Players (Canadian) Formula Atlantic Series Race
Westwood, 26 May 1974
|1||Allan Lader||Chevron B27 [27-74-07] - Ford BDA Hart
#75 George Sabin (see note 1)
|56||$2500 [plus $1000 trade]|
|2||Bobby Brown||March 74B  - Ford BDA Smith
#79 B&B Racing Enterprises
|3||Gilles Villeneuve||March 74B  - Ford BDA Greatorex
#13 Ecurie Canada
|4||David Loring||Merlyn Mk 21 [320.FB.71] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#18 Charlie Williams Racing
|5||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||Chevron B27 [27-74-05] - Ford BDA Hart
#6 Fred Opert Racing (see note 2)
|6||Allen Karlberg||Brabham BT29  - Ford BDA
#17 (see note 3)
|7||Syd Demovsky||March 74B  - Ford BDA Greatorex
#33 Greatorex Racing Ltd
|8||Al Justason||Rondel M1 - Ford BDA
|9||Tim Cooper||March 73B - Ford BDA
#19 Charlie Williams Racing (see note 4)
|10||James King||Chevron B27 [27-74-04] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#22 Douglas Shierson Racing (see note 5)
|11||Joe Grimaldi||March 74B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
#27 Race Shop
|12||Peter Ferguson||Chevron B20 [72-7] - Ford twin cam
|13||Peter W. Broeker||Chevron B17B - Ford twin cam
#21 Stebro Racing
|14||Dave Morris||March 74B  - Ford BDA
#74 The Motor Racing Co. of Canada Ltd
|R||Craig Hill||Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA Hart
#4 Fother-Hill Ltd
|23||Broken wing - spun|| |
|R||Bertil Roos||Chevron B27 [27-74-06] - Ford BDA Hart
#5 Fred Opert Racing (see note 6)
|R||Chris O'Brien||Rondel M1  - Ford BDA
#12 (see note 7)
|R||Dennis Kreuger||March 71BM - Ford twin cam
|10||Collision with Morris|| |
|R||Len Campbell||March 73B  - Ford BDA
#20 Team Campbell Racing
|R||Bruce Jensen||March 74B  - Ford BDA Hart
#41 Bruce Jensen Racing
|R||Bill Brack||Lotus 59 - Ford BDA Hart
|R||Chip Mead||Chevron B27 [27-74-03] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#23 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 8)
|UNK||Seb Barone||Rondel M1 - Ford BDA
|UNK||Mauro Lanaro||March 71BM  - Ford twin cam
|DNQ||Richard Doran||GRD B72 [019-F2] - Ford twin cam
|Did not qualify|
|DNQ||Norm Joy||March 71BM - Ford twin cam
||Did not qualify|
|DNQ||Ron Householder||Brabham BT40  - Ford twin cam
|Did not qualify|
|DNQ||Bill Eagles||Brabham BT40 - Ford twin cam
#46 Tex Made Racing
|Did not qualify|
|UNKE||Charles "Chuck" Hansen||March 722 - Ford twin cam
#75 (see note 9)
|On entry list|
|On entry list|
|UNKE||Richard Paul||March 74B - Ford BDA
#48 (car not identified)
|On entry list|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-05] - Ford BDA Hart||1.18.470|
|2||Allan Lader||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-07] - Ford BDA Hart||1.18.500|
|3||Bobby Brown||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B  - Ford BDA Smith||1.18.611|
|4||Bertil Roos||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-06] - Ford BDA Hart||1.18.657|
|24||Peter Ferguson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B20 [72-7] - Ford twin cam||1.25.110|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B27 [27-74-07] (Allan Lader): Chevron build record says sold via Opert to George Sabin. Used by Alan Lader as well in 1974. Sold to Bob Fisher for 1975. Sold to Jim Van Horn of San Francisco and then a strong candidate for the car of Californian Mike Morris in SCCA races in 1977 though this may have been the ex Hayes car (27.75.06) from 1975-76. Either this or the Hayes car likely to be the B27 for sale by Crosslé Cars Pacific in On Track 22 April 1982 p37. For sale on www.fantasyjunction.com in 2005.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-05] (Hugh "Wink" Bancroft): An Opert team car, used by Hugh "Wink" Bancroft in 1974. Possibly also used by Roos and James Crawley in SCCA before the Canadian season started. The car was owned by Bancroft, who according to Formula and Sports Car retained it unraced in 1975, and then wheeled it out again for a few SCCA So Pac division races in early 1976. (Riverside SCCA Feb uses 'the same B27 that he campaigned in 1974' Formula May 76 p26.) For sale in Autoweek Vol.26 no.19 May 76 p33. Possibly the Mike Morris car in 1977.
- Brabham BT29  (Allen Karlberg): The early history of this car is unknown but it is believed to be the blue-and-red Brabham BT29 entered by Bunny Ribbs (San Jose, CA) for Mike Eyerly in FB in 1971 (#63) and 1972 (#80). Jon Milledge also drove Ribbs car at Brainerd in Sep 1972. Ribbs, father of future Trans-Am star Willy T. Ribbs, advertised the car at the end of 1972. The next owner is unknown but the car was quickly on to Skip Jones who remembers buying it in San Francisco and that Ribbs had previously been involved. Jones raced the car in Regional events in 1973, winning the 1973 ICSCC Formula B championship, and then sold it to Allen Karlberg (Seattle, WA) who fitted a BDA for the 1974 season and raced it in SCCA Formula A and in Canadian Formula Atlantic. Jones believes that the car was sold and campaigned in eastern Canada with Kimberly Clark livery by Monique Proulx. Proulx drove Karlberg's March 712M in a Pro Atlantic race supporting the US GP at Watkins later that year so may have driven the older BT29 in local events.
- March 73B (Tim Cooper): Roy Folland (Montréal, Quebec) had a purple #6 March 73B for 1973 but crashed at Trois-Rivières in Sept and after being repaired, the 73B was sold to Ecurie Canada for guest driver Eppie Wietzes to race at the Watkins Glen Pro FB race five weeks later. Then sold to Tim Cooper (Kansas City, MO) who raced the "ex-Ecurie Canada" 73B at a Willow Springs Regional in Dec 1973. Raced extensively in SCCA racing early in 1974 and then in the Pro F/Atlantic series, prepared by Charlie Williams Racing. Probably then the "75B" that Cooper raced as part of Doug Shierson Racing in 1975; maybe the 75B/76B that Wilbur Bunce ran for him in 1976, and possibly the self-entered 77B he had in early 1977. Might then be the ex-Cooper March "75B" later entered by Ted Titmus in 1978 and 1979. The latter years of this history become less likely and we're very keen to talk to Tim Cooper.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-04] (James King): Chevron build record says sold via Opert to Doug Shierson Racing. According to Chevron the car used by James King at Mallory Park before being shipped to the USA. (King and Mead owned their own cars in the Shierson team.) Badly damaged by King at Mosport and rebuilt around a new tub. Formula Mar 75 p29 reports, 'King is trying to sell the B27 he drove in 1974 under Shierson's management'. (King still has the plate for this car.) Sold to Lloyd Callaway (Chicago) and used in 1975 early 1976 SCCA and some pro races. Callaway advises that the car was sold to Fred Opert in early 1976 in p/x for a new Chevron B34. A very strong candidate for the car of Tom Christ (Racine, WI) in 1976/77.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-06] (Bertil Roos): Chevron build record says an Opert team car, initially used in European F2 races by Bertil Roos. Also used in UK Atlantic races and then shipped to the US after the Hockenheim F2 race. Sold to Derek Cook, 1975. Interestingly, this car seems to have the bodywork run by Roos in European F2 in 1974. By 1976, when the B29 is sold to Rossiter, this B27 is the one car that Cook retains and he keeps it until at least 1977, using it in ShellSport G8 races.
- Rondel M1  (Chris O'Brien): Henri Pescarolo's main car in F2 in 1973; used also by Schenken at Pau, Kinnekulle Ring and Rouen. Sold via Fred Opert to Chris O'Brien for Canadian Formula Atlantic in 1974 then probably back via Fred Opert and eventually sold to Randy Zimmer as a source of spares for his Can Am car. Still with Zimmer in 2010.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-03] (Chip Mead): Chevron build record says sold via Opert to Doug Shierson Racing. According to Chevron the car used by Chip Mead at Mallory Park before being shipped to the USA. Sold to Keith Feldott for SCCA races in Cen Div in 1975 and retained by him to at least 1977.
- March 722 (Charles "Chuck" Hansen): Charles Hansen (Tenafly, NJ) appears on the Westwood entry list at the beginning of 1974 with a March 722 twin cam and on the July Mosport Park entry list with a March 742. When the car finally appears, at Sanair two weeks later, it is described as a March 74B but it would be safe to assume this was an earlier car kitted to the latest specificiation. Hansen crashed at Sanair, after which George Follmer runs this car at Trois-Rivières (CMB noting that it was the Hansen car).
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
North American Formula Atlantic race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Formula and On Track, information drawn from Canadian newspapers and results sheets where available.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.
Individual sources for this event
Vancouver Sun 27 May 1974, Chevron build records, March 74B build records, Loring's crew chief [J.Johnson], Championship points summary sheet [OMH] and CMB [OMH]