Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Brands Hatch, 15 Aug 1982
|1||Dave Scott||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
#5 Mint Engineering (see note 1)
|2||Martin Brundle||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
Dave Price Racing (see note 2)
|3||Richard Trott||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nelson
(see note 3)
|4||Bengt Trägårdh||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
Dave Price Racing (see note 4)
|5||Davy Jones||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
Murray Taylor Racing (see note 5)
|6||Mario Hytten||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
DB Motorsport (see note 6)
|7||Mike O'Brien||Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
|8||Paul Bishop||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 7)
|9||Enrique Mansilla||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
West Surrey Racing (see note 8)
|10||Paul Gerrish||Pilbeam MP51  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Abbey Farm Racing
|11||Mike Rosen||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
Murray Taylor Racing (see note 9)
|12||Jeff Williams||Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|13||Bob Birrell||March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
(see note 10)
|14||James Weaver||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 11)
|15||Tony Trevor||Ralt RT3/81 - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
||12||Collision with Rosen|
|16||Tim Lee-Davey||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
Murray Taylor Racing (see note 12)
|17||Roberto Moreno||Ralt RT3/81  - Alfa Romeo Novamotor
Ivens Lumar Racing (see note 13)
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Enrique Mansilla||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.43.58|
|2||Dave Scott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||0.43.80|
|3||Roberto Moreno||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Alfa Romeo Novamotor||0.43.94|
|4||Martin Brundle||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||0.43.99|
|5||Davy Jones||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||0.44.01|
|6||James Weaver||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.44.19|
|7||Richard Trott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nelson||0.44.28|
|8||Bengt Trägårdh||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||0.44.38|
|9||Mike O'Brien||(F3) 2-litre Anson SA3C  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||0.44.58|
|10||Tony Trevor||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81 - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||0.44.69|
|11||Mario Hytten||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||0.44.72|
|12||Mike Rosen||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||0.44.78|
|13||Tim Lee-Davey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||0.44.88|
|14||Paul Bishop||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.38|
|15||Paul Gerrish||(F3) 2-litre Pilbeam MP51  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.45.86|
|16||Jeff Williams||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT1 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||0.47.18|
|17||Bob Birrell||(F3) 2-litre March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||0.48.05|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/82  (Dave Scott): Sold to Mint Engineering for Dave Scott in early July 1982. To Carlton Tingling for 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1982 p37) and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Martin Brundle): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 and debuted by Jean-Louis Schlesser at Monaco (Autosport 3 Jun 1982 p17). Chassis number given in Autosort 7 Oct 1982. Used by Brundle from Silverstone 31 May onwards after damage to 294 at Dijon. Sold to Ronnie Grant, 1983 and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Richard Trott): Sold to Richard Trott 19 Jan 1981. Used throughout 1981 season, leased to Tassin at Cadwell Park. Retained 1982, rented to Martin Longmore for British GP support race.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Bengt Trägårdh): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 as new chassis for Petit to use in French series. Then run for Bengt Tragardh (Autosport 14 Oct 1982). Run by DPR for Johnny Dumfries in 1983 (Autosport 'ex Petit/Tragardh').
- Ralt RT3/82  (Davy Jones): Sold to Tim Lee-Davey 23 Feb 1982 and run by Christal Racing for early part of 1982 series. From Silverstone 31 May, run independently. When Lee-Davey went to Murray Taylor Racing the car went with him and was used by other MTR drivers, including Mike Rosen at Brands 11 Jul and Davy Jones at Brands 15 Aug. Retained by Lee-Davey for 1983.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Mario Hytten): Sold to Neil Trundle 20 Feb 1981 and used by Claus Schinkel in the British series. Retained early 1982 and driven by Luis Schafer (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 'ex Schinkel'), then sold to DB Racing for Mario Hytten when a 1982 spec car arrived.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Paul Bishop): Sold to Eddie Jordan, 17 Feb 1982, initially for Fernando Macedo. Taken over by Phil Kempe at Silverstone 31 May. Raced by David Leslie at Cadwell when Kempe had glandular fever. Weaver finally got to drive the car at Oulton 7 Aug, then used by Paul Bishop a week later.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Enrique Mansilla): Sold to West Surrey Racing for Enrique Mansilla. Badly damaged in testing at Goodwood in late February, rebuilt in time for first race of 1982 season, but Mansilla then preferred the older WSR car until Silverstone 31 May. Used by Senna to win his first F3 race at Thruxton at the end of the season. For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Mike Rosen): Sold new 9 Apr 1981 to Murray Taylor Racing. Used as spare car by Raul Boesel (see Autosport 16 Apr 1981 p8), became regular race car by mid season, replacing chassis 216. Retained 1981 and used by Tommy Byrne in early season in preference to new 1982 model, chassis 282. Autosport 11 Mar 1982 says that Byrne uses Taylor's older Ralt at the first round at Silverstone. Byrne went back to this car, rebuilt on a new tub, at Brands 11 Jul 1982.
- March 813  (Bob Birrell): Sold to Victor Rosso, 26 Apr 1981 and used in British series. Sold to Major Bob Birrell for 1982 and driven by Ed Jones at Cadwell. Retained 1983 and used by Jan Thoelke in German series.
- Ralt RT3/81  (James Weaver): Sold to Eddie Jordan 22 Feb 1981 and used throughout 1981, mainly by David Sears. Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4 advises that Jordan's 81 spec Ralt will be driven in 1982 by James Weaver. (A new 82 spec car - chassis 293 - had been purchased for Fernando Macedo to drive.) Used to win Donington Euro round 4 Apr 1982. Retained as spare car early 1983 and driven by Tommy Grunnah at first British round.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tim Lee-Davey): Sold to Murray Taylor Racing 26 Feb 1982 but not debuted until Snetterton 2 May, driven by Tommy Byrne. Taken over by Lee-Davey at Brands 11 Jul. Rented to Dave Coyne for Oulton 26 Sep.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Roberto Moreno): Sold to Hope Scott Garage and used by David Leslie in the 1981 season. Sold to Mike Reed (Ivens Lumar Racing) Autosport 3 Sep 1981 p3. Ivens Lumar ran Alfonso Toledano in the car in early 1981 (Autosport 21 Jan 1982 p6). Rebuilt on an 82 spec tub after accident at R3 (Motoring News 1 Apr 1982 p20; the car is described as 'new' by Autosport when it reappears at Thruxton on 12 Apr). Then run for Roberto Moreno from Mallory Park 25 Apr.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.