Guards F5000 Championship round
Mondello Park, 13 Jul 1969
|1||David Hobbs||Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet Traco V8
#15 T. S. Research & Development Ltd.
|2||Mike Hailwood||Lola T142 [SL142/40] - Chevrolet V8
#3 Epstein Cuthbert Racing
|3||Alan Rollinson||(F2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT30  - Cosworth FVA
#11 Irish Racing Cars [Mick Mooney]
(see note 1)
|4||Keith Holland||Lola T142 [SL142/36] - Chevrolet V8
#63 A. B. Fraser Racing Team [Alan Fraser]
|5||Brian Nelson||(F2) 1.6-litre Lola T60 [SL60/2] - Ford twin cam
#2 (see note 2)
|6||John Smith||(F2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT16 [BT14 FL-5-65] - Ford
#6 (see note 3)
|7||Willie Forbes||Lola T142 [SL142/31] - Chevrolet V8
|8||Ken Fildes||(F2) 1.6-litre Lotus 35 [35-F-8] - Ford twin cam
#8 L. M. Duffy [Luke Duffy]
|9||Richard Heeley||(F2) 1.6-litre Lotus 22 [22-J-19] - Ford twin cam
#5 (see note 4)
|10||Brian Cullen||(F2) 1.6-litre Lola T60 [SL60/4] - Ford twin cam
#33 (see note 5)
|11||Mike Walker||Lola T142 [SL142/35] - Chevrolet V8
#4 McKechnie Racing Team
|12||Chris Summers||Lotus 24  - Chevrolet V8
|13||Andrea de Adamich||Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet Traco V8
#14 T. S. Research & Development Ltd.
|14||Ulf Norinder||Lola T142 [SL142/37] - Chevrolet V8
#17 Ulf Norinder Racing
|15||Robs Lamplough||Lotus 43  - Ford V8
|16||Tommy Reid||(F2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT23  - Cosworth FVA
#10 Irish Racing Cars [Mick Mooney]
(see note 6)
|DNQ||Damien Magee||(F2) 1.6-litre Cooper FJ Mk 3A 'T67' - Ford twin cam
#7 L.M. Duffy [Luke Duffy]
|Did not qualify|
|DNQ||Frank Keane||(F2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT18 [F2-18-66] - Ford twin cam
#16 Kevin Murphy
|Did not qualify|
|DNQ||John Watson||(F2) 1.6-litre Lola T100 [SL100/6] - Ford twin cam
|Did not qualify|
|DNQ||Colin Holohan||(F2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT14 [FL-8-65] - Ford twin cam
#26 (see note 7)
|Did not qualify|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet Traco V8||0.57.4|
|2||Andrea de Adamich||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet Traco V8||0.57.8|
|3||Keith Holland||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/36] - Chevrolet V8||0.59.2|
|4||Alan Rollinson||(F2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT30  - Cosworth FVA||0.59.6|
|5||Tommy Reid||(F2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT23  - Cosworth FVA||1.00.2|
|6||Ulf Norinder||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/37] - Chevrolet V8||1.00.4|
|7||Robs Lamplough||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 43  - Ford V8||1.00.4|
|8||Ken Fildes||(F2) 1.6-litre Lotus 35 [35-F-8] - Ford twin cam||1.00.8|
|9||Willie Forbes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/31] - Chevrolet V8||1.00.8|
|10||John Smith||(F2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT16 [BT14 FL-5-65] - Ford||1.01.2|
|11||Brian Nelson||(F2) 1.6-litre Lola T60 [SL60/2] - Ford twin cam||1.01.4|
|12||Brian Cullen||(F2) 1.6-litre Lola T60 [SL60/4] - Ford twin cam||1.02.2|
|13||Chris Summers||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 24  - Chevrolet V8||1.06.6|
|14||Richard Heeley||(F2) 1.6-litre Lotus 22 [22-J-19] - Ford twin cam||1.08.2|
|15||Mike Walker||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/35] - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|16||Mike Hailwood||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/40] - Chevrolet V8||No time|
Notes on the cars:
- Brabham BT30  (Alan Rollinson): Bought by Mick Mooney's Irish Racing Cars for Alan Rollinson to race in F2 in 1969. Retained for 1970 but raced only at Phoenix Park as it still had 1969-style aluminium fuel tanks which weren't allowed in 1970. Raced at Bogotá early 1971 when Rollinson won the second race. Then to John Smith (Ballymena, County Antrim, Northern Ireland) for Irish 1600cc racing, winning first time out at Mondello Park in April 1971. To Ken Walker (Harrogate, North Yorkshire) for 1972 and raced in northern English libre racing. Advertised by Adrian Bethall of Northern Racing Spares (Sheffield, South Yorkshire) in January 1973. Subsequent history unknown. At some point in the early 1980s, a BT30 was reputedly sold by dealer Jon Blackburn to Otford Group's Jim Wallis (Edenbridge, Kent) who restored it and raced it in HSCC events from 1982 to 1985. Its HSCC papers issued in 1984 identify it as BT30-6. It then passed via Bobby Howlings to Tony Thompson in 1986 but he did not like the car and had sold it to Australian Chris Farrell by 1987. Retained in Farrell's collection for many years. Fully restored in 2006 and raced in Tasman Revival events.
- Lola T60 [SL60/2] (Brian Nelson): A MRP team car in 1975 and 1966, driven by a variety of drivers. Probably the ex-Gardner car advertised by MRP in April 1967. Bought less engine and gearbox from David Baker at MRP by Brian Nelson (probably in Oct 1967) for Irish 1600cc class racing in 1968 and 1969 using a Ford twin cam. Sold to D&A Shells (Stratford, London) late 1969, and advertised less engine and gearbox in February 1970. History then unknown, but New Zealand historian David McKinney reports that Keith Laney bought a T60 in the UK and raced it in minor events in New Zealand around 1972. Laney sold the Lola to fellow Kiwi Harry Holt in 1976, and he took it to Australia where it was sold to Matt Carroll in 1978. Then to Don Black (Galston, NSW) 1989, and raced until sold to Robert Tweedie in 2000. Sold to Roger Fowler in the UK in May 2013.
- Brabham BT16 [BT14 FL-5-65] (John Smith): New to Malcolm Templeton (Ballymena, County Antrim, Northern Ireland) for Irish libre racing, winning 14 libre races over the next three seasons, more than any other Irish driver. Crashed heavily at Dunboyne in July 1966 and rebuilt on a new frame, thought to have been a BT16 frame. Templeton retired after 1967 and the BT14/BT16 was taken over by John Smith, also from Ballymena, and raced for a further two seasons. Sold to Ed Irvine (Conlig, County Down), the father of the future GP driver of the same name, in early 1971 and raced in Formula 4 with a 997cc engine. Then to Gerry Gaw (Bangor, County Down) who raced it in 1972 in the 1600cc class of the Clubmans Specials category with 997cc then 1089cc engines. Then sold to someone in nearby Newtownards who never raced it and later emigrated to Australia, possibly taking the car with him. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lotus 22 [22-J-19] (Richard Heeley): Alan Putt's article in the in the April 2006 edition of the Golden Gate Lotus Club newsletter (http://www.gglotus.org/ggchap2/06cr1-12/06aprilw.pdf) identifies 22-J-19 as the car bought by Mick Mooney's Irish Racing Cars for Tommy Reid to drive in FJ races and later in libre. The article says that it then went to Richie Heeley and was used in local events with a 1500cc pushrod Ford, then with a supercharger and finally with 1650cc Ford when it appeared in the Mondello Park F5000 race in 1969. It was later raced by Tom Osbourne and Declan Reardon. It then went to Simon Thomas in 1985, then Jonathan Bradbourne in England, Chris Ball in Canada and then in Europe from 1987 to 1991, George Dudley (UK), David Stevenson (UK) and then Patrick Moran in California by 2005.
- Lola T60 [SL60/4] (Brian Cullen): First appears with Eric Offenstadt late 1965 and raced in F2 with BRM power in 1966. Bought by Robs Lamplough (London) in 1967 and sold on to Brian Cullen for Irish 1600cc class racing in 1968 and 1969. Then sold to the US, where it ws advertised by Sport Car Service (Vandalla, Ohio) in May 1970. Likely to be the T60 advertised by R.H. Kulaas (Fairborn, Ohio) five months later. Bought by Gerry Hudson (Galva, Kansas) in 1970 and raced in SCCA Formula B and then Formula C over the next few years. Still with Hudson in 2013. Subsequent history unknown.
- Brabham BT23  (Tommy Reid): Entered by Motor Racing Developments for Jack Brabham in F2 in 1967 until crashed at Rouen in July. Repaired and sold to Mick Mooney's Irish Racing Cars in July, fitted with a 1600cc Ford twin cam and raced by Tommy Reid (Tandragee, County Armagh, Northern Ireland) in Irish 1600cc Formula events for the rest of 1967 and through 1968. Refitted with a Cosworth FVA for 1969 and dominated the Irish season. To Walter Kinnear (Gilford, County Down, Northern Ireland) with twin cam power for 1970 but crashed heavily at Mondello Park in August. Rebuilt on a new BT23C frame and raced in 1971 and 1972 by Nelson Todd (Lisburn, Northern Ireland). To Maurice Stirling for 1973 and converted to Irish Clubmans for 1974. Very probably the Piper twin cam car advertised by W.J. Riley (Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire) in 1974 but then unknown until for sale by Northdown Racing (Ripley, Surrey) in 1982. Then to Bob Wilson (Glasgow) and sold via dealer Jon Bradburn to Andrew Fellowes in late 1984. To Joe Fairley (Belfast, N. Ireland) 1986. To John Moulds (Alderley Edge, Cheshire) 1997. Sold to Steve Padgett (Australia) 2013.
- Brabham BT14 [FL-8-65] (Colin Holohan): New to Robert Ashcroft Racing and fitted with a 1500cc Ford twin cam engine so that it could be entered as a F1 car for John Cardwell at the Sunday Mirror Trophy at Goodwood in April 1965. Thereafter raced for Ashcroft by Derek Bennett in Formule Libre events, winning at least eight races that season. Sold to Jim Charnock (Liverpool) and raced in libre until he sold it to Davey Powell (Wales) in August 1966. Powell raced the car virtually every weekend in 1967, appearing in at least 30 different meetings during the course of the season. Sold to Colin Holohan (Shankill, County Dublin, Ireland) in September 1968 for Irish 1600cc racing in 1968 and 1969. Subsequent history unknown.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.