Guards F5000 Championship round
Mallory Park, 26 May 1969
|1||Peter Gethin||McLaren M10A [M10A-1] - Chevrolet V8
#7 Church Farm Racing
|2||David Hobbs||Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet Traco V8
#15 Team Surtees
|3||Mike Walker||Lola T142 [SL142/35] - Chevrolet V8
#4 McKechnie Racing
|4||Andrea de Adamich||Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet Traco V8
#16 Team Surtees
|5||Robin Widdows||Lola T142 [SL142/20] - Chevrolet V8
#2 Sid Taylor
|6||Willie Forbes||Lola T142 [SL142/31] - Chevrolet V8
|7||Robs Lamplough||(F2) 1.6-litre Lotus 41C - Ford twin cam
|8||Steve Thompson||(F2) 1.6-litre Lola T60 [SL60/5] - Ford twin cam
#89 (see note 1)
|9||Keith Holland||Lola T142 [SL142/36] - Chevrolet V8
#63 Alan Fraser
|10||Dave Berry||(F2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT16 [F2-19-65] - Ford twin cam
#91 (see note 2)
|11||Doug Hardwick||Lola T142 [SL142/22] - Chevrolet V8
|12||Brian Cullen||(F2) 1.6-litre Lola T60 [SL60/4] - Ford twin cam
#92 (see note 3)
|13||Carlos Avallone||Lola T140 [SL140/16] - Chevrolet V8
|14||Chris Summers||Lotus 24  - Chevrolet V8
|15||Ian Mitchell||(F1) 2-litre BRM P261  V8
|DNS||Peter Westbury||(F2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT30  - Cosworth FVA
FIRST (see note 4)
|Did not start
|DNS||Colin Crabbe||(F5000) 4.7-litre BRM P83  - Ford V8
|Did not start
|DNS||Ulf Norinder||Lola T142 [SL142/37] - Chevrolet V8
#17 Sportscars Switzerland
|Did not start
|DNS||Mike Hailwood||Lola T142 [SL142/40] - Chevrolet V8
#21 Paul Hawkins Racing
|Did not start
|DNS||Mike Coombe||(F5000) 4.7-litre Cooper T66 [F1-2-63] - Ford Shelby Cobra 289ci V8
#36 (see note 5)
|Did not start
|DNP||Bob Waters||(F5000) 4.7-litre Conchord - Ford V8
#47 (see note 6)
|Did not take part in official practice
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A [M10A-1] - Chevrolet V8||0.43.8|
|2||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet Traco V8||0.44.2|
|3||Andrea de Adamich||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet Traco V8||0.44.6|
|4||Mike Walker||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/35] - Chevrolet V8||0.45.6|
|5||Peter Westbury *||(F2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT30  - Cosworth FVA||0.45.4|
|6||Robin Widdows||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/20] - Chevrolet V8||0.46.0|
|7||Willie Forbes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/31] - Chevrolet V8||0.47.0|
|8||Robs Lamplough||(F2) 1.6-litre Lotus 41C - Ford twin cam||0.47.0|
|9||Steve Thompson||(F2) 1.6-litre Lola T60 [SL60/5] - Ford twin cam||0.47.2|
|11||Dave Berry||(F2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT16 [F2-19-65] - Ford twin cam||0.47.8|
|12||Keith Holland||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/36] - Chevrolet V8||0.47.8|
|13||Ian Mitchell||(F1) 2-litre BRM P261  - BRM V8||0.48.0|
|14||Brian Cullen||(F2) 1.6-litre Lola T60 [SL60/4] - Ford twin cam|
|15||Doug Hardwick||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/22] - Chevrolet V8|
|16||Carlos Avallone||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T140 [SL140/16] - Chevrolet V8|
|17||Chris Summers||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 24  - Chevrolet V8||0.50.8|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T60 [SL60/5] (Steve Thompson): Lola records show this as a red F3 car going to Frank Lythgoe. Then in F2 trim in libre in 1966 raced by Steve Thompson and retained by Thompson for F3 in 1967 and then libre and F2 with a 1.6-litre Ford twin-cam in 1968, 1969 and 1970. Hugely successful in libre racing in 1969. Then to Chris Featherstone to replace his original T60 which had been wrecked. With Peter Denty in 2003.
- Brabham BT16 [F2-19-65] (Dave Berry): Jack Brabham's works SCA-engined BT16, used during the 1965 mid-season and also raced by Chris Irwin when the Honda project was revived. To Robs Lamplough (London) for 1966 and retained for 1967. To John Watson (Craigavad, County Down, Northern Ireland) for Irish racing in 1967 and fitted with a Lotus-Ford twin-cam. Retained for 1968. Sold to Dave Berry (Colwyn Bay, Wales) for 1969 and used in UK libre; then fitted with an Oldsmobile V8 for 1970, 1971 and 1972. Last seen in October 1972.
- Lola T60 [SL60/4] (Brian Cullen): First appears with Eric Offenstadt late 1965 and raced in F2 with BRM power in 1966. Bought by Robs Lamplough (London) in 1967 and sold on to Brian Cullen for Irish 1600cc class racing in 1968 and 1969. Then to Trevor Scarrat for Monoposto in 1970.
- Brabham BT30  (Peter Westbury): New to Peter Westbury and used for a full season of European F2 in 1969, winning at Neubiberg in October. Sold to John Wingfield and used in libre and in selected F2 events in 1970 and 1971. Then to Jim Charnock (Liverpool) and used extensively in Formule Libre through to the end of 1975 but then unknown until advertised by Brian Classic in 1984. Sold to Chris Mann (UK) 1985 and then sold via Frank Sytner to Ray Delaney (Melbourne, Australia) in 1987. Raced by Delaney in east coast Australian historic events the next six years at Calder Raceway (Vic), Sandown Park (Vic), Oran Park (NSW), Amaroo Park (NSW), Winton Raceway (Vic) and the support races at the Australian Grand Prix in Adelaide (SA) in 1988 and 1989. Sold to Dick James in 1993. To Mike Carmody 2003 and sold by him to Tom Lee October (Puyallup, WA) 2005. Restored for 2007 to its original livery.
- Cooper T66 [F1-2-63] (Mike Coombe): New to Rob Walker and entered for Jo Bonnier in F1 in 1963, replacing an older ex-works T60. Retained for 1964 but soon replaced by a Brabham BT11 and used as a spare car with a BRM V8 engine, It's engine and gearbox were then transferred to Walker's ex-works Brabham BT7 and the car was sold to Bill Bradley and then on the John Axon. It was fitted with a 4727cc Ford Cobra V8 and raced in libre very successfully in 1965 and 1966, interrupted only by a heavy accident at Oulton Park in 1965. Sold to Jim Charnock (Liverpool) for 1967 and raced regularly in libre for another two seasons. To John Scott Davies briefly in early 1969 then to Mike Coombe and John Dean who shared it in F5000 and libre in 1969. Sold to Alan Mountain who entered it in libre and hillclimb events for John Lambert in 1971. The engine was transferred into a Leda F5000 chassis and the rest of the car was sold to collector John McCartney. Subsequently via Jim Gleave, Howden Ganley, Hugh Edgely, Peter Bloore, Rod Tolhurst and John Harper to Anthony Mayman in early 1986. Then to Sid Hoole in 1992 and fully restored. Raced in historic events by Hoole for over 20 years.
- Conchord (Bob Waters): Bob Waters decided to move into F5000 for 1969 with a new car build for him by Chas Beattie. Beattie had formerly run The Chequered Flag's F3 team and built the Gemini/DAF F3 cars for 1967. He set up Chas Beattie Projects for 1969 and built Formula Fords under his own name, and the spaceframe F5000 chassis for Waters that was christened the Conchord. The car was built up using componentry from Waters' old ex-Team Lotus, ex-Alan Eccles Lotus 40 sports car (chassis 40/L/1). According to Mike Kettlewell, it used "an ex-Jackie Oliver Mustang engine"; this would have been a 4.7-litre (289ci) Ford V8. The car was an unmitigated disaster and Waters withdrew after the Snetterton race in September. He was entered for a BOC Formula Libre Championship race at Snetterton again in April 1970 but is not mentioned in reports. The car was advertised from Kent in August 1970 but not seen again until it passed through Roger Hurst's hands in the early 1980s. In 2003, Hurst mentioned that "the Conchord was built using the running gear from a Lotus 30" and that "as far as I can remember it reverted to a Lotus 30". At some point the car was bought by Peter Denty, along with the Lotus 40 chassis and other bits. These were used to recreate the Lotus 40, so the Conchord effectively ceased to exist.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.