World Cup International F3 Race
Donington Park, 9 Apr 1978
|1||Derek Warwick||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 Warwick Trailers
|2||Stefan Johansson||Argo JM1 [003-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#53 Anglia Cars
|3||Philip Bullman||Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#32 Alan Docking Racing (see note 1)
|4||Jorge Caton||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#8 Equipo Nacional Espanol
|5||Ian Flux||March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#14 Cloud Engineering (see note 2)
|6||John Bright||March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#51 Rugby Finance (see note 3)
|7||Rob Wilson||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#31 International Computers Ltd-Royal Grafton China
|8||Stanley Dickens||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|9||Ken Silverstone||Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|10||Fermin Veléz||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#7 Equipo Nacional Espanol
|R||Phil Silverstone||Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#16 Cloud Engineering
|R||Nelson Piquet||Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|R||Geoff Brabham||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#11 (see note 4)
|R||Pierre Dieudonné||Ehrlich RP4 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#56 Dr J. Ehrlich
|DNA||Paul Bernasconi||Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Richard Jones||March 743  - Triumph Dolomite 4
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Richard Morgan||March 773 [U1] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#33 (see note 5)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Stefan Johansson||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM1 [003-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.10.7|
|2||Derek Warwick||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.10.8|
|3||Nelson Piquet||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.11.0|
|4||Geoff Brabham||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.11.1|
|5||Philip Bullman||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.24] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.11.1|
|6||Ian Flux||(F3) 2-litre March 773 [U2] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.11.7|
|7||Jorge Caton||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.11.8|
|9||John Bright||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.11.9|
|10||Pierre Dieudonné||(F3) 2-litre Ehrlich RP4 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.12.7|
|11||Fermin Veléz||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.12.9|
|12||Stanley Dickens||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.12.9|
|13||Rob Wilson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.13.0|
|14||Ken Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B38 [38.77.05] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.13.4|
|15||Phil Silverstone||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.15.3|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B38 [38.77.24] (Philip Bullman): New to Alan Docking Racing for Philippe Colonna to race in British F3 in 1977. Retained by the Docking team for 1978, and raced by Philip Bullman and by Colonna in British F3. Unknown in 1979 but purchased by Eddie Heasell in early 1980 for British F3 and libre. Retained for libre in 1981.
- March 773 [U2] (Ian Flux): March works records show this as James King's works car for 1977 built on a lightweight tub AM773-41 with parts from 763-U2. This would be the "ex-King" car sold to Ian Flux early in 1978, and raced by him in the 1978 British F3 series.
- March 773  (John Bright): Shown in March records as a works car finished February 1977, on tub AM773-28 for Ayron Cornelson Filho. Also used by David Kennedy in 1977. Sold to John Bright in March 1978 to cover for his damaged Wheatcroft. Damaged badly by Bright and rebuilt on new tub in August. Retained by Bright in 1979 until wrecked at Snetterton.
- Ralt RT1/76  (Geoff Brabham): Ralt records show as sold to Geoff Brabham in 1976, probably being delivered in early June. Used by him until the end of 1978 then sold to Ken Thorogood's Hub of the Universe Racing for Osamu Hatagawa to use in British races.
- March 773 [U1] (Richard Morgan): March works records show this as Mario Ferraris' works car for 1977 built on tub AM773-14 and rebuilt after Ferraris' Monaco accident on tub AM773-65. Sold in March 1978 to Neasrader Film Production for Richard Morgan according to the works records. Motoring News 30 Mar 1978 p11 says that Morgan's car is ex King, but we know from reports and the works records that King's main car was 773-U2. However, that car was damaged in the 1977 season and it is possible that King used 773-U1 after its rebuild as Ferraris' damaged wrist took longer to recover than the car did. Sold to John Bright in 1979 to replace his wrecked 773-13 and its identity eventually perhaps blurred with that car in a rebuild after a heavy accident.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
Individual sources for this event