Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Thruxton, 13 Mar 1983
|1||Ayrton Senna||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#1 West Surrey Racing
|2||Martin Brundle||Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#2 Eddie Jordan Racing
|3||Mario Hytten||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
#5 Axxess Racing Team (see note 1)
|4||David Leslie||Magnum 833 - Toyota 2T-G Robinson
|5||Johnny Dumfries||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
#6 Associated Motoracing (see note 2)
|6||Tim Lee-Davey||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G JQF
David Luff Racing (see note 3)
|7||Tommy Grunnah||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing (see note 4)
|8||Allen Berg||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Trundle Racing (see note 5)
|9||Martin Wood||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Pine City Racing (see note 6)
|10||Bill Burley||March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Robinson
Tarry Racing with Johnson & Bailey Ltd
(see note 7)
|R||Eric Lang||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham
Murray Taylor Racing
|R||Calvin Fish||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham
#4 Team BP/David Price Racing
|12||Puncture and accident damage|
|R||Davy Jones||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham
#3 Murray Taylor Racing
|R||Gerry Amato||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Gerry Amato Racing (see note 8)
|DNS||Carlton Tingling||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
(see note 9)
|Did not start
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Ayrton Senna||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.13.46|
|2||Martin Brundle||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.13.99|
|3||Davy Jones||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham||1.14.50|
|4||Mario Hytten||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.14.59|
|5||Calvin Fish||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham||1.14.87|
|6||Tim Lee-Davey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G JQF||1.14.93|
|7||Johnny Dumfries||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.15.00|
|8||David Leslie||(F3) 2-litre Magnum 833 - Toyota 2T-G Robinson||1.15.32|
|9||Carlton Tingling *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.16.89|
|10||Allen Berg||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.17.19|
|11||Eric Lang||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham||1.17.38|
|12||Bill Burley||(F3) 2-litre March 813  - Toyota 2T-G Robinson||1.17.65|
|13||Tommy Grunnah||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.18.00|
|14||Gerry Amato||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.19.66|
|15||Martin Wood||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.23.09|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/82  (Mario Hytten): Sold to Murray Taylor Racing 26 Feb 1982 but not debuted until Snetterton 2 May, driven by Tommy Byrne. Taken over by Lee-Davey at Brands 11 Jul. Rented to Dave Coyne for Oulton 26 Sep.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Johnny Dumfries): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 as new chassis for Petit to use in French series. Then run for Bengt Tragardh (Autosport 14 Oct 1982). Run by DPR for Johnny Dumfries in 1983 (Autosport 'ex Petit/Tragardh').
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tim Lee-Davey): Sold to Tim Lee-Davey 23 Feb 1982 and run by Christal Racing for early part of 1982 series. From Silverstone 31 May, run independently. When Lee-Davey went to Murray Taylor Racing the car went with him and was used by other MTR drivers, including Mike Rosen at Brands 11 Jul and Davy Jones at Brands 15 Aug. Retained by Lee-Davey for 1983.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Tommy Grunnah): Sold to Eddie Jordan 22 Feb 1981 and used throughout 1981, mainly by David Sears. Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4 advises that Jordan's 81 spec Ralt will be driven in 1982 by James Weaver. (A new 82 spec car - chassis 293 - had been purchased for Fernando Macedo to drive.) Used to win Donington Euro round 4 Apr 1982. Retained as spare car early 1983 and driven by Tommy Grunnah at first British round.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Allen Berg): Sold to Neil Trundle 24 Mar 1982. Used by Luis Schaffer from Thruxton 12 Apr, replacing his 81 spec chassis 222. Later used by Kees Nierop when Schaffer ran out of money. Probably the car run by Trundle for Allen Berg in 1983.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Martin Wood): Sold to Enrique Benamo 15 Apr 1981 and run by Rushen Green Racing throughout the season. Taken by Benamo to Docking Spitzley for 1982 and subsequently rented to Roy Steele when Benamo ran out of money. Sold to Martin Wood in Sep 1982 (Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6). Retained by Wood 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1983 p37).
- March 813  (Bill Burley): A works car for Toshio Suzuki, completed 27 Feb 1981. Sold to Tarry Racing for Ian Shaw, described as 'ex Suzuki' AS 6 May 1982 then to Phil Dowsett ('ex Suzuki' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6).
- Ralt RT3/80  (Gerry Amato): Sold to Project Four for Stefan Johansson 15 Aug 1980. Used to win 1980 championship. Sold to West Surrey Racing for Jonathan Palmer, 1981. Won 1981 championship. Retained by WSR and used by Enrique Mansilla in early 1982, then leased to Osamu Nakako [Motoring News 15 Jul 1982 p15). For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68 '1981 champ winning car' to Gerry Amato Autosport 18 Nov 1982 p13 'ex Johansson, Palmer'.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Carlton Tingling): Sold to Mint Engineering for Dave Scott in early July 1982. To Carlton Tingling for 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1982 p37) and retained 1984.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.