p41 describes the car of Ken Silverstone as ‘ex Warwick’. However, by this time Ken Silverstone also owned a Ralt and there are a number of occasions in 1978 when one car is given in the entry list and the other one appeared. As Silverstone was running near the back of the field which car he used is not always mentioned.
- Ralt RT1/76  (Geoff Brabham): Ralt records show as sold to Geoff Brabham in 1976, probably being delivered in early June. Chassis number noted: AF 16.7.77 Silverstone. Used by him until the end of 1978 then sold to Ken Thorogood’s Hub of the Universe Racing for Osamu Hatagawa to use in British races.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.
Individual sources for this event