Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Silverstone, 31 May 1982
|1||Roberto Moreno||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
#10 Ivens Lumar Racing (see note 1)
|2||James Weaver||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#2 Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 2)
|3||Dave Scott||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Mint Engineering (see note 3)
|4||Enrique Mansilla||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G
West Surrey Racing (see note 4)
|5||Tommy Byrne||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
Murray Taylor Racing (see note 5)
|6||Martin Brundle||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
Dave Price Racing (see note 6)
|7||Mario Hytten||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
DB Motorsport (see note 7)
|8||Mike O'Brien||Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
|9||Ian Shaw||March 813  - Alfa Romeo Novamotor
Tarry Racing (see note 8)
|10||Osamu Nakako||Hayashi HR321 - Toyota 2T-G
|11||Tim Lee-Davey||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
(see note 9)
|12||David Leslie||Magnum 823  - Toyota 2T-G
|13||Roy Steele||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
Docking Spitzley Racing (see note 10)
|14||Phil Kempe||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 11)
|15||Tony Norton||March 803  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 12)
|16||Jeff Williams||Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G
|17||Brian Dunning||March 803B [803-10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|R||Josh Wright||Pilbeam MP51  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Abbey Farm Racing
|R||Peter Argetsinger||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
HART (see note 13)
|R||Juan-Carlos Abella||Ralt RT3/81  - VW Brabham
Mick Cook Racing (see note 14)
|R||Alfonso Toledano||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Roy Kennedy Racing (see note 15)
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||James Weaver||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.53.58|
|2||Roberto Moreno||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||0.53.77|
|3||Tommy Byrne||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||0.54.19|
|4||Dave Scott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.54.25|
|5||Enrique Mansilla||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G||0.54.34|
|6||Mario Hytten||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||0.54.50|
|7||Ian Shaw||(F3) 2-litre March 813  - Alfa Romeo Novamotor||0.54.50|
|8||Martin Brundle||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||0.54.55|
|9||Alfonso Toledano||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.54.66|
|10||Juan-Carlos Abella||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - VW Brabham||0.54.69|
|11||Mike O'Brien||(F3) 2-litre Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||0.54.73|
|12||David Leslie||(F3) 2-litre Magnum 823  - Toyota 2T-G||0.54.80|
|13||Peter Argetsinger||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||0.55.12|
|14||Osamu Nakako||(F3) 2-litre Hayashi HR321 - Toyota 2T-G||0.55.17|
|15||Roy Steele||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||0.55.25|
|16||Phil Kempe||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.55.58|
|17||Josh Wright||(F3) 2-litre Pilbeam MP51  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.55.93|
|18||Tony Norton||(F3) 2-litre March 803  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.56.26|
|19||Jeff Williams||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G||0.58.55|
|20||Brian Dunning||(F3) 2-litre March 803B [803-10] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.59.40|
|21||Tim Lee-Davey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||Time disallowed [0.54.98] leaking airbox|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/81  (Roberto Moreno): Sold to Hope Scott Garage and used by David Leslie in the 1981 season. Sold to Mike Reed (Ivens Lumar Racing) Autosport 3 Sep 1981 p3. Ivens Lumar ran Alfonso Toledano in the car in early 1981 (Autosport 21 Jan 1982 p6). Rebuilt on an 82 spec tub after accident at R3 (Motoring News 1 Apr 1982 p20; the car is described as 'new' by Autosport when it reappears at Thruxton on 12 Apr). Then run for Roberto Moreno from Mallory Park 25 Apr.
- Ralt RT3/81  (James Weaver): Sold to Eddie Jordan 22 Feb 1981 and used throughout 1981, mainly by David Sears. Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4 advises that Jordan's 81 spec Ralt will be driven in 1982 by James Weaver. (A new 82 spec car - chassis 293 - had been purchased for Fernando Macedo to drive.) Used to win Donington Euro round 4 Apr 1982. Retained as spare car early 1983 and driven by Tommy Grunnah at first British round.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Dave Scott): Sold to Dave Scott 16 Jun 1981 and used by him in the latter part of the 1981 season. Used in first part of 1982 (1981 spec car with 82 front suspension Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4). Sold to Mick Cook Racing ('ex-Scott 82 spec' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6) and run as rental car.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Enrique Mansilla): Sold to West Surrey Racing for Enrique Mansilla. Badly damaged in testing at Goodwood in late February, rebuilt in time for first race of 1982 season, but Mansilla then preferred the older WSR car until Silverstone 31 May. Used by Senna to win his first F3 race at Thruxton at the end of the season. For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tommy Byrne): Sold to Murray Taylor Racing 26 Feb 1982 but not debuted until Snetterton 2 May, driven by Tommy Byrne. Taken over by Lee-Davey at Brands 11 Jul. Rented to Dave Coyne for Oulton 26 Sep.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Martin Brundle): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 and debuted by Jean-Louis Schlesser at Monaco (Autosport 3 Jun 1982 p17). Chassis number given in Autosort 7 Oct 1982. Used by Brundle from Silverstone 31 May onwards after damage to 294 at Dijon. Sold to Ronnie Grant, 1983 and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Mario Hytten): Sold to Neil Trundle 20 Feb 1981 and used by Claus Schinkel in the British series. Retained early 1982 and driven by Luis Schafer (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 'ex Schinkel'), then sold to DB Racing for Mario Hytten when a 1982 spec car arrived.
- March 813  (Ian Shaw): A works car for Toshio Suzuki, completed 27 Feb 1981. Sold to Tarry Racing for Ian Shaw, described as 'ex Suzuki' AS 6 May 1982 then to Phil Dowsett ('ex Suzuki' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6).
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tim Lee-Davey): Sold to Tim Lee-Davey 23 Feb 1982 and run by Christal Racing for early part of 1982 series. From Silverstone 31 May, run independently. When Lee-Davey went to Murray Taylor Racing the car went with him and was used by other MTR drivers, including Mike Rosen at Brands 11 Jul and Davy Jones at Brands 15 Aug. Retained by Lee-Davey for 1983.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Roy Steele): Sold to Enrique Benamo 15 Apr 1981 and run by Rushen Green Racing throughout the season. Taken by Benamo to Docking Spitzley for 1982 and subsequently rented to Roy Steele when Benamo ran out of money. Sold to Martin Wood in Sep 1982 (Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6). Retained by Wood 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1983 p37).
- Ralt RT3/82  (Phil Kempe): Sold to Eddie Jordan, 17 Feb 1982, initially for Fernando Macedo. Taken over by Phil Kempe at Silverstone 31 May. Raced by David Leslie at Cadwell when Kempe had glandular fever. Weaver finally got to drive the car at Oulton 7 Aug, then used by Paul Bishop a week later.
- March 803  (Tony Norton): Sold to Eddie Jordan 18 Jan 1980. Used in first part of 1980 season, then rented out, and for sale with chassis number (Autosport 5 Feb 1981 p47). To Roger Cowman (Belper, Derbyshire) for Ian Shaw then subsequently to Tony Norton. Retained 1982.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Peter Argetsinger): Sold to Murray Taylor Racing 21 Jan 1981. Initially Raul Boesel's race car, then later used by Tim Lee-Davey (British GP support race) and Tommy Byrne. For sale Autosport 4 Feb 1982 p61 MTR offer 81 RT3 'as driven by Boesel, Byrne and Lee-Davey'. Sold to Peter Argetsinger (Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p5 says ex Boesel; Motoring News says ex-Lee Davey, so the older 1981 MTR car). Also rented to David Sears.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Juan-Carlos Abella): Sold to Neil Trundle 7 Apr 1981. Most probably therefore the car used by Thierry Tassin in 1981, as Trundle's other 1981 car (chassis 222) appears from the first round with Claus Schinkel driving. Sold to Galvani GRO team for Carlos Abella to use in 1982, run by Mick Cook. (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38 'ex-Tassin').
- Ralt RT3/80  (Alfonso Toledano): Sold to Wyatt Stanley 22 May 1980 and used in 1980 British series. To Roy Kennedy Racing ('ex Stanley' Autosport 2 Jul 1981 p4) for various rental drivers. Retained 1982.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.