Marlboro British Formula 3 Championship Race
Thruxton, 23 Oct 1983
|1||Ayrton Senna||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
#2 West Surrey Racing
|2||Davy Jones||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Nicholson
Murray Taylor Racing
|3||Martin Brundle||Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing
|4||Mario Hytten||Sparton SE420  - VW Nicholson
Axxess Racing Team
|5||Calvin Fish||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham
|6||Eric Lang||Ralt RT3/83  - VW Nicholson
Murray Taylor Racing
|7||David Hunt||Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
|8||Mike Blanchet||Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson
Tarry Racing with Johnson & Bailey Ltd
(see note 1)
|9||Carlton Tingling||Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham
(see note 2)
|R||Gregg Atkinson||March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Hallmark Chasing (see note 3)
|R||Ronnie Grant||Ralt RT3/82  - VW
(see note 4)
|DNSP||Allen Berg||Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Eddie Jordan Racing
|Did not start (retired on parade lap)|
|DNQ||Gerry Amato||Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor
Gerry Amato Racing (see note 5)
|Did not qualify|
All cars are 2-litre F3 unless noted.
|1||Ayrton Senna||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.13.36|
|2||Davy Jones||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Nicholson||1.13.63|
|3||Martin Brundle||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.13.88|
|4||Allen Berg *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83 - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.14.04|
|5||Mario Hytten||(F3) 2-litre Sparton SE420  - VW Nicholson||1.14.56|
|6||Calvin Fish||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Brabham||1.14.63|
|7||Eric Lang||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - VW Nicholson||1.14.81|
|8||David Hunt||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/83  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.15.64|
|9||Mike Blanchet||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/81  - Toyota 2T-G Nicholson||1.16.21|
|10||Carlton Tingling||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW Brabham||1.16.40|
|11||Gregg Atkinson||(F3) 2-litre March 793 [783-5] - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||1.19.30|
|12||Ronnie Grant||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/82  - VW||1.20.87|
|13||Gerry Amato *||(F3) 2-litre Ralt RT3/80  - Toyota 2T-G Novamotor||No time|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT3/81  (Mike Blanchet): Sold new 9 Apr 1981 to Murray Taylor Racing. Used as spare car by Raul Boesel (see Autosport 16 Apr 1981 p8), became regular race car by mid season, replacing chassis 216. Retained 1981 and used by Tommy Byrne in early season in preference to new 1982 model, chassis 282. Autosport 11 Mar 1982 says that Byrne uses Taylor's older Ralt at the first round at Silverstone. Byrne went back to this car, rebuilt on a new tub, at Brands 11 Jul 1982.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Carlton Tingling): Sold to Mint Engineering for Dave Scott in early July 1982. To Carlton Tingling for 1983 (Autosport 3 Mar 1982 p37) and retained 1984.
- March 793 [783-5] (Gregg Atkinson): Shown in March records for 1978 as delivered to Daniel Herregods, 19 January 1978, colour yellow with tub 78M25. To Rob Wilson in 1979 to replace his tiring Ralt RT1 and updated to 1979 specification. Autosport notes ‘ex Herregods’ and chassis number noted by F1R at Snetterton in August 1979. Sold to Gerry Amato for 1980 season, Autosport notes his car as ‘ex Wilson 1979’. Retained by Amato until 1982 then sold to Greg and Tim Atkinson.
- Ralt RT3/82  (Ronnie Grant): Sold to Dave Price Racing in May 1982 and debuted by Jean-Louis Schlesser at Monaco (Autosport 3 Jun 1982 p17). Chassis number given in Autosort 7 Oct 1982. Used by Brundle from Silverstone 31 May onwards after damage to 294 at Dijon. Sold to Ronnie Grant, 1983 and retained 1984.
- Ralt RT3/80  (Gerry Amato): Sold to Project Four for Stefan Johansson 15 Aug 1980. Used to win 1980 championship. Sold to West Surrey Racing for Jonathan Palmer, 1981. Won 1981 championship. Retained by WSR and used by Enrique Mansilla in early 1982, then leased to Osamu Nakako [Motoring News 15 Jul 1982 p15). For sale Autosport 14 Oct 1982 p68 '1981 champ winning car' to Gerry Amato Autosport 18 Nov 1982 p13 'ex Johansson, Palmer'.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
These British Formula 3 results have been compiled by Chris Townsend using the main British magazines Autosport and Motoring News but also the US magazine On Track which carried surprisingly good coverage of the British series.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.