New Zealand Gold Star Race
Baypark Raceway, 26 Mar 1978
|1||Steve Millen||Chevron B42 [42-78-01] - Ford BDA Hart
|2||Andrew Miedecke||March 763 ["M763-14"] - Ford BDA Dewhurst
|3||Ross Stone||Cuda JR3 - Ford BDA Nicholson
|4||Ken Smith||March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#11 (see note 1)
|5||Richard Melville||March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#10 (see note 2)
|6||Eric Morgan||Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA
#15 (see note 3)
|7||Dave McMillan||March 77B  - Ford BDA
#4 Giltrap Racing (see note 4)
|8||Robbie Francevic||Modus M3 [022(B)/054] - Ford BDA Nicholson
|9||Norm Lankshear||Chevron B34 [34-76-19] - Ford BDA Hart
#16 (see note 5)
|DNP||David Oxton||Chevron B34 [34-76-OX] - Ford BDA Hart
||Did not take part in official practice
|DNA||Reg Cook||March 742 ["U1"] - Ford BDA
||Did not arrive|
|DNA||Hugh Owen||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Nicholson
||Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||Andrew Miedecke||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 763 ["M763-14"] - Ford BDA Dewhurst||0.54.4|
|2||Steve Millen||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B42 [42-78-01] - Ford BDA Hart||0.54.4|
|3||Dave McMillan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA||0.54.6|
|4||Ross Stone||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cuda JR3 - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.54.8|
|5||Richard Melville||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon||0.54.9|
|6||Ken Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon||0.54.9|
|7||Robbie Francevic||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Modus M3 [022(B)/054] - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.55.0|
|8||Norm Lankshear||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34-76-19] - Ford BDA Hart||0.55.6|
|9||Eric Morgan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA||0.55.8|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B  (Ken Smith): Sold via Doug Shierson to Ken Smith (New Zealand) and debuts in early 1977 New Zealand races. Retained to 1981 then sold to Warren Binning. Retruend to Smith in 1982 and retained to at least 2003.
- March 76B  (Richard Melville): Chassis number observed on Richard Melville’s car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5 and described as ex Brambilla. Brambilla's 1976 Trois Rivières car according to Motoring News 10 Feb 77, so a Doug Shierson Racing team car in 1976. As Shierson ran up to four drivers, plus a spare car, at some American and Canadian races, we cannot yet identify users in North America. [However, it does seem we can eliminate Cobb, using 76B . Chassis number observed on Melville’s car by McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1978, and published NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4. Dave McKinney advises sold to Unipart for Tiff Needell to use in 1979 Macau GP. Observed on Sonny Rajah’s car by Dave McKinney at Malaysian GP, 1980 and published NZMA 16 Jun 80 p15, so presumably sold to Rajah.
- Chevron B29 [29-75-30] (Eric Morgan): Chassis number observed by Dave McKinney on Dave Oxton's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described by Motoring News as "the ex Redman Tasman car" 10 Feb 77 p7. This indicates it is the car taken by Brian Redman to the 1975-6 Tasman series, with a 2.0 BMW engine, which was itself a works car from the European F2 series of 1975, raced by Hans Binder at Vallelunga. [Confirmed in Chevron’s build record, though MN reports describe this car as chassis number 31, which does not appear in the B29 build record.] The car stayed in New Zealand and was purchased by Oxton for the Peter Stuyvesant series. Oxton sold the car to Eric Morgan for the 1977-78 Union Travel Gold Star Series and subsequent races in New Zealand. Chassis number noted on Morgan’s car by McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978, and published NZMA 20 Jan 78 p3. Retained by Morgan to end 1981, then sold to Chris Read.
- March 77B  (Dave McMillan): Entered by March for Danny Sullivan in the 1978 New Zealand International series. Sold to Colin Giltrap and entered by him for Dave McMillan at Baypark Mar 1978 then for Larry Perkins in the 1978/79 series. Raced by Desiré Wilson in the Jan/Feb 1980 series then John Smith in Jan 1981. Sold to Ray Hanger (Australia) and used in the 1981 AF1 and Pacific series. Also raced at Shah Alam in October 1981.
- Chevron B34 [34-76-19] (Norm Lankshear): Observed on Keijo Rosberg's spare car by Dave McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p6. Described by Fred Opert to McKinney as the car used by Juan Cochesa in North America, NZMA 28 Jan 77 p4. This suggests that the car is also the Opert team car run by Tom Bagley in the three races in the USA at the start of 1976 [Road Atlanta; Laguna Seca; Ontario MS]. A/S report of the Formula Atlantic race at Edmonton, 16 May 76, describes Cochesa's car there as ‘ex Bagley’. NZMA reports that the car is sold to Norm Lankshear immediately after the Peter Stuyvesant series. Chassis number noted by McKinney on Lankshear's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978. [NZMA 20 Jan 78 p3.] Retained by Lankshear through to the end of 1981. Then sold to Bryan Hartley and used 1982 – 83.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors on the Atlas F1 and 10 Tenths forums.
If you can help with any additions, clarifications or corrections, please respond via the threads shown on the Atlantics page.