Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Donington Park, 20 May 1984
|1||Johnny Dumfries||Ralt RT3/83 [455A] - VW
#1 Dave Price Racing
|2||Allen Berg||Ralt RT3/84  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#3 Eddie Jordan Racing
|3||Russell Spence||Ralt RT3/84  - VW
#2 Intersport/Mint Engineering
|4||Tony Trevor||Ralt RT3/83  - VW
|5||Ross Cheever||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G
#10 Valour Racing
|6||Mario Hytten||Ralt RT3/84  - VW
#4 Murray Taylor Racing
|7||David Hunt||Ralt RT3/84  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
#8 Eddie Jordan Racing
|8||Andrew Gilbert-Scott||Ralt RT3/84  - VW Nicholson
#5 Murray Taylor - RfB
|9||Rob Wilson||Ralt RT3/84  - Toyota 2T-G
|10||Gary Evans||Ralt RT3/84  - Toyota 2T-G
#9 West Surrey Racing
|11||Eric Lang||Ralt RT3/84  - Toyota 2T-G
#28 Docking Spitzley
|12||Carlos Abella||Ralt RT3/84  - Toyota 2T-G
#6 West Surrey Racing
|13||Richard Morgan||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G
Tarry Racing (see note 1)
|14||Gray Hedley||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G
|15||Carlton Tingling||Ralt RT3/82  - VW
(see note 2)
|16||Brian Dunning||Ralt RT3/84  - Toyota 2T-G
#19 Richard Trott
|17||"Anton Soubriquet"||Ralt RT3/82 - Toyota 2T-G
|18||Godfrey Hall||Lynx GH2/82 - Toyota 2T-G
|19||John Bullock||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G
(see note 3)
|20||Steve Bradley||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G
(see note 4)
|DNS||Gregg Atkinson||March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G
(see note 5)
|Did not start
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Johnny Dumfries||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83 [455A] - VW||1.09.28|
|2||Russell Spence||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/84  - VW||1.09.32|
|3||Tony Trevor||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW||1.09.44|
|4||Allen Berg||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/84  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.09.52|
|5||Carlos Abella||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/84  - Toyota 2T-G||1.09.77|
|6||Andrew Gilbert-Scott||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/84  - VW Nicholson||1.09.96|
|7||Mario Hytten||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/84  - VW||1.09.99|
|8||Ross Cheever||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G||1.10.00|
|9||Gary Evans||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/84  - Toyota 2T-G||1.10.05|
|10||Eric Lang||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/84  - Toyota 2T-G||1.10.08|
|11||David Hunt||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/84  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.10.15|
|12||Rob Wilson||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/84  - Toyota 2T-G||1.10.37|
|13||Richard Morgan||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G||1.11.60|
|14||Carlton Tingling||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW||1.12.27|
|15||Brian Dunning||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/84  - Toyota 2T-G||1.12.92|
|16||Gray Hedley||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G||1.12.98|
|17||Steve Bradley||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G||1.13.14|
|18||"Anton Soubriquet"||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82 - Toyota 2T-G||1.15.09|
|19||Godfrey Hall||(F3) 2-litre Lynx GH2/82 - Toyota 2T-G||1.15.16|
|20||John Bullock||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G||1.15.26|
|21||Gregg Atkinson *||(F3) 2-litre March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G||1.24.80|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/81  (Richard Morgan): Sold new 9 Apr 1981 to Murray Taylor Racing. Used as spare car by Raul Boesel (see Autosport 16 Apr 1981 p8), became regular race car by mid season, replacing chassis 216. Retained 1981 and used by Tommy Byrne in early season in preference to new 1982 model, chassis 282. Autosport 11 Mar 1982 says that Byrne uses Taylor's older Ralt at the first round at Silverstone. Byrne went back to this car, rebuilt on a new tub, at Brands 11 Jul 1982.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Carlton Tingling): Sold to Mint Engineering for Dave Scott in early July 1982. To Carlton Tingling for 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1982 p37) and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/81  (John Bullock): Sold to Dave Scott 16 Jun 1981 and used by him in the latter part of the 1981 season. Used in first part of 1982 (1981 spec car with 82 front suspension Autosport 25 Feb 1982 p4). Sold to Mick Cook Racing ('ex-Scott 82 spec' Autosport 23 Sep 1982 p6) and run as rental car.
- Ralt RT3/81  (Steve Bradley): Sold to Hope Scott Garage and used by David Leslie in the 1981 season. Sold to Mike Reed (Ivens Lumar Racing) Autosport 3 Sep 1981 p3. Ivens Lumar ran Alfonso Toledano in the car in early 1981 (Autosport 21 Jan 1982 p6). Rebuilt on an 82 spec tub after accident at R3 (Motoring News 1 Apr 1982 p20; the car is described as 'new' by Autosport when it reappears at Thruxton on 12 Apr). Then run for Roberto Moreno from Mallory Park 25 Apr.
- March 793 [783-5] (Gregg Atkinson): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Daniel Herregods, 19 January 1978, colour yellow with tub 78M25. To Rob Wilson in 1979 to replace his tiring Ralt RT1 and updated to 1979 specification. Autosport notes ‘ex Herregods’ and chassis number noted by F1R at Snetterton in August 1979. Sold to Gerry Amato for 1980 season, Autosport notes his car as ‘ex Wilson 1979’. Retained by Amato until 1982 then sold to Greg and Tim Atkinson.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.