Players (Canadian) Formula Atlantic Series Race
Sanair, 14 Jul 1974
|1||Bill Brack||Lotus 59 - Ford BDA Hart
#1 STP Oil Treatment
|2||Bertil Roos||Chevron B27 [27-74-06] - Ford BDA Hart
#5 Fred Opert Racing (see note 1)
|3||Tom Klausler||Lola T360 [HU2] - Ford BDA Smith
#63 Traylor Engineering
|4||Charles T. Gibson||March 73B [71BM-15] - Ford BDA Hart
|5||Bobby Brown||Chevron B27 [27-74-18] - Ford BDA Smith
#79 B&B Racing Enterprises (see note 2)
|6||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||Chevron B27 [27-74-05] - Ford BDA Hart
#6 Fred Opert Racig (see note 3)
|7||Chip Mead||Chevron B27 [27-74-03] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#23 Douglas Shierson Racing (see note 4)
|8||James King||Chevron B27 [27-74-04] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#22 Douglas Shierson Racing (see note 5)
|9||David Loring||March 74B  - Ford BDA Greatorex
#13 Ecurie Canada
|10||Reg Scullion||Brabham BT38  - Ford twin cam Greatorex
|11||Al Justason||Rondel M1 - Ford BDA
|12||Mike Hall||Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA
#28 (see note 6)
|13||Seb Barone||March 74B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
#24 Race Shop
|14||Mauro Lanaro||March 71BM  - Ford twin cam
#35 (see note 7)
|15||Gilles Léger||March 74B - Ford BDA
|R||Bruce Jensen||March 74B  - Ford BDA Hart
#41 Bruce Jensen Racing
|R||Craig Hill||Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA
|R||Bill O'Connor||Lola T360 [HU3] - Ford BDA Smith
#62 Traylor Engineering
|R||Gary Magwood||March 73B - Ford BDA Hart
|R||Peter Ferguson||Chevron B20 [72-7] - Ford BDA
|Collision with Cree|
|R||Hugh Cree||Brabham BT35  - Ford BDA
|R||Fred Beyer||Brabham BT35 - Ford twin cam
|R||Frank Del Vecchio||March 73B - Ford BDA
|R||Ric Forest||March 73B  - Ford BDA Greatorex
|R||Charles "Chuck" Hansen||March 74B [722?] - Ford BDA
#55 Ecurie Canada (see note 8)
|R||Richard Paul||March 74B - Ford BDA
|Camshaft timing belt|
|UNK||Syd Demovsky||March 74B  - Ford BDA Greatorex
#33 Greatorex Racing Ltd
|UNK||Peter W. Broeker||Chevron B27 [27-74-17] - Ford BDA Hart
#21 (see note 9)
|UNK||Joe Shepherd||Chevron B20 [72-4] - Ford BDA Hart
|UNK||Roger Seacrist||Rondel M1  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#29 (see note 10)
|UNK||Ron Cohn||March 73B - Ford BDA
|DNQ||Bill Eagles||Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA
#46 Tex Made Racing
|Did not qualify|
||Did not qualify|
||Did not qualify|
||Did not qualify|
||Did not qualify|
|T||Bobby Brown||March 74B  - Ford BDA
|(Only used in practice)|
|DNA||Chris O'Brien||Rondel M1  - Ford BDA
(see note 11)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Bruce Jensen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B  - Ford BDA Hart||0.49.035|
|2||Bertil Roos||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-06] - Ford BDA Hart||0.49.216|
|3||Gary Magwood||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B - Ford BDA Hart||0.49.594|
|4||Bill Brack||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lotus 59 - Ford BDA Hart||0.49.603|
|5||Bill O'Connor||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU3] - Ford BDA Smith||0.49.681|
|6||Tom Klausler||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU2] - Ford BDA Smith||0.49.854|
|7||Charles T. Gibson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B [71BM-15] - Ford BDA Hart||0.50.067|
|8||Seb Barone||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B  - Ford BDA Race Shop||0.50.111|
|9||David Loring||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B  - Ford BDA Greatorex||0.50.156|
|10||Ric Forest||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B  - Ford BDA Greatorex||0.50.182|
|11||Bobby Brown||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-18] - Ford BDA Smith|
|12||Craig Hill||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA|
|13||Hugh "Wink" Bancroft||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-05] - Ford BDA Hart|
|16||Peter W. Broeker||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-17] - Ford BDA Hart|
|17||Syd Demovsky||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B  - Ford BDA Greatorex|
|18||Al Justason||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Rondel M1 - Ford BDA|
|19||Chip Mead||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-03] - Ford BDA Nicholson|
|20||Richard Paul||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B - Ford BDA|
|21||Ron Cohn||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B - Ford BDA|
|22||James King||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 [27-74-04] - Ford BDA Nicholson|
|23||Peter Ferguson||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B20 [72-7] - Ford BDA|
|24||Gilles Léger||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B - Ford BDA|
|25||Hugh Cree||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT35  - Ford BDA|
|26||Charles "Chuck" Hansen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 74B [722?] - Ford BDA|
|27||Roger Seacrist||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Rondel M1  - Ford BDA Nicholson|
|28||Reg Scullion||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT38  - Ford twin cam Greatorex||0.51.600|
|29||Mike Hall||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT40 - Ford BDA|
|30||Fred Beyer||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT35 - Ford twin cam|
|31||Mauro Lanaro||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 71BM  - Ford twin cam|
|32||Frank Del Vecchio||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 73B - Ford BDA|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B27 [27-74-06] (Bertil Roos): Chevron build record says an Opert team car, initially used in European F2 races by Bertil Roos. Also used in UK Atlantic races and then shipped to the US after the Hockenheim F2 race. Sold to Derek Cook, 1975. Interestingly, this car seems to have the bodywork run by Roos in European F2 in 1974. By 1976, when the B29 is sold to Rossiter, this B27 is the one car that Cook retains and he keeps it until at least 1977, using it in ShellSport G8 races.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-18] (Bobby Brown): Chevron build record says sold to Bobby Brown of B&B Racing Enterprises, June 1974. The car was badly damaged in an accident at Trois Rivieres in 1974. Brown says that the remains were returned to Chevron in p/x for two B29s in 1975. However, for sale by Brown AW 31 May and 7 June 1876 'not raced since complete rebuild at Chevron' which suggests that the car survived. This chassis number attributed to a B27 recently for sale by the Henry family and it seems as if they bought the car somewhere between 1977 and 1979, running it alongside their ex Brown Chevron B25 and ex Holmes B34. Run for Denny Sideri in FC in Cen Div SCCA in 1980.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-05] (Hugh "Wink" Bancroft): An Opert team car, used by Hugh "Wink" Bancroft in 1974. Possibly also used by Roos and James Crawley in SCCA before the Canadian season started. The car was owned by Bancroft, who according to Formula and Sports Car retained it unraced in 1975, and then wheeled it out again for a few SCCA So Pac division races in early 1976. (Riverside SCCA Feb uses 'the same B27 that he campaigned in 1974' Formula May 76 p26.) For sale in Autoweek Vol.26 no.19 May 76 p33. Possibly the Mike Morris car in 1977.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-03] (Chip Mead): Chevron build record says sold via Opert to Doug Shierson Racing. According to Chevron the car used by Chip Mead at Mallory Park before being shipped to the USA. Sold to Keith Feldott for SCCA races in Cen Div in 1975 and retained by him to at least 1977.
- Chevron B27 [27-74-04] (James King): Chevron build record says sold via Opert to Doug Shierson Racing. According to Chevron the car used by James King at Mallory Park before being shipped to the USA. (King and Mead owned their own cars in the Shierson team.) Badly damaged by King at Mosport and rebuilt around a new tub. Formula Mar 75 p29 reports, 'King is trying to sell the B27 he drove in 1974 under Shierson's management'. (King still has the plate for this car.) Sold to Lloyd Callaway (Chicago) and used in 1975 early 1976 SCCA and some pro races. Callaway advises that the car was sold to Fred Opert in early 1976 in p/x for a new Chevron B34. A very strong candidate for the car of Tom Christ (Racine, WI) in 1976/77.
- Brabham BT40 (Mike Hall): Mike Hall (Twin Lakes, WI) raced a brand new Brabham BT40 at the Road Race of Champions at Road Atlantic 25 Nov 1972, the first BT40 to race. Although this car may have been on loan from Fred Opert, it is assumed here that it was the same car he then raced in Formula B and Fomrula Atlantic in 1973 and 1974. He replaced it with a Lola T360 for 1975 and is believed to be the car then raced by John Elder (Rosemount, Minnesota) in SCCA Nationals in 1975. Hall had modified his car with a wide nose and a higher and fuller tail, and Elder's car showed the same modifications.
- March 71BM  (Mauro Lanaro): One of two red March 71BMs acquired by Wilson Southam for Canadian FB and believed to be the car raced by Southam. Southam's operation was bought by Ecurie Canada and its mechanic Tom Greatorex for 1972 and this is the car believed to have been updated to side-radiator 722 specification and rented by Ian Coristine that season. Coristine stayed with the team for 1972 but the car was put back to 71BM specification. Then to Mauro Lanaro for 1974 and retained for a total of four seasons in Canadian FB and F/Atlantic. Coristine recalls that this car destroyed in a transporter fire on its was to a race at Debert.
- March 74B [722?] (Charles "Chuck" Hansen): Charles Hansen (Tenafly, NJ) appears on the Westwood entry list at the beginning of 1974 with a March 722 twin cam and on the July Mosport Park entry list with a March 742. When the car finally appears, at Sanair two weeks later, it is described as a March 74B but it would be safe to assume this was an earlier car kitted to the latest specificiation. Hansen crashed at Sanair, after which George Follmer runs this car at Trois-Rivières (CMB noting that it was the Hansen car).
- Chevron B27 [27-74-17] (Peter W. Broeker): Chevron build record says sold to Peter Broeker, June 1974. This car was destroyed in a trailer fire in late 1974 on the way to Trois Rivieres.
- Rondel M1  (Roger Seacrist): New for Tom Pryce at Mantorp Park F2 in July 1973. Sold via Fred Opert to Roger Seacrist (Chicago, IL) for 1974 US SCCA FB. Advertised in 1976.
- Rondel M1  (Chris O'Brien): Henri Pescarolo's main car in F2 in 1973; used also by Schenken at Pau, Kinnekulle Ring and Rouen. Sold via Fred Opert to Chris O'Brien for Canadian Formula Atlantic in 1974 then probably back via Fred Opert and eventually sold to Randy Zimmer as a source of spares for his Can Am car. Still with Zimmer in 2010.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' orginal results.
North American Formula Atlantic race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Formula and On Track, information drawn from Canadian newspapers and results sheets where available.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.
Individual sources for this event
Autosport, Championship points summary sheet [OMH], CMB [OMH], Chevron build records and March 74B build records