Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Silverstone, 2 Oct 1983
|1||Martin Brundle||Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing
|2||Ayrton Senna||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
West Surrey Racing
|3||Davy Jones||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Nicholson
Murray Taylor Racing
|4||Calvin Fish||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham
|5||Allen Berg||Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing
|6||David Leslie||Magnum 833 - Toyota 2T-G Robinson
|7||Mario Hytten||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Axxess Racing Team
|8||Juan-Carlos Abella||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|9||Paul Jackson||Sparton SE420  - VW Nicholson
|10||Mike Blanchet||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
Tarry Racing with Johnson & Bailey Ltd
(see note 1)
|11||Tim Lee-Davey||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G JQF
David Luff Racing (see note 2)
|12||Tony Trevor||Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
(see note 3)
|13||Carlton Tingling||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
(see note 4)
|14||Ronnie Grant||Ralt RT3/82  - VW
(see note 5)
|15||Eric Lang||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Nicholson
Murray Taylor Racing
|16||Johnny Dumfries||Ralt RT3/83 - VW Brabham
|17||Gregg Atkinson||March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Hallmark Chasing (see note 6)
|R||Martin Donnelly||Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|R||David Hunt||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|R||Steve Bradley||Argo JM8X - Toyota 2T-G Anglia
The Facey Group/Elsenham Sand Quarries
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Davy Jones||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Nicholson||1.29.16|
|2||Martin Brundle||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.29.69|
|3||Allen Berg||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.30.01|
|4||Ayrton Senna||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.30.62|
|5||David Leslie||(F3) 2-litre Magnum 833 - Toyota 2T-G Robinson||1.32.04|
|6||Mario Hytten||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.32.42|
|7||Martin Donnelly||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.32.66|
|8||Calvin Fish||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham||1.33.37|
|9||Juan-Carlos Abella||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.34.05|
|10||David Hunt||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.34.17|
|11||Tony Trevor||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.34.17|
|12||Tim Lee-Davey||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - Toyota 2T-G JQF||1.36.46|
|13||Eric Lang||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Nicholson||1.36.98|
|14||Paul Jackson||(F3) 2-litre Sparton SE420  - VW Nicholson||1.37.58|
|15||Johnny Dumfries||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83 - VW Brabham||1.37.73|
|16||Carlton Tingling||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.38.94|
|17||Mike Blanchet||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.39.34|
|18||Ronnie Grant||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW||1.40.90|
|19||Steve Bradley||(F3) 2-litre Argo JM8X - Toyota 2T-G Anglia||1.42.25|
|20||Gregg Atkinson||(F3) 2-litre March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.42.72|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/81  (Mike Blanchet): Sold new 9 Apr 1981 to Murray Taylor Racing. Used as spare car by Raul Boesel (see Autosport 16 Apr 1981 p8), became regular race car by mid season, replacing chassis 216. Retained 1981 and used by Tommy Byrne in early season in preference to new 1982 model, chassis 282. Autosport 11 Mar 1982 says that Byrne uses Taylor's older Ralt at the first round at Silverstone. Byrne went back to this car, rebuilt on a new tub, at Brands 11 Jul 1982.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tim Lee-Davey): Sold to Tim Lee-Davey 23 Feb 1982 and run by Christal Racing for early part of 1982 series. From Silverstone 31 May, run independently. When Lee-Davey went to Murray Taylor Racing the car went with him and was used by other MTR drivers, including Mike Rosen at Brands 11 Jul and Davy Jones at Brands 15 Aug. Retained by Lee-Davey for 1983.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Tony Trevor): Sold to Dave Scott 16 Jun 1981 and used by him in the latter part of the 1981 season. Used in first part of 1982 (1981 spec car with 82 front suspension Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4). Sold to Mick Cook Racing ('ex-Scott 82 spec' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6) and run as rental car.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Carlton Tingling): Sold to Mint Engineering for Dave Scott in early July 1982. To Carlton Tingling for 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1982 p37) and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Ronnie Grant): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 and debuted by Jean-Louis Schlesser at Monaco (Autosport 3 Jun 1982 p17). Chassis number given in Autosort 7 Oct 1982. Used by Brundle from Silverstone 31 May onwards after damage to 294 at Dijon. Sold to Ronnie Grant, 1983 and retained 1984.
- March 793 [783-5] (Gregg Atkinson): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Daniel Herregods, 19 January 1978, colour yellow with tub 78M25. To Rob Wilson in 1979 to replace his tiring Ralt RT1 and updated to 1979 specification. Autosport notes ‘ex Herregods’ and chassis number noted by F1R at Snetterton in August 1979. Sold to Gerry Amato for 1980 season, Autosport notes his car as ‘ex Wilson 1979’. Retained by Amato until 1982 then sold to Greg and Tim Atkinson.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.