Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Thruxton, 25 Oct 1981
|1||Thierry Tassin||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader
#2 Neil Trundle Racing (see note 1)
|2||Bengt Trägårdh||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#19 David Price Racing (see note 2)
|3||Dave Scott||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#16 Swift Caravans Mint Engineering
(see note 3)
|4||Roberto Moreno||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#33 Barron Racing (see note 4)
|5||Raul Boesel||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader
#8 Murray Taylor Racing (see note 5)
|6||Jonathan Palmer||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Mader
#12 West Surrey Racing (see note 6)
|7||Dave Coyne||Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#25 Anson Cars
|8||Mike White||March 813  - Alfa Romeo Novamotor
#1 March Engineering
|9||Kees Nierop||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#36 Team Tiga
|10||Richard Trott||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nelson
#4 (see note 7)
|11||Cliff Hansen||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#6 Team Tiga
|12||David Leslie||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#7 Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 8)
|13||Enrique Benamo||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#10 Rushen Green Racing (see note 9)
|14||Claus Schinkel||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader
#30 Neil Trundle Racing (see note 10)
|15||Cesar Pegoraro||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#42 Ivens Lumar Group Racing (see note 11)
|16||Ilias Efessios||Argo JM6 [039-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#44 Bob Geeson Racing
|17||Gerry Amato||Chevron B47 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|R||James Weaver||Tiga F381  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#5 Team Tiga
|DNS||Tony Norton||March 773  - Triumph Dolomite 4
#32 PC Designs (see note 12)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Jeff Williams||Ralt RT1/78 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#41 C. Hannay Offlicences
|Did not start|
|DNA||Mike Dixon||March 793  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#24 Tarry Racing
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||David Sturdy||Argo JM8 [055-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Dave Scott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.19.79|
|2||Jonathan Palmer||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Mader||1.20.12|
|3||Thierry Tassin||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader||1.20.20|
|4||Bengt Trägårdh||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.20.24|
|5||Raul Boesel||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader||1.20.66|
|6||Roberto Moreno||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.20.77|
|7||Mike White||(F3) 2-litre March 813  - Alfa Romeo Novamotor||1.20.79|
|8||Dave Coyne||(F3) 2-litre Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.21.85|
|9||David Leslie||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.21.87|
|10||Kees Nierop||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.22.00|
|11||Enrique Benamo||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.22.20|
|12||James Weaver||(F3) 2-litre Tiga F381  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.22.40|
|13||Cliff Hansen||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.22.57|
|14||Claus Schinkel||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Mader||1.22.97|
|15||Richard Trott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nelson||1.23.05|
|16||Ilias Efessios||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM6 [039-F3] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.25.76|
|17||Cesar Pegoraro||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.25.81|
|18||Tony Norton *||(F3) 2-litre March 773  - Triumph Dolomite 4||1.39.26|
|19||Gerry Amato||(F3) 2-litre Chevron B47 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.46.26|
|20||Jeff Williams *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1/78 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.48.92|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/81  (Thierry Tassin): Sold to Neil Trundle 7 Apr 1981. Most probably therefore the car used by Thierry Tassin in 1981, as Trundle's other 1981 car (chassis 222) appears from the first round with Claus Schinkel driving. Sold to Galvani GRO team for Carlos Abella to use in 1982, run by Mick Cook. (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38 'ex-Tassin').
- Ralt RT3/80  (Bengt Trägårdh): Sold to Eddie Jordan 7 Aug 1980 and used by him in latter part of 1980 season. Sold to Terry Gray for 1981 season (Autosport 15 Jan 1981) but only lightly used. For sale Autosport 30 Apr 1981 p61. Sold to Dave Price for Fred Krab to run in Euro series, debut Zandvoort round. For sale by DPR 'new tub in Aug' Autosport 14 Jan 1982 p62. Sold to Phil Dowsett to run in 1982 UK series (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38; Motorig News 4 Mar 1982 p3 'ex DPR Krab/Tragardh'); sold late season to Leo Andersson (Autosport 28 Oct 1982 p15).
- Ralt RT3/81  (Dave Scott): Sold to Dave Scott 16 Jun 1981 and used by him in the latter part of the 1981 season. Used in first part of 1982 (1981 spec car with 82 front suspension Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4). Sold to Mick Cook Racing ('ex-Scott 82 spec' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6) and run as rental car.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Roberto Moreno): Sold to Glenn Bosch for 1981, to be run by Wimhurst. Bosch then injured in RTA and Bleekemolen used the car. Team became Barron Racing for 1982, running the car for Cor Euser and Tim Davies. Sold to Mick Cook Racing for Martin Longmore (Autosport 5 Aug 1982 p31 'ex Barron') then to EJR late 1982 as hire car, being used by Mike Blanchet at Silverstone 3 Oct 1982, and used by Weaver in late season Euro rounds.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Raul Boesel): Sold new 9 Apr 1981 to Murray Taylor Racing. Used as spare car by Raul Boesel (see Autosport 16 Apr 1981 p8), became regular race car by mid season, replacing chassis 216. Retained 1981 and used by Tommy Byrne in early season in preference to new 1982 model, chassis 282. Autosport 11 Mar 1982 says that Byrne uses Taylor's older Ralt at the first round at Silverstone. Byrne went back to this car, rebuilt on a new tub, at Brands 11 Jul 1982.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Jonathan Palmer): Sold to Project Four for Stefan Johansson 15 Aug 1980. Used to win 1980 championship. Sold to West Surrey Racing for Jonathan Palmer, 1981. Won 1981 championship. Retained by WSR and used by Enrique Mansilla in early 1982, then leased to Osamu Nakako [Motoring News 15 Jul 1982 p15). For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68 '1981 champ winning car' to Gerry Amato Autosport 18 Nov 1982 p13 'ex Johansson, Palmer'.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Richard Trott): Sold to Richard Trott 19 Jan 1981. Used throughout 1981 season, leased to Tassin at Cadwell Park. Retained 1982, rented to Martin Longmore for British GP support race.
- Ralt RT3/81  (David Leslie): Sold to Eddie Jordan 22 Feb 1981 and used throughout 1981, mainly by David Sears. Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4 advises that Jordan's 81 spec Ralt will be driven in 1982 by James Weaver. (A new 82 spec car - chassis 293 - had been purchased for Fernando Macedo to drive.) Used to win Donington Euro round 4 Apr 1982. Retained as spare car early 1983 and driven by Tommy Grunnah at first British round.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Enrique Benamo): Sold to Enrique Benamo 15 Apr 1981 and run by Rushen Green Racing throughout the season. Taken by Benamo to Docking Spitzley for 1982 and subsequently rented to Roy Steele when Benamo ran out of money. Sold to Martin Wood in Sep 1982 (Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6). Retained by Wood 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1983 p37).
- Ralt RT3/81  (Claus Schinkel): Sold to Neil Trundle 20 Feb 1981 and used by Claus Schinkel in the British series. Retained early 1982 and driven by Luis Schafer (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 'ex Schinkel'), then sold to DB Racing for Mario Hytten when a 1982 spec car arrived.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Cesar Pegoraro): Sold to Hope Scott Garage and used by David Leslie in the 1981 season. Sold to Mike Reed (Ivens Lumar Racing) Autosport 3 Sep 1981 p3. Ivens Lumar ran Alfonso Toledano in the car in early 1981 (Autosport 21 Jan 1982 p6). Rebuilt on an 82 spec tub after accident at R3 (Motoring News 1 Apr 1982 p20; the car is described as 'new' by Autosport when it reappears at Thruxton on 12 Apr). Then run for Roberto Moreno from Mallory Park 25 Apr.
- March 773  (Tony Norton): March build records show sold to Unipart, 23 December 1976. Only one 773 is consigned to Unipart in the build records. Assumed that Taylor as senior driver would take the new car, a fact borne out by occasional references in 1977 to Needell being in a 763, the team's original car.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.