Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Thruxton, 24 Oct 1982
|1||Martin Brundle||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
#5 Dave Price Racing (see note 1)
|2||Tommy Byrne||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
#1 Murray Taylor Racing (see note 2)
|3||Enrique Mansilla||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
#2 West Surrey Racing (see note 3)
|4||David Sears||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
HART (see note 4)
|5||James Weaver||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 5)
|6||Bengt Trägårdh||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
#16 Dave Price Racing (see note 6)
|7||Juan-Carlos Abella||Ralt RT3/81  - VW Brabham
Mick Cook Racing (see note 7)
|8||Mario Hytten||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
#9 DB Motorsport (see note 8)
|9||Tony Trevor||Ralt RT3/81 - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
|10||Henri Toivönen||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#17 Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 9)
|11||Leo Andersson||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 10)
|12||Martin Wood||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
(see note 11)
|DNS||Tim Lee-Davey||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh
(see note 12)
|Did not start
|DNQ||Gerry Amato||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
(see note 13)
|Did not qualify|
|DNA||Dave Scott||Ralt RT3/82  VW
Mint Engineering (see note 14)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Martin Brundle||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.13.77|
|2||Tommy Byrne||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||1.13.87|
|3||Enrique Mansilla||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.14.35|
|4||Bengt Trägårdh||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.14.41|
|5||Mario Hytten||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.14.67|
|6||David Sears||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.14.83|
|7||Juan-Carlos Abella||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - VW Brabham||1.14.84|
|8||James Weaver||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.15.09|
|9||Henri Toivönen||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.15.30|
|10||Tony Trevor||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81 - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.15.33|
|11||Tim Lee-Davey *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||1.16.31|
|12||Leo Andersson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.13|
|13||Martin Wood||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Hesketh||1.18.87|
|14||Gerry Amato *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.21.70|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/82  (Martin Brundle): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 and debuted by Jean-Louis Schlesser at Monaco (Autosport 3 Jun 1982 p17). Chassis number given in Autosort 7 Oct 1982. Used by Brundle from Silverstone 31 May onwards after damage to 294 at Dijon. Sold to Ronnie Grant, 1983 and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Tommy Byrne): Sold new 9 Apr 1981 to Murray Taylor Racing. Used as spare car by Raul Boesel (see Autosport 16 Apr 1981 p8), became regular race car by mid season, replacing chassis 216. Retained 1981 and used by Tommy Byrne in early season in preference to new 1982 model, chassis 282. Autosport 11 Mar 1982 says that Byrne uses Taylor's older Ralt at the first round at Silverstone. Byrne went back to this car, rebuilt on a new tub, at Brands 11 Jul 1982.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Enrique Mansilla): Sold to West Surrey Racing for Enrique Mansilla. Badly damaged in testing at Goodwood in late February, rebuilt in time for first race of 1982 season, but Mansilla then preferred the older WSR car until Silverstone 31 May. Used by Senna to win his first F3 race at Thruxton at the end of the season. For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68.
- Ralt RT3/81  (David Sears): Sold to Murray Taylor Racing 21 Jan 1981. Initially Raul Boesel's race car, then later used by Tim Lee-Davey (British GP support race) and Tommy Byrne. For sale Autosport 4 Feb 1982 p61 MTR offer 81 RT3 'as driven by Boesel, Byrne and Lee-Davey'. Sold to Peter Argetsinger (Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p5 says ex Boesel; Motoring News says ex-Lee Davey, so the older 1981 MTR car). Also rented to David Sears.
- Ralt RT3/81  (James Weaver): Sold to Glenn Bosch for 1981, to be run by Wimhurst. Bosch then injured in RTA and Bleekemolen used the car. Team became Barron Racing for 1982, running the car for Cor Euser and Tim Davies. Sold to Mick Cook Racing for Martin Longmore (Autosport 5 Aug 1982 p31 'ex Barron') then to EJR late 1982 as hire car, being used by Mike Blanchet at Silverstone 3 Oct 1982, and used by Weaver in late season Euro rounds.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Bengt Trägårdh): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 as new chassis for Petit to use in French series. Then run for Bengt Tragardh (Autosport 14 Oct 1982). Run by DPR for Johnny Dumfries in 1983 (Autosport 'ex Petit/Tragardh').
- Ralt RT3/81  (Juan-Carlos Abella): Sold to Neil Trundle 7 Apr 1981. Most probably therefore the car used by Thierry Tassin in 1981, as Trundle's other 1981 car (chassis 222) appears from the first round with Claus Schinkel driving. Sold to Galvani GRO team for Carlos Abella to use in 1982, run by Mick Cook. (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38 'ex-Tassin').
- Ralt RT3/81  (Mario Hytten): Sold to Neil Trundle 20 Feb 1981 and used by Claus Schinkel in the British series. Retained early 1982 and driven by Luis Schafer (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 'ex Schinkel'), then sold to DB Racing for Mario Hytten when a 1982 spec car arrived.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Henri Toivönen): Sold to Eddie Jordan, 17 Feb 1982, initially for Fernando Macedo. Taken over by Phil Kempe at Silverstone 31 May. Raced by David Leslie at Cadwell when Kempe had glandular fever. Weaver finally got to drive the car at Oulton 7 Aug, then used by Paul Bishop a week later.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Leo Andersson): Sold to Eddie Jordan 7 Aug 1980 and used by him in latter part of 1980 season. Sold to Terry Gray for 1981 season (Autosport 15 Jan 1981) but only lightly used. For sale Autosport 30 Apr 1981 p61. Sold to Dave Price for Fred Krab to run in Euro series, debut Zandvoort round. For sale by DPR 'new tub in Aug' Autosport 14 Jan 1982 p62. Sold to Phil Dowsett to run in 1982 UK series (Autosport 4 Mar 1982 p38; Motorig News 4 Mar 1982 p3 'ex DPR Krab/Tragardh'); sold late season to Leo Andersson (Autosport 28 Oct 1982 p15).
- Ralt RT3/81  (Martin Wood): Sold to Enrique Benamo 15 Apr 1981 and run by Rushen Green Racing throughout the season. Taken by Benamo to Docking Spitzley for 1982 and subsequently rented to Roy Steele when Benamo ran out of money. Sold to Martin Wood in Sep 1982 (Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6). Retained by Wood 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1983 p37).
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tim Lee-Davey): Sold to Tim Lee-Davey 23 Feb 1982 and run by Christal Racing for early part of 1982 series. From Silverstone 31 May, run independently. When Lee-Davey went to Murray Taylor Racing the car went with him and was used by other MTR drivers, including Mike Rosen at Brands 11 Jul and Davy Jones at Brands 15 Aug. Retained by Lee-Davey for 1983.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Gerry Amato): Sold to Project Four for Stefan Johansson 15 Aug 1980. Used to win 1980 championship. Sold to West Surrey Racing for Jonathan Palmer, 1981. Won 1981 championship. Retained by WSR and used by Enrique Mansilla in early 1982, then leased to Osamu Nakako [Motoring News 15 Jul 1982 p15). For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68 '1981 champ winning car' to Gerry Amato Autosport 18 Nov 1982 p13 'ex Johansson, Palmer'.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Dave Scott): Sold to Mint Engineering for Dave Scott in early July 1982. To Carlton Tingling for 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1982 p37) and retained 1984.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.