Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Snetterton, 12 Sep 1982
|1||Enrique Mansilla||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
#2 West Surrey Racing (see note 1)
|2||Tommy Byrne||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
#1 Murray Taylor Racing (see note 2)
|3||Dave Scott||Ralt RT3/82  - VW
#3 Mint Engineering (see note 3)
|4||Martin Brundle||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
#6 Dave Price Racing (see note 4)
|5||David Sears||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
#10 HART (see note 5)
|6||Mario Hytten||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
DB Motorsport (see note 6)
|7||Phil Dowsett||March 813  - Toyota 2T-G
Tarry Racing (see note 7)
|8||Josh Wright||Pilbeam MP51  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
Abbey Farm Racing
|9||Tony Trevor||Ralt RT3/81 - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
|10||Tim Lee-Davey||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
Murray Taylor Racing (see note 8)
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Enrique Mansilla||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.01.84|
|2||Tommy Byrne||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||1.01.92|
|3||Dave Scott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW||1.01.97|
|4||David Sears||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.02.22|
|5||Martin Brundle||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.02.31|
|6||Tim Lee-Davey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||1.02.56|
|7||Tony Trevor||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81 - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.02.81|
|8||Mario Hytten||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.02.86|
|9||Josh Wright||(F3) 2-litre Pilbeam MP51  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.04.16|
|10||Phil Dowsett||(F3) 2-litre March 813  - Toyota 2T-G||1.04.74|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/82  (Enrique Mansilla): Sold to West Surrey Racing for Enrique Mansilla. Badly damaged in testing at Goodwood in late February, rebuilt in time for first race of 1982 season, but Mansilla then preferred the older WSR car until Silverstone 31 May. Used by Senna to win his first F3 race at Thruxton at the end of the season. For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tommy Byrne): Sold to Tim Lee-Davey 23 Feb 1982 and run by Christal Racing for early part of 1982 series. From Silverstone 31 May, run independently. When Lee-Davey went to Murray Taylor Racing the car went with him and was used by other MTR drivers, including Mike Rosen at Brands 11 Jul and Davy Jones at Brands 15 Aug. Retained by Lee-Davey for 1983.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Dave Scott): Sold to Mint Engineering for Dave Scott in early July 1982. To Carlton Tingling for 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1982 p37) and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Martin Brundle): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 and debuted by Jean-Louis Schlesser at Monaco (Autosport 3 Jun 1982 p17). Chassis number given in Autosort 7 Oct 1982. Used by Brundle from Silverstone 31 May onwards after damage to 294 at Dijon. Sold to Ronnie Grant, 1983 and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/81  (David Sears): Sold to Murray Taylor Racing 21 Jan 1981. Initially Raul Boesel's race car, then later used by Tim Lee-Davey (British GP support race) and Tommy Byrne. For sale Autosport 4 Feb 1982 p61 MTR offer 81 RT3 'as driven by Boesel, Byrne and Lee-Davey'. Sold to Peter Argetsinger (Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p5 says ex Boesel; Motoring News says ex-Lee Davey, so the older 1981 MTR car). Also rented to David Sears.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Mario Hytten): Sold to Neil Trundle 20 Feb 1981 and used by Claus Schinkel in the British series. Retained early 1982 and driven by Luis Schafer (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 'ex Schinkel'), then sold to DB Racing for Mario Hytten when a 1982 spec car arrived.
- March 813  (Phil Dowsett): A works car for Toshio Suzuki, completed 27 Feb 1981. Sold to Tarry Racing for Ian Shaw, described as 'ex Suzuki' AS 6 May 1982 then to Phil Dowsett ('ex Suzuki' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6).
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tim Lee-Davey): Sold to Murray Taylor Racing 26 Feb 1982 but not debuted until Snetterton 2 May, driven by Tommy Byrne. Taken over by Lee-Davey at Brands 11 Jul. Rented to Dave Coyne for Oulton 26 Sep.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.