IMSA Formula Atlantic Championship Race
Laguna Seca, 3 Oct 1976
|1||Price Cobb||March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
Doug Shierson Racing
|2||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||Chevron B34 [34.76.25] - Ford BDA Hart
#7 Fred Opert Racing
|3||Bobby Brown||March 76B  - Ford BDA Cicale
#79 Carroll Smith-Audiovox (see note 1)
|4||Don Breidenbach||March 76B  - Ford BDA
|5||Dan Marvin||Lola T360 [HU4] - Ford BDA
Norman Racing Group
|6||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||March 76B - Ford BDA Hart
Performance Marketing (see note 2)
|7||Kevin Cogan||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon
|8||Tom Klausler||Lola T460 [HU19] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#63 Wilbur Bunce Racing
|9||Tim Coconis||Lola T460 [HU17] - Ford BDA Cosworth
|10||Jon Norman||Lotus 69 [71/69.2.FB] - Ford BDA
(see note 3)
|11||Gordon Strom||Chevron B29 - Ford BDA
(see note 4)
|12||Bob Kolowich||March 75B [R1] - Ford BDA
|13||Steve Jizmagian||Lola T460 [HU3] - Ford BDA
|14||Bobby Rahal||March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA McCoy
#9 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 5)
|15||Butch Owsley||Chevron B34 [34.76.34] - Ford BDA Hart
|16||Phil Currey||Lola T460 [HU7] - Ford BDA Nicholson
|17||Dwight Zillig||Rondel M1  - Ford BDA
(see note 6)
|18||Tim Cooper||March 76B [73B?] - Ford BDA CRW
Bunce Racing (see note 7)
|19||Tom Crowther||March 75B  - Ford BDA
Norman Racing Group (see note 8)
|20||Tom Gloy||Tui BH2  - Ford BDA Nicholson
|21||Phil Threshie||Lola T360 - Ford BDA
|DNS||Hugh Mooney||March 71BM - Ford BDA Hart
|Did not start|
|DNS||Jim Mullins||March 75B - Ford BDA
||Did not start|
|DNS||Dale Lang||March 76B [8?] - Ford BDA
(see note 9)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Warren "Bud" Pauge||Brabham BT38 [‘33’] - Ford BDA
||Did not start|
All cars are 1.6-litre FB unless noted.
|1||Tom Gloy||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Tui BH2  - Ford BDA Nicholson|
|2||Bobby Rahal||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [4?] - Ford BDA McCoy|
|3||Bobby Brown||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Cicale|
|4||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.25] - Ford BDA Hart|
|5||Price Cobb||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop|
|6||Dan Marvin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU4] - Ford BDA|
|7||Don Breidenbach||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA|
|8||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B - Ford BDA Hart|
|9||Kevin Cogan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon|
|10||Jon Norman||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lotus 69 [71/69.2.FB] - Ford BDA|
|11||Tom Klausler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU19] - Ford BDA Nicholson|
|12||Tim Cooper||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [73B?] - Ford BDA CRW|
|13||Tim Coconis||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU17] - Ford BDA Cosworth|
|14||Tom Crowther||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 75B  - Ford BDA|
|15||Gordon Strom||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 - Ford BDA|
|16||Phil Threshie||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 - Ford BDA|
|17||Bob Kolowich||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 75B [R1] - Ford BDA|
|18||Hugh Mooney *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 71BM - Ford BDA Hart|
|19||Phil Currey||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU7] - Ford BDA Nicholson|
|20||Steve Jizmagian||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU3] - Ford BDA|
|21||Butch Owsley||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.34] - Ford BDA Hart|
|22||Dwight Zillig||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Rondel M1  - Ford BDA|
|23||Jim Mullins *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 75B - Ford BDA|
|24||Dale Lang *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [8?] - Ford BDA|
|25||Warren "Bud" Pauge *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT38 [‘33’] - Ford BDA|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B  (Bobby Brown): New to Bobby Brown (Hicksville, NY) to replace a Chevron B34 and raced in Pro events and in SCCA NEDiv FB in 1976, winning the 1976 Run-Offs. Brown won an early-season SCCA National at Charlotte in April 1977 before moving into Can-Am with a March 77S. The 76B was advertised in November 1977.
- March 76B (Hugh "Wink" Bancroft): Hugh "Wink" Bancroft (Costa Mesa, CA) had a Fred Opert Racing Chevron B34 for 1976 but wrecked the car in practice at Trois-Rivières in September and borrowed a Shierson March 76B for that race and for the two remaining IMSA races. The identity of the 76B is unknown as several of Shierson's usual drivers were absent from Trois-Rivières so their cars would have been available.
- Lotus 69 [71/69.2.FB] (Jon Norman): William Monson (Kent, WA) bought a new Lotus 69 for 1971 but after only a few races suffered a major accident at Laguna Seca in June 1971 when he clipped the bridge and was in hospital with significant injuries. He retired from racing and sold the wrecked Lotus to Gary Gove (Tacoma, WA). Gove's racing partner Pete Lovely was then in the process of fitting a F1 DFV engine to his 1970 F2 Lotus 69 and Gove was able to use the F2 rear end to repair Monson's car. The result was a very quick car and in 1972 Gove raced it in ICSCC and NW Regional events plus at least one National and the Westwood round of the Canadian FB series. In 1973, Gove won the NorPac title in the Lotus and then sold it to Jon Norman (Oakland, CA) who won the 1975 NorPac FB title and was second in 1976. Norman also took the car to the Run-Ofrfs in 1975, finishing a remarkable fourth, and raced it in several Pro Formula Atlantic races. Norman raced it at least once in SCCA events in 1977 before replacing it with a much newer March 76B.
- Chevron B29 (Gordon Strom): Gordon Strom (Santa Cruz, CA/Sunnyvale, CA) ran a Brabham BT35 in west coast SCCA racing from 1972 to 1975 when he moved up to a nearly-new Chevron B29. The car was yellow with red top bodywork and ran as #9. Strom raced this in 1976 and 1977 until an accident at Laguna Seca in June 1977 in which he suffered head injuries from which he later died. The identity of the Chevron is not known.
- March 76B [4?] (Bobby Rahal): Doug Shierson Racing ran an orange #9 March 76B in 1976 for Bobby Rahal (Glen Ellyn, IL). There were four orange March 76Bs according to March records but only one was built as part of the first batch of cars, 76B-4, strongly suggesting this was Rahal's car. The subsequent history of this car is not known until it was advertised in 1985 as "ex-Villeneuve".
- Rondel M1  (Dwight Zillig): Probably the prototype F2 car as this chassis number not noted at any F2 race. If so, taken to Hockenheim 8 April 1973 as team spare and Pau as spare for Schenken. Sold via Fred Opert to David Ralston for SCCA FB in 1974 the to Bobby Rahal late 1974. Subsequently to Tim Fortner and Butch Owsley (San Jose, CA) for 1975 and 1976, then to Dwight Zillig (Novato, CA) for 1977. Sold to Jim Vawter in 1978 and used until 1980 at least.
- March 76B [73B?] (Tim Cooper): Roy Folland (Montréal, Quebec) had a purple #6 March 73B for 1973 but crashed at Trois-Rivières in Sept and after being repaired, the 73B was sold to Ecurie Canada for guest driver Eppie Wietzes to race at the Watkins Glen Pro FB race five weeks later. Then sold to Tim Cooper (Kansas City, MO) who raced the "ex-Ecurie Canada" 73B at a Willow Springs Regional in December 1973. Raced extensively in SCCA racing early in 1974 and then in the Pro F/Atlantic series, prepared by Charlie Williams Racing. Probably then the "75B" that Cooper raced as part of Doug Shierson Racing in 1975; maybe the 75B/76B that Wilbur Bunce ran for him in 1976, and possibly the self-entered 77B he had in early 1977. Might then be the ex-Cooper March "75B" later entered by Ted Titmus in 1978 and 1979. The latter years of this history become increasingly uncertain and we're very keen to talk to Tim Cooper to clarify.
- March 75B  (Tom Crowther): Tom Crowther (Novato, CA/Kentfield, CA) raced a March in Formula B/Atlantic from 1974 to 1976 and this is believed to have been the same March 722 throughout. Like Bancroft, Crowther ran as #12. At first the car had Falconer bodywork and could be the car driven by Hugh Bancroft in 1972 and 1973. By late 1975, the car had acquired 75B bodywork and was entered as such at the 1975 Run-Offs and at a single Pro appearance in late 1976. It was then sold via Pierre Phillips to Nick Lingren and was driven by Sans Thompson at Trois-Rivières in 1978.
- March 76B [8?] (Dale Lang): Doug Shierson Racing ran a red March 76B for Dale Lang (Wilton, CT) in 1976. The only red 76B in March build records was 76B-8, suggesting this was Lang's car. Lang retained this car for 1977 and then sold it to Ralph Manaker (Erieville, NY) who raced it in 1978.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
1970 US FB results were compiled from Autoweek reports by Jim Thurman; 1971 results were transcribed from Autoweek by Allen Brown and 1972 results were compiled by Chris Townsend from an SCCA results publication.
The US Formula B series did not continue in 1973 but a race was organised in Caracas in March 1973 that fits here probably better than anywhere else, as do the occasional SCCA F/Atlantic and FB races in 1974 and 1975.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.