Players (Canadian) Formula B Series Race
Edmonton, 20 Jun 1971
|1||Jacques Couture||Lotus 69 [71/69.1.FB] - Ford twin cam Hart
#84 Jim Russell Racing Team
|2||David McConnell||Lotus 69 [71/69.3.FB] - Ford twin cam Hart
#86 Jim Russell Racing Team
|3||Craig Hill||Lotus 69 [71/69.5.FB] - Ford twin cam Hart
#1 Fother-hill Ltd/Castrol
|4||Derek Johnson||March 71BM - Ford twin cam Hart
#93 (see note 1)
|5||Bruce Jensen||Chevron B17b [17B.70.04?] - Ford twin cam
|6||Ian Coristine||March 71BM  - Ford twin cam Hart
#50 Delta Racing Developments (see note 2)
|7||Craig Fisher||Chevron B17b - Ford twin cam
|8||Roy Folland||Brabham BT35 - Ford twin cam
|9||Max Nerrière||Lotus 59 ("69B") [59-F2/XB-41] - Ford twin cam
|10||Dave Morris||Hawke DL6B - Ford twin cam
|11||Maurice McCaig||Brabham BT35  - Ford twin cam
|12||Louis Germain||(FF) 1.6-litre Lotus 61M - Ford
|R||Al Justason||Brabham BT23F  - Ford twin cam
#32 (see note 3)
|R||Max Mizejewski||Lola T240 - Ford twin cam
#27 (see note 4)
|R||Bill Middleton||Brabham BT21C - Ford twin cam
#31 (see note 5)
|R||Tom Moore||Brabham EM-2 - Ford twin cam
#23 Astro Shield
|R||Dave Robertson||Hawke DL2R - Ford twin cam
|R||Gary Magwood||Hawke DL6B  - Ford twin cam
|R||Brian Robertson||Brabham BT35  - Ford twin cam Hart
#5 Fred Opert Racing
|R||Ron Householder||Brabham BT29  - Ford twin cam
#6 (see note 6)
|R||Barry Fox||Brabham BT29  - Ford twin cam
All cars are 1.6-litre FB unless noted.
|Qualifying information not available|
Notes on the cars:
- March 71BM (Derek Johnson): George Brocklehurst bought a March 71BM but preferred to race it only in minor events, leaving it to Derek Johnson in the bigger events. Brocklehurst's car was silver but it seems likely to have been the blue 71BM-5 shown in March records as having gone to a customer of Canadian March importer Gordie Dewar. Entered by Todco Racing Team as #93, the car was written off in Johnson's accident in the rain at Trois-Rivières in August when he wrapped it round a telephone pole.
- March 71BM  (Ian Coristine): Gordie Dewar was appointed March importer into Canada for 1971 and his first purchase, chassis 71BM/1, went to Delta Racing Developments for Ian Coristine to race in the Players FB series. Coristine finished the season fifth in the red #50 March but crashed in practice for the final race, at Circuit Ste-Croix in October. The car went to Reg Scullion for 1972 and he started the season racing in Nationals in Texas before returning to Canada for the Players season. Run by Ecurie Canada and Tom Greatorex, Scullion ended the Canadian season in ninth place but then returned to the US to finish second in the SCCA Run-Offs. He retained the car for 1973 as a Scullion-Donolo Racing entry. Subsequent history unknown.
- Brabham BT23F  (Al Justason): Sold to Bill Gubelmann (Oyster Bay, NY) and fitted with a Vegantune Ford twin cam engine for SCCA 'Pro' and NEDiv Formula B. Raced through 1968 and retained for a couple of races in 1969 as Gubelmann's BT29 was late arriving. Sold to Al Justason (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) who used it in both the Canadian and US Pro series in 1970 and again in the Canadian FB series in 1971. Sold to Michael Houselander who appeared at two Canadian national events in 1972, Later sold to ‘Dino Delousis’ who fitted a turbocharged 2-litre Ford Pinto engine for libre events but found the car to be undrivable and stored it from about 1974 to 2004 when sold to Dave Darrow (Mississauga, Ontario) and fully restored. Retained until 2007 when sold via race-cars.com to Murray Bryden (Melbourne, Australia). Sold to David Kloster (Kinglake, Victoria) September 2011.
- Lola T240 (Max Mizejewski): Max Mizejewski raced a Lola T240 in two early races of the Canadian FB series, at Edmonton (as #27) and at Mont-Tremblant (as #97). Nothing more known.
- Brabham BT21C (Bill Middleton): Bill Middleton (Temple City, CA, an eastern suburb of Los Angeles) raced a black Brabham BT21C in Formula B in 1971. He acquired a new Lola T240 in late August 1971. Nothing more known
- Brabham BT29  (Ron Householder): This early chassis number would have raced in 1969 but its first owner is still unknown. Working backwards from its modern ownership, it would have been the black-and-yellow BT29 raced by Allan Lader (Gresham, OR), until Lader got a new 1970-spec BT29 in July. The older car was sold to Ron Householder (Portland, OR) and raced by him in SCCA, CASC and ICSCC events in 1971, 1972 and 1973. Householder sold it to Paul Anderson (Huntington Beach, CA) who entered it for Pete Halsmer in SCCA events in 1974. Then to Bill Hill (Olympia, WA) in March 1975. Hill drove this car, mainly in ICSCC events, for many seasons. Retained by Hill until his death. It was sold by his widow to David Irwin (Evergreen, CO) in December 2017.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The 1971-1973 Canadian Formula B race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Canadian Motorsport Bulletin, results sheets where available and from information drawn from Canadian newspapers.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.