Sandown Park International
Sandown Park, 12 Mar 1962
|1||Jack Brabham||(libre) 2.7-litre Cooper T55 [F1-10-61] - Climax FPF 4
|60||1h 10m 08.6s
|2||John Surtees||(libre) 2.7-litre Cooper T53 ['P2'] - Climax FPF 4
#3 Yeoman Credit RT
|60||1h 10m 09.4s
|3||Bruce McLaren||(libre) 2.7-litre Cooper T53 [F2-8-60] - Climax FPF 4
||60||1h 10m 12.7s
|4||Chuck Daigh||(libre) 3.9-litre Scarab RE - Buick V8
|5||Stirling Moss||(libre) 2.7-litre Lotus 21  - Climax FPF 4
#7 R R C Walker RT
|6||Jim Clark||(libre) 2.5-litre Lotus 21  - Climax FPF 4
|7||Bill Patterson||(libre) 2.5-litre Cooper Mk IV 'T51' ["F2-2-57" or "F2-5-57"] - Climax FPF 4
#9 (see note 1)
|8||Lex Davison||(libre) 3-litre Aston Martin DBR4/250  - DBR1/300 6
|9||Angus Hyslop||(libre) 2.5-litre Cooper T53 ["F2-13-58"] - Climax FPF 4
|10||Doug Whiteford||(libre) 2.4-litre Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-15-59] - Climax FPF 4
G W Patterson (see note 2)
|11||Pat Hoare||(libre) 3-litre Ferrari Dino 246/60  - Testa Rossa V12
|R||Austin Miller||(libre) 4.6-litre Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-20-59] - Chevrolet Corvette 283 ci V8
(see note 3)
|R||John Roxburgh||(libre) 2-litre Cooper Mk III 'T45' [F2-21-58] - Climax FPF 4
|R||Bryan Thomson||(libre) 2.5-litre Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-14-59] - Climax s/c 4
Ecurie Shepparton (see note 4)
|R||John Youl||(libre) 2.2-litre Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-9-60] - Climax FPF 4
(see note 5)
|R||Ron Flockhart||(libre) 2.5-litre Lotus 18  - Climax FPF 4
|R||Roy Salvadori||(libre) 2.5-litre Cooper T53 [F2-17-60?] - Climax FPF 4
|R||Bib Stillwell||(libre) 2.5-litre Cooper T53 [F1-5-61] - Climax FPF 4
|DNS||Tom Wilson||(libre) 2.2-litre Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-18-59] - Climax FPF 4
Ecurie Shepparton (see note 6)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Vaughan Lucas||(libre) 1.5-litre Cooper
||Did not start|
|DNS||Jim Clark||(libre) 2.5-litre Cooper T53 [F1-7-61] - Climax FPF 4
R R C Walker RT
|Did not start|
|DNA||Arnold Glass||(libre) 2.5-litre BRM P48  s4
||Did not arrive|
|1||Jack Brabham||(libre) 2.7-litre Cooper T55 [F1-10-61] - Climax FPF 4||1m 08.1s|
|2||John Surtees||(libre) 2.7-litre Cooper T53 ['P2'] - Climax FPF 4||1m 08.9s|
|3||Stirling Moss||(libre) 2.7-litre Lotus 21  - Climax FPF 4||1m 09.4s|
|4||Bruce McLaren||(libre) 2.7-litre Cooper T53 [F2-8-60] - Climax FPF 4||1m 09.4s|
|-||Chuck Daigh||(libre) 3.9-litre Scarab RE - Buick V8||1m 11.9s|
|-||Bib Stillwell||(libre) 2.5-litre Cooper T53 [F1-5-61] - Climax FPF 4||1m 11.9s|
Notes on the cars:
- Cooper Mk IV 'T51' ["F2-2-57" or "F2-5-57"] (Bill Patterson): In December 1960, Bill Patterson acquired a full 2.5-litre Cooper T51 in England and had it shipped to Australia. This "new" car has been described by Patterson and by later owner Murray Richards in a number of ways, including "ex-works", "ex-Brabham" and "ex-Salvadori". It was said to have been bought from a private team and given the dispersal of the 1959 works T51s, that suggests either Tommy Atkins team or Fred Tuck's. The Salvadori reference would indicate Atkins' team so this car may be the late 1959 works car that was then acquired by Atkins for Salvadori to race in F1 in 1960. Whatever its origins, Patterson debuted the car at Warwick Farm on 29 Jan 1961 and used it to win the 1961 Gold Star. He retained it as a show car after replacing it in 1963 and finally sold it in 1988 to Murray Richards for historic racing. It was sold to Rod Jolley in England in the mid-1990s. It was still owned by Jolley in 2007.
- Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-15-59] (Doug Whiteford): Delivered to B Patterson less engine according to the Cooper Register. First raced by Bill Patterson at Port Wakefield in October 1960 where it was fitted with a 2-litre Climax engine. Raced by Patterson until crashed at Lakeside in 1961, after which Patterson raced an "ex-works" Cooper T51 that he had acquired earlier in the season. F2-15-59 was repaired and kept as a spare car being raced by Doug Whiteford on occasions. In 1962, the car was sold to Englishman John Brindley who raced it at Calder in April or May 1962. Brindley raced the car in minor events during 1962 until suffering a massive accident in a minor race at Sandown Park on 16 Sep 1962. The Autosportsman report on the race said "The car must be very nearly a complete write-off". The fate of the wreck is unknown but it is widely believed that the car somehow returned to Patterson and was the damaged car that Murray Richards acquired from Patterson in 1988. Richards started to restore the car but this was incomplete when he died in early 2000. The car was still with Richards' sons in 2010. If the Richards brothers' car is the Patterson/Brindley car, its return from Brindley to Patterson remains unexplained.
- Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-20-59] (Austin Miller): Delivered to Stan Jones (Australia) according to the Cooper Register but with a note that it was transferred to R Stillwell.
- Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-14-59] (Bryan Thomson): Delivered to Victa Consolidated Industries (Australia) according to the Cooper Register.
- Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-9-60] (John Youl): Delivered to J Youl (Australia) according to the Cooper Register.
- Cooper Mk IV 'T51' [F2-18-59] (Tom Wilson): Delivered to Norman Hamilton (Australia) in July according to the Cooper Register.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
These results have been compiled by David McKinney from a wide rangle of sources, including his own magazine articles and books. The 1959-1963 results are complete but for the 1957 and 1958 seasons, the only cars currently shown in the results are the F1, Intercontinental and F2 cars that feature elsewhere on this site plus the major Australian specials.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.